Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2019, 01:55 AM   #1021
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plus one. Just saw it and really enjoyed it.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:01 AM   #1022
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
I watched Frozen 2 on the weekend and for those of you dreading this, it was actually really, really good.
I feel the opposite. I found the music to be boring. Some of the visualsnwere cool.like the scene when Elsa is in the sea battling with the horse but for the most part it felt like something that would have gone direct to VHS when I was a kid.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #1023
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The Baroness and I watched Ford vs Ferrari, aka Le Mans '66, last night. I highly recommend this movie and not just because I'm an endurance racing/Le Mans nerd. It's shot very well, the characters have great chemistry and are believable, and the story is told extremely well. However, there are some historical inaccuracies but they don't take away from the film. It's a movie, not a documentary, after all.

We watched Dr Sleep last weekend I actually really enjoyed the movie. I didn't know what to expect because it has been a very long time since I read and watched The Shining and, at that time, I didn't enjoy either. But I was pleasantly surprised by Dr Sleep although the one scene with the young baseball player was hard to watch.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:00 PM   #1024
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is easily the worst film in the Potterverse. What a convoluted piece of trash. I was expecting a bit of a mess considering this is a prequel and a sequel and is going to be jammed with fan service but they turned it up to 11. There were way too many new characters, side plots, and Potter references to keep track of. Then add in that the story and character development seemed disconnected from the first fantastic beasts and I really had no idea what was going on or gave any care towards the numerous twists. My biggest criticism of all though is wow this movie is boring with so many dull expositional scenes where nothing important happens. About halfway through I found myself drifting in and out of sleep with the flashy but unsatisfying CGI sequences being the only thing keeping me awake. 2/10.

This is going on my worst films of the decade list. Coming up with a list hasn't been as easy as I first thought since I usually avoid critically panned films.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:56 PM   #1025
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe the Harry Potter movies proper haven't continued in some form. I know they ran out of source material, but I bet if they threw enough cash at JK Rowling they'd get her blessing to continue with original screenplays (like George Lucas and Star Wars).

The continuing story of Harry Potter and his kids or whatever is a cash cow just sitting there, waiting.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #1026
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald is easily the worst film in the Potterverse. What a convoluted piece of trash. I was expecting a bit of a mess considering this is a prequel and a sequel and is going to be jammed with fan service but they turned it up to 11. There were way too many new characters, side plots, and Potter references to keep track of. Then add in that the story and character development seemed disconnected from the first fantastic beasts and I really had no idea what was going on or gave any care towards the numerous twists. My biggest criticism of all though is wow this movie is boring with so many dull expositional scenes where nothing important happens. About halfway through I found myself drifting in and out of sleep with the flashy but unsatisfying CGI sequences being the only thing keeping me awake. 2/10.

This is going on my worst films of the decade list. Coming up with a list hasn't been as easy as I first thought since I usually avoid critically panned films.
I remember that one being truly terrible. Not sure what happened as Fantastic Beasts showed some potential. Crimes of Grindewald was a hot steaming pile of garbage.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:39 PM   #1027
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I can't believe the Harry Potter movies proper haven't continued in some form. I know they ran out of source material, but I bet if they threw enough cash at JK Rowling they'd get her blessing to continue with original screenplays (like George Lucas and Star Wars).

The continuing story of Harry Potter and his kids or whatever is a cash cow just sitting there, waiting.
Part of the cash cow is the waiting though, no? Would Star Wars have been the sensation it was with Ep1 or TFA if they had come out just a few years after ROTJ? Or would have just ended up a tired old sci-fi franchise that only one generation of people cares about?

Something I hope Marvel learns with its "Infinity" Avengers. Let us miss them for a while.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:44 PM   #1028
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

The stage play is currently a cash cow. I'm guessing it will eventually be turned into a couple movies followed by a new film series about the Potter children or even a reboot of the entire series.

The prequels have shown that despite being a talented writer, Rowling is out of her element with screen plays. The first one was a total mess but was at least entertaining and did a good job setting up Newt and the prequel world. The 2nd didn't learn anything from this and doubled down on the mess.

Instead of trying to create this epic connected prequel world I would have preferred stand alone stories about Newt, or Dumbledore, or Grindelwald with loose connections to each other and the originals.
Old 12-02-2019, 04:58 AM   #1029
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the stage play "Cursed Child" is already a strong entry into the canon using the Potter children. However, it's going to be a long time before it's a film since the stage play pulls in so much.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:45 PM   #1030
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I think we will need to start a separate thread for these. Maybe 2 or 3 weeks from now?

I'm normally have a tough time with my own recency bias for decade-long lists, but this decade the films have been progressively worse over time, so I don't imagine it will be a factor.
Is it too soon for this thread? I wrote my list last week, are there really going to be some movies expected to crack the list in the next month?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 12:51 PM   #1031
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I remember that one being truly terrible. Not sure what happened as Fantastic Beasts showed some potential. Crimes of Grindewald was a hot steaming pile of garbage.

I don't know. Fantastic Beasts really put me to sleep. The story wasn't interesting, and it felt like the actors weren't interested. Having it set in the States made it a bit plain, also. The UK has a more magical aura about it.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 01:12 PM   #1032
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"Dolemite is my name" is excellent. It's about a 70's black comedian who becomes successful late in life by reinventing himself, than gambles everything by putting everything he has into making an insane movie. Similar to "The Disaster Artist" but I liked Dolemite more, but that might just be because I'm really familiar with the source material for TDA and don't think the film brought anything new or interesting to the table.

It's weird to see Eddie Murphy try, I don't think has done anything with his whole ass in 20 years, his passion for the subject matter really came across.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 04:47 AM   #1033
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
"Dolemite is my name" is excellent. It's about a 70's black comedian who becomes successful late in life by reinventing himself, than gambles everything by putting everything he has into making an insane movie. Similar to "The Disaster Artist" but I liked Dolemite more, but that might just be because I'm really familiar with the source material for TDA and don't think the film brought anything new or interesting to the table.

It's weird to see Eddie Murphy try, I don't think has done anything with his whole ass in 20 years, his passion for the subject matter really came across.
LOL, I had an old VHS copy of Rudy Ray Moore's standup (Dolemite). It was raunchy and clearly only for a black audience of a particular era. Not that funny, and almost stereotypically black in his speaking style, demeanor, and phrasing of jokes. Lots of catch phrases too. I immediately followed it with Richard Pryor's stand up at the same time and it's night and day different.

BTW, Pryor's stuff STILL stands up to this day. Incredible.

At any rate, I'll have to check this out. Murphy was very focused on his family for a while and only recently felt compelled to create again. A recent episode of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee provides a sense of that if you're interested.
Old 12-03-2019, 06:27 AM   #1034
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When Eddie Murphy wants to act, he absolutely nails it. I felt he did that in Dolomite. I thought it was a lot of fun, and he was clearly having fun doing it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 07:04 AM   #1035
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

not sure if thread worthy so throwing this here.
a CBC article about how Chinese censorship is changing the film industry.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainmen...ship-1.5381349
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:57 AM   #1036
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I decided we'd watch Cold Pursuit, becuase it was filmed around here and I thought it would be need to see some of that, despite my general dislike for Liam Neeson. We made it about 15 minutes, and he wasn't even the worst part. I can't tell you if the whole movie is bad, but the first 15 minutes were. Totally amateur hour on the writing with an incomprehensible time line. Not worth it.

Last edited by Fuzz; 12-03-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #1037
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Irishman took about an hour to get interesting but the middle and end were great. I realized I had a hard time with it since Hoffa is one of my favourite films and watching Pacino do Pacino things as Hoffa was tough to reconcile.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:25 AM   #1038
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually liked the new Hellboy. Pound for pound just as good as the first two.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #1039
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Irishman took about an hour to get interesting but the middle and end were great. I realized I had a hard time with it since Hoffa is one of my favourite films and watching Pacino do Pacino things as Hoffa was tough to reconcile.
how'd the de-aging come across for you?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #1040
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
how'd the de-aging come across for you?
Take it or leave it. Wasn’t full Polar Express but wasn’t seamless either. The only time in the film I was firmly like “oh come on” was during Deniro dispensing a beat down that was supposed to be young him but was clearly a geriatric man’s movements. That wasn’t directly de-aging related but it was so groan worthy. Like watching an angry grandfather in Home Depot fight a shower curtain.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote