Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2020, 04:47 PM   #941
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Yah, but they're gonna have crappy Mike Smith in net. I look forward to seeing the Smith meltdown.
The bottom three teams in the West playoffs are weak. There's no reason any team should have trouble walking through Chicago, Arizona or Minny. The middle teams teams are all so close. It just sucks that the Flames don't have one extra win so they could avoid the Jets in the first round.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #942
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have no problem with the format, I just don't want to watch hockey period in June and July. I also think the ratings will be lower than expected. I'm thinking most people will want to get outside and hopefully enjoy some nice weather or grab a bite to eat and socialize with people, not watch a screen. There will also be so much going on with many other leagues resuming and entertainment facilities opening back up. Personally I'm over this season, don't feel like reinvesting back into it. Start fresh in October.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
Old 05-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #943
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingred89 View Post
I wonder if the NHL has done market research on what type of ratings they will get if they resume the season over the summer. Briskly reading over this thread it seems the response is tepid. And that’s on a hockey forum. I’m sure I’ll tune into a few Flames games, but I wonder if the NHL will fall flat on its face here. Especially competing against all the other leagues and summer activities. And then there’s the what ifs. What if there is an outbreak, a second wave, a player gets ill? Do they keep stopping and starting just to push this through?
Most of the people excited for Hockey’s return aren’t posting

What’s the point. We get it, a few posters don’t think it’s fair or whatever. They would rather have no hockey for some weird , blurred line of championship “integrity“.

They won’t change their mind so most of us just ignore them and will watch all the people saying they won’t watch a non traditional playoffs posting after each Flames win how excited and much fun they are having

Every single person I talk to is pumped for summer hockey , having BBQs with friends and watching the games on the deck !
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jason14h For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #944
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
So we’re supposed to watch a league that changes rules on the fly whenever something comes up? Like I said before other leagues are carrying on no problem. Lockouts are a different beast as everyone is on the same page from the start, in this scenario I can’t stomach 12th seeded Chicago getting an easier matchup with Edmonton rather than 7th seeded Calgary with Winnipeg. I know a few people other than myself that view that as a corrupt move by the NHL.
So what’s your proposal?

Finish the regular season? Convince all the bottom feeder teams to play out the stretch? Do you honestly think that would fly?

Corrupt? Yeah, the NHL was just rubbing their hands together waiting for a pandemic to hit so they could just stick it to the Flames. That Wideman effect is still going strong eh?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:58 PM   #945
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
So what’s your proposal?

Finish the regular season? Convince all the bottom feeder teams to play out the stretch? Do you honestly think that would fly?

Corrupt? Yeah, the NHL was just rubbing their hands together waiting for a pandemic to hit so they could just stick it to the Flames. That Wideman effect is still going strong eh?
I propose freezing the standings via points% and having a 16 team playoffs with 2-3 warmup “pre season”games. Maintains league integrity and doesn’t completely invalidate the regular season up until this point.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:00 PM   #946
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Hate to break it to you. But the Oilers are better than the Jets.
Wrong, without their powerplay Edmonton would be the 12th place team. We all know there are less calls in the playoffs, the Jets are a much better team in every category.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:05 PM   #947
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Wrong, without their powerplay Edmonton would be the 12th place team. We all know there are less calls in the playoffs, the Jets are a much better team in every category.
Sorry, but you're wrong. The powerplay is part of the game. How the league ranks the teams is setup before the season begins. All the teams play by the same rules.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:15 PM   #948
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The bottom three teams in the West playoffs are weak. There's no reason any team should have trouble walking through Chicago, Arizona or Minny. The middle teams teams are all so close. It just sucks that the Flames don't have one extra win so they could avoid the Jets in the first round.
I wouldn't count out Kane or Toews, especially in a short series. Could get streaking at the right time.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #949
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I’m pretty nervous about a Flames-Jets series. Hellebuyck could wreck us.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 05:31 PM   #950
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Explain why Montreal gets an invite, but not Buffalo.
One of the ####ty teams in the East needs to get in to round out the 12 teams and the Habs are slightly less ####ty than the Sabres.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #951
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Sorry, but you're wrong. The powerplay is part of the game. How the league ranks the teams is setup before the season begins. All the teams play by the same rules.
Lol ok so you’re telling me with a straight face you’d rather face Winnipeg(elite top 9, good D, Hellebuyck) over the 2 man show up north with Mike Smith in net?
Old 05-22-2020, 05:49 PM   #952
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
I’m pretty nervous about a Flames-Jets series. Hellebuyck could wreck us.
I’ll give them the advantage on starting goalie. If these games are played in a Condensed schedule that some talking heads have said , then back-up goalies will be playing also. I would take flames tandem over jets.
Plus our D should be far better than the jets D.
Old 05-22-2020, 05:50 PM   #953
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Lol ok so you’re telling me with a straight face you’d rather face Winnipeg(elite top 9, good D, Hellebuyck) over the 2 man show up north with Mike Smith in net?
That has nothing to do with it.
Oilers are there because they were better this season. What happens in the playoffs is a different discussion.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
Old 05-22-2020, 05:54 PM   #954
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That has nothing to do with it.
Oilers are there because they were better this season. What happens in the playoffs is a different discussion.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
That’s fair but my point was that 12th place Chicago has an easier opponent than the 7th place Flames who deserve a playoff spot. Winnipeg has a superior team on paper and with this new format quite a few teams get shafted on top of the inevitable asterisk next to the winners name.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:07 PM   #955
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
So how does everyone think we stack up against Winnipeg?
They have the edge in net and in goal scoring. hellebuyck could decide the series all on his lonesome he is that good. but the flames have a dramatic advantage on defence. i wonder if the whistles will be put away right from the start, if so calgary can wear down an undersized and unproven jets blueline.

is your cat doing singing?
Old 05-22-2020, 06:08 PM   #956
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Jets have good D? Um no.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:20 PM   #957
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the Flames and Jets would be a pretty good matchup. I’d give the Flames the advantage on D and the Jets the advantage in goal and at forward.

I think the Flames need to play to take advantage of the Jets’ D. I think this means an aggressive forecheck.

The other strategic point is how do the Flames match up with Connor, Schiefele and Wheeler? What is the line that goes against that line? I don’t think it’s to the level of the MacKinnon line, but I think the Schiefele line would also destroy the Monahan line. I think Coach Ward would need to hard match Backlund on Schiefele and hope Backlund can hold on.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #958
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
The Jets have good D? Um no.
Definitely better than the Oil D, and with that elite top 9 you can bet they won’t be playing in their own end much. Not to mention the favoured Vezina candidate in net, do not like that matchup one bit.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #959
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder what training camp will look like? Could they play an exhibition game or two? That would certainly be helpful.

The teams most “disadvantaged” by this are those that were in a solid playoff spot and now have an extra playoff series. The Penguins are the best example of this.

I’m 100% all in. If the Flames go 3 and out, no doubt my interest will wane considerably but I’m kind of used to that.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:25 PM   #960
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1975091
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread