Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2020, 03:01 PM   #921
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

It will be pretty impossible to predict.

Some players will be somewhat out of shape having expected the year to be over. Some will be ready and raring to go. Some might not take these playoffs seriously and be unhappy with the isolation from family aspect. A .500 team could channel their inner preseason Oilers and go on a ridiculous run.

But damn if the x factors won't make it watchable to see what goes down. And even though the best constructed team may not win, it's undeniable that the best performing team over the duration will.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #922
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
For one thing, some rosters may get depleted by COVID.

The NHL's coronavirus pause: The keys to play resuming, latest on the 2020 draft, testing and more

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...t-testing-more
This will be interesting to see how many teams get impacted.

Players with risky conditions (Asthma, Diabetes, respiratory illnesses etc) might not play which can deplete rosters.

Though teams do have injuries as well during a season. Most teams have gotten their players back who would have probably missed the playoffs (Flames with a full and healthy d-core, Canucks with Markstrom, Guentzel for instance with the Penguins)
Old 05-22-2020, 03:05 PM   #923
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

obviously best team is really subjective, but the best team in the NHL last year was TBL and they got swept. You just never know. It will be easy to blame upsets on lack of form but upsets happen every year anyways.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:10 PM   #924
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's likely there will be several upsets and you can make a good case that the teams with byes will be at a disadvantage playing their first game in months against an opponent fresh off a series. .
That part is simply not true. The teams with byes will have three games against each other while the play-ins are going on before the 1st round of playoffs start. Intensity will be dialed down in those games for sure in comparison but they're not going in with totally fresh legs in their first game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There's nothing about this tournament that relates to a typical NHL season and playoffs as it's more akin to a World Cup of Hockey than NHL playoffs so I think regardless of what team wins they deserve an asterisk next to them.
They're playing four full rounds of playoffs, but it's like the World cup of hockey? That's a ridiculous statement.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:17 PM   #925
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also worth mentioning is the fact that Chicago(12th place) would get an easier matchup with Edmonton than we would with Winnipeg. It’s a big joke and they risk losing more fans in the long run.

I’m not saying to scrap the season I just want the original 16 team format for the playoffs. If you didn’t make the cut by points% then you didn’t make the cut...
Old 05-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #926
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Flames end up winning the cup, and Oiler / Canuck fans bring up the asterisk comment, it'll just make me rub it in their faces even more. It just makes those salty tears taste even more delicious.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:36 PM   #927
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Also worth mentioning is the fact that Chicago(12th place) would get an easier matchup with Edmonton than we would with Winnipeg. It’s a big joke and they risk losing more fans in the long run.

I’m not saying to scrap the season I just want the original 16 team format for the playoffs. If you didn’t make the cut by points% then you didn’t make the cut...
Who is gonna stop NHL forever because of what is happening in a once in a lifetime event that no one was ready for?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 03:41 PM   #928
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Who is gonna stop NHL forever because of what is happening in a once in a lifetime event that no one was ready for?

Yeah.

Also, I still watch the NHL despite what happened in 2004.

It was in.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:42 PM   #929
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

This NHL has evolved, we don't put an asterisk by all the original 6 teams when they only had to win 8 games. What about in the 80's when 76% of the league made the playoffs? Funny enough 24 of 31 is (77%), so sure it isn't 16 teams, but as far as how many make the post season it is right there.

At the end of the day the best teams this season will end up playing for the cup. There has always been, and always will be the David that takes down a Goliath. That is what sports is all about.
Old 05-22-2020, 03:48 PM   #930
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saying you won’t watch, or won’t be a fan of the NHL anymore is the adult equivalent of a toddler taking his ball and going home. Things aren’t exactly the way you want so you’ll stop watching entirely? It’s not fair?

You know what isn’t fair? COVID19. Job loss. Lockdowns. Deaths. But here we are.

You’re lucky to even have the subject of hockey to be discussed as a possibility. The resentment from some (seems to be a small crowd) towards this new idea/format is perplexing to me.

To each their own I guess. Perspective is a funny thing
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #931
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
This NHL has evolved, we don't put an asterisk by all the original 6 teams when they only had to win 8 games. What about in the 80's when 76% of the league made the playoffs? Funny enough 24 of 31 is (77%), so sure it isn't 16 teams, but as far as how many make the post season it is right there.

At the end of the day the best teams this season will end up playing for the cup. There has always been, and always will be the David that takes down a Goliath. That is what sports is all about.
And in 1989
16/21 (76%) Teams made playoffs

I can see this being the trial, and next year it becoming the new normal.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:14 PM   #932
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
Saying you won’t watch, or won’t be a fan of the NHL anymore is the adult equivalent of a toddler taking his ball and going home. Things aren’t exactly the way you want so you’ll stop watching entirely? It’s not fair?

You know what isn’t fair? COVID19. Job loss. Lockdowns. Deaths. But here we are.

You’re lucky to even have the subject of hockey to be discussed as a possibility. The resentment from some (seems to be a small crowd) towards this new idea/format is perplexing to me.

To each their own I guess. Perspective is a funny thing
So we’re supposed to watch a league that changes rules on the fly whenever something comes up? Like I said before other leagues are carrying on no problem. Lockouts are a different beast as everyone is on the same page from the start, in this scenario I can’t stomach 12th seeded Chicago getting an easier matchup with Edmonton rather than 7th seeded Calgary with Winnipeg. I know a few people other than myself that view that as a corrupt move by the NHL.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:18 PM   #933
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if the NHL has done market research on what type of ratings they will get if they resume the season over the summer. Briskly reading over this thread it seems the response is tepid. And that’s on a hockey forum. I’m sure I’ll tune into a few Flames games, but I wonder if the NHL will fall flat on its face here. Especially competing against all the other leagues and summer activities. And then there’s the what ifs. What if there is an outbreak, a second wave, a player gets ill? Do they keep stopping and starting just to push this through?
Old 05-22-2020, 04:22 PM   #934
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
So we’re supposed to watch a league that changes rules on the fly whenever something comes up?
It was a global pandemic, not a whim.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #935
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So we’re supposed to watch a league that changes rules on the fly whenever something comes up? Like I said before other leagues are carrying on no problem. Lockouts are a different beast as everyone is on the same page from the start, in this scenario I can’t stomach 12th seeded Chicago getting an easier matchup with Edmonton rather than 7th seeded Calgary with Winnipeg. I know a few people other than myself that view that as a corrupt move by the NHL.
Holy cow I feel like when Luke Skywalker said "amazing. Every word you just said was wrong"

1) I don't think it is fair to just say "something came up." A worldwide pandemic happened. Some changes had to happen

2) We talked about this earlier in the thread. Other leagues carried on because they do not have a playoff format. You even said "okay I will give you that one." Not that many leagues have continued yet.

3) If you are unhappy with Chicago getting an "easier" matchup than Calgary, then maybe the Flames should have gotten more points.
The Following User Says Thank You to colbym72 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #936
Dragomir
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post

3) If you are unhappy with Chicago getting an "easier" matchup than Calgary, then maybe the Flames should have gotten more points.
They did get more points than 12th place Chicago, what’s your point? The question should be why is Chicago even in the playoffs.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:34 PM   #937
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
They did get more points than 12th place Chicago, what’s your point? The question should be why is Chicago even in the playoffs.
Hate to break it to you. But the Oilers are better than the Jets.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2020, 04:37 PM   #938
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Quick! Someone! Anyone! Our friend has lost faith that E=NG!
Old 05-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #939
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Yah, but they're gonna have crappy Mike Smith in net. I look forward to seeing the Smith meltdown.
Old 05-22-2020, 04:45 PM   #940
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Happy to see this advance, interested to see how it's to be structured.
As far as I am concerned, every team has an equal shot of winning.

As I have said before, there is zero way to predict on each team who is going to play to the same level physically with 2 months off and restricted training, and even bigger, who is mentally going to be at the same level as they were the middle of March. And then, how those factors play into each other and how it relates to the team aspect.

Some guys will be in better shape, some will be be in worse, some will get hurt early, some will be refreshed. Some guys won't have their heads in the gamez because of all that's going on in the world and with family or friends, and being isolated in the site's they set up, and no fans in the rink. Some guys may be in a better mental state because of the above because they don't have those distractions.

The players and thus the teams are not going to come back and pick up where they left off like robots. It's going to be different for everyone and those who can adapt to all the "different" the best mentally, physically, emotionally, and have the most number of teammates do the same, will win.
Closed Thread