Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-01-2009, 08:55 AM   #281
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone here who has Sirius enjoying Mandatory Metallica on Liquid Metal as much as I am?
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:04 AM   #282
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Anyone here who has Sirius enjoying Mandatory Metallica on Liquid Metal as much as I am?
definitely not, in fact i'm pissed that my metal station is off the air for an entire month and i have to listen to other stations instead. Sirius plays enough Metallica as it is on all the various rock stations, there doesn't need to be a dedicated channel for them
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:26 AM   #283
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
definitely not, in fact i'm pissed that my metal station is off the air for an entire month and i have to listen to other stations instead. Sirius plays enough Metallica as it is on all the various rock stations, there doesn't need to be a dedicated channel for them
Fair enough. I was pissed when Boneyard or Buzzsaw or whatever it is called now was AC/DC for a month.
Old 04-01-2009, 02:10 PM   #284
dcmort93
Draft Pick

Quote:
F*** Ya im enjoying it even though i have all their albums so i can listen to it whenever
dcmort93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 02:13 PM   #285
Phaneuf3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Right now I'd sad the new Absu album is the leader for me, followed by the new (upcomming) Mastodon.

This year is going to be an awesome year for metal releases. These bands are all expected to have albums this year:
Acheron, Acid Witch, Ahab, Amorphis, Anaal Nathrakh, Anata, Artillery, Atheist, Augury, Avulsed, Behemoth, Belphegor, Benediction, Bornkagar, Circle of Dead Children, Darkthrone, Decrepit Birth, Deicide, Devin Townsned (THREE RELEASES), Finntroll, Forbidden, Heathen, High on Fire, Hypocrisy, Illdisposed, Iron Maiden, Isole, Kalmah, Korpiklaani, Månegarm, Megadeth, Melechesh, Municipal Waste, Necrophagist, Nile, Novembers Doom, Obituary, Old Man's Child, Shining, Sigh, Slayer, Suffocation, Swallow the Sun, Thanatos, The Project Hate MCMXCIX, To-Mera, Vader, Wintersun.
I don't really keep as close tabs on metal as i used to but....
new ahab, townsend, novembers doom and swallow the sun?!
DAMN! just when you try to get yourself out the pull you back in
Phaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #286
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

King Diamond will soon be releasing two DVD's, one for Kind Diamond and the other is Mercyful Fate. Can't wait to get these!
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 06:54 PM   #287
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
When I found it last week I was totally stoked! But after listening to Unforgiven I three times today, I'm not as pleased as I once was.

(Edit: Once again, not seeing who was logged in...Post from Puxlut. Baby brain is setting in...)
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 07:18 PM   #288
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Right now I'd sad the new Absu album is the leader for me, followed by the new (upcomming) Mastodon.

This year is going to be an awesome year for metal releases. These bands are all expected to have albums this year:
Acheron, Acid Witch, Ahab, Amorphis, Anaal Nathrakh, Anata, Artillery, Atheist, Augury, Avulsed, Behemoth, Belphegor, Benediction, Bornkagar, Circle of Dead Children, Darkthrone, Decrepit Birth, Deicide, Devin Townsned (THREE RELEASES), Finntroll, Forbidden, Heathen, High on Fire, Hypocrisy, Illdisposed, Iron Maiden, Isole, Kalmah, Korpiklaani, Månegarm, Megadeth, Melechesh, Municipal Waste, Necrophagist, Nile, Novembers Doom, Obituary, Old Man's Child, Shining, Sigh, Slayer, Suffocation, Swallow the Sun, Thanatos, The Project Hate MCMXCIX, To-Mera, Vader, Wintersun.
Wintersun will never release Time, it is like Duke Nukem Forever, will be in production for 15 years, then we will hear a 1 minute audio clip. This saddens me as Wintersun is one of the best bands. Although the best band, Kalmah is recording some stuff (I think there done like 3-5 songs already), so I am super stoked for that. Everything they make is awesome. New Megadeth and Slayer is always good too. And like always Maiden. Hopefully this year doesn't dissapoint like last year did (Judas with Nostradamus, CoB with Blood Drunk).
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #289
Sittler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Came across leaked copies of the new Devy project (Ki) and OSI (Blood). So far they are definitely tops of 2009. Incredible artists/discs. Wouldn't necessarily classify either as Metal, but if you are open-minded...
Sittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 11:43 AM   #290
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittler View Post
Came across leaked copies of the new Devy project (Ki) and OSI (Blood). So far they are definitely tops of 2009. Incredible artists/discs. Wouldn't necessarily classify either as Metal, but if you are open-minded...
Yep, Ki is fantastic.

I can't wait for Devin's other two releases this year!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:13 AM   #291
Sittler
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Here's a really good interview with Devy. Sounds like after he's done with this quadrilogy it could be more of a ambient vein of music? Anyway, everything he's done has been solid gold in my opinion.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/bla...sitemID=120580

Also, the new Bloodhorse (Horizoner) is fantastic.
Sittler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:05 PM   #292
Bibtin Tex
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anybody have any suggestions for some bands that play good thrash metal?

I listen to a lot of metal, but mostly old Metallica, some Iron Maiden, and I usually find some songs here and there by different bands, but can't seem to get into their sound as much as I've gotten into Metallica.
Bibtin Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:15 PM   #293
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Has anyone brought up the band Skeletonwitch? Get the album Beyond the Permafrost. If you want to try one song, try just Beyond the Permafrost. I think it is a true metal classic.

Trust me on this, download the song! Get the rest of the album later!!!

Here is a review:

http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/bandpage.php?ID=Skel
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 03:17 AM   #294
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibtin Tex View Post

I listen to a lot of metal, but mostly old Metallica, some Iron Maiden, and I usually find some songs here and there by different bands, but can't seem to get into their sound as much as I've gotten into Metallica.
Thrash metal:

Toxic Holocaust
Anthrax
Slayer
Megadeth
Annihilator (Canadian)
Evile (you can tell they were influenced by Metallica)
Exodus
Kreator
Sodom
Destruction
Testament

There are tons of thrash bands, those are just the ones I can think of right now. Try and get away from Metallica, they are good, but they are overrated.
Old 06-17-2009, 04:15 AM   #295
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Hmm, I could point out one of my draft pick albums, the Gathering by Testament.

http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpos...&postcount=736

Their newest album The Formation of Damnation is supposedly good too, haven't found the need to listen to it yet, as I don't actually listen to thrash that much. I also own the Ritual by the same band, it's not bad.

As another note, unrelated to thrash metal, I'd like to praise my latest metal discovery, Madder Mortem. I have their two latest albums, Desiderata and Eight Ways, and it seems I can't listen to much anything else now.

I really like the vocalist Agnete Kirkegaad, it's way too rare to hear skillful female singers who are not afraid to go for the rough and "ugly" sounds too, and fronting a band that's actually worth mentioning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF9OVy1tUmQ
http://www.myspace.com/maddermortem

Oh, and I guess I'll have to mention Cantata Sangui too, because I found Madder Mortem because some critic compared Cantata to Madder, so I think if you like one there's a good chance you'll like the other too, that's how it went for me anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rn1drD9dJQ
(That's their only folk-metalish track, but it's a good one.)
http://www.myspace.com/cantatasangui

Last edited by Itse; 06-17-2009 at 04:44 AM.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 07:59 AM   #296
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you like Maiden check out Helloween, I have 4 of their discs and they are pretty awesome.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #297
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you like Maiden check out Helloween, I have 4 of their discs and they are pretty awesome.
Helloween rules. There newest CD Gambling with the Devil is awesome.
Old 06-18-2009, 10:05 AM   #298
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

BTW, I just found out (event though it happened a while ago) that Brave Words and Bloody Knuckles (BW&BK) has suspended publishing.

They were hammered by the drop in advertising revenue.

The website and radio programs are still ongoing.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #299
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
As another note, unrelated to thrash metal, I'd like to praise my latest metal discovery, Madder Mortem. I have their two latest albums, Desiderata and Eight Ways, and it seems I can't listen to much anything else now.
wow, you're the only other person that i've come across who know who they are. so far i'm preferring Desiderata to the new one, though i haven't had time to let it grow on me. you might want to check out a couple of other female fronted bands, Ava Inferi and Luna Mortis. both bands have vocalists that aren't your standard soaring female sort
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 04:12 AM   #300
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
wow, you're the only other person that i've come across who know who they are. so far i'm preferring Desiderata to the new one, though i haven't had time to let it grow on me.
I noticed that they seem to be pretty obscure, one of the reasons I wanted to mention them here. Just not a band you'll easily run into, and they're definitely good enough to earn a little more attention.

And yeah, I think Desiderata is the better one of those two albums too, but it's a bit of a mood thing, Eight Ways is not as dark, it reminds me of Gathering (the Dutch band) somewhat.

I went ahead and ordered the two previous Madder Mortem albums too (All Flesh Is Grass and Deadlands), as some of the tracks seemed really good on YouTube. Can't wait to get my hands on them.

Quote:
you might want to check out a couple of other female fronted bands, Ava Inferi and Luna Mortis. both bands have vocalists that aren't your standard soaring female sort
I've heard good things about Ava Inferi, I guess I'll have to check those out once I've gotten my fill of Madder.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote