Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2020, 03:11 PM   #1701
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
The fact that some people weren't initially enamored with the Hamilton trade has absolutely nothing to do with the expectations for a Gaudreau trade.
Yes and no. They are not directly related but it does test the waters for reactions based on expectations. Expectations so far is a substantial haul of cheap future stars and nary a contract coming back. That expectation is not realistic and people are going to be critical when the team doesn't get back what they expected. We can go back to any number of trades to prove the point. Iginla. Bouwmeester. Hamilton. And so on. Expectations for a Gaudreau trade are already unreasonable. Disappointment is certain to follow. It's human nature.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 03:44 PM   #1702
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Give that Hamilton trade another season and it's not out of the realm that the Flames are out the two best players in that trade.

Context is needed in that Fox was not going to sign, and that Hamilton himself is a guy who will command a pretty nice payday after the next season happens. The two guys coming back will still be signed for 3 more years at reasonable amounts...although that's very Coates era...in that you gave up the best players to save some money.

But had Hamilton only been traded on his own, and the Flames traded Fox to the Rangers at the same time, what could the Flames have brought back? Probably more assets, but again, less win now, and more win in the future type assets.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:46 PM   #1703
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved that Hamilton trade thread. So. Much. Salt.

Oh the height of the rage when Ferland and Fox were included.

Still my favorite trade ever. All for the fact they traded 2 of my least favorite Flames ever for my Favorite current Flame. Just the best feeling.
Old 07-14-2020, 03:47 PM   #1704
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yup and give it two years and Hamilton will be making $8-9 million well into his 30s and Fox will be making $6-7 while both the Flames' guys will still be making sub-$5.

I don't care about Fox's inclusion in the trade one bit. I think it's largely irrelevant and if it had to happen to make the trade go down, so be it.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 04:13 PM   #1705
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Yes and no. They are not directly related but it does test the waters for reactions based on expectations. Expectations so far is a substantial haul of cheap future stars and nary a contract coming back. That expectation is not realistic and people are going to be critical when the team doesn't get back what they expected. We can go back to any number of trades to prove the point. Iginla. Bouwmeester. Hamilton. And so on. Expectations for a Gaudreau trade are already unreasonable. Disappointment is certain to follow. It's human nature.
You ignore the fact that both Buffalo and New Jersey easily have both the assets and cap space to trade for Johnny with the Flames clearing substantial cap space and acquiring primarily futures.

I predict the Flames free up at minimum $3M in cap space when they trade Gaudreau. This is how they afford to fit Hall under the cap, re-sign Mangipane and spend some money on the back end.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:46 PM   #1706
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
We could also list trades where people DID like the return. Makes no difference.

Also, you talk like a Gaudreau trade is a foregone conclusion. Lets of assumptions about pure speculation.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:55 PM   #1707
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

If a Gaudreau trade happens it won't be a pleasant thread. Plain and simple. No one hates Gaudreau, no one wants to see him go, its gonna be a somber day regardless of return.

Fun thing about all these trade scenarios is we aren't really predicting trades so much as telling people what we like.

I've come to the realization that just like a drat board, there's is not real table of value for players. There's precedents but no organization has a set list for player values like any other team.

Its all best guess.work. if tree went out and traded Johnny for a bunch of names we don't know about, we'd be calling for his head. But they're the ones who do the work, compiling assets lists and prioritizing needs.

End of the day, we are all setting our own tables up for great let downs. Expectations too high.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 05:56 PM   #1708
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Yup and give it two years and Hamilton will be making $8-9 million well into his 30s and Fox will be making $6-7 while both the Flames' guys will still be making sub-$5.

I don't care about Fox's inclusion in the trade one bit. I think it's largely irrelevant and if it had to happen to make the trade go down, so be it.
If anything, Carolina got the worst of the deal. We used Fox to grab 2 quality players, Carolina had to trade Fox to NYR for a measly 2nd and cond. 3rd round pick because the loser only wanted to play for one team. Fox's value didn't explode until after the Calgary/Carolina trade.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think the trade was just going to be Hamilton and Lindholm one for one, then once BT found out the news on Fox having no intention to sign here, we were able to add Ferland to Fox to grab Hanifin.

Last edited by ForeverFlameFan; 07-14-2020 at 05:59 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:52 PM   #1709
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://mobile.twitter.com/BeerLeagu...omanov-echl%2F

John Shannon thinks it is Arizona, Montreal or Calgary that will be after Hall
Old 07-14-2020, 10:56 PM   #1710
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is so weird. Such a long break and it feels like the off season right now, but all these players still have to play games for their current teams before any trades/signings can happen. Just so out of sync.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:08 PM   #1711
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
You ignore the fact that both Buffalo and New Jersey easily have both the assets and cap space to trade for Johnny with the Flames clearing substantial cap space and acquiring primarily futures.

I predict the Flames free up at minimum $3M in cap space when they trade Gaudreau. This is how they afford to fit Hall under the cap, re-sign Mangipane and spend some money on the back end.
If they’re only going to save 3 million, I’d rather move Ryan for a pick. Try load up the roster this year. If it doesn’t work, trade Gaudreau next year.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:12 PM   #1712
getoverit
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Doesn’t Gaudreau have to provide a list of a select few teams going into the last year of his contract. His value is now not next year
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
If they’re only going to save 3 million, I’d rather move Ryan for a pick. Try load up the roster this year. If it doesn’t work, trade Gaudreau next year.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:14 PM   #1713
blender
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
...pure speculation.
In the Trade Speculation and rumours thread no less.
Old 07-14-2020, 11:35 PM   #1714
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
If anything, Carolina got the worst of the deal. We used Fox to grab 2 quality players, Carolina had to trade Fox to NYR for a measly 2nd and cond. 3rd round pick because the loser only wanted to play for one team. Fox's value didn't explode until after the Calgary/Carolina trade.

This is pure speculation on my part, but I think the trade was just going to be Hamilton and Lindholm one for one, then once BT found out the news on Fox having no intention to sign here, we were able to add Ferland to Fox to grab Hanifin.
BT said that he was very reluctant to trade Ferland, and had to really think about it, making me think it was Fox in the original trade and Ferly was the throw-in. Either way, Fox wasn't going to sign here so at least we got something for him, and Ferly was breaking down.
Old 07-15-2020, 12:31 AM   #1715
The Wolfman
Draft Pick

Why do we want to trade Johnny? When did he become the whipping boy? In my opinion Johnny makes guys around him better when Johnny is feeling it he carries a line changing a game. Hall is a really good player but does not bring that to a line, he goes north south with speed but he doesn’t elevate other players like JG does. To trade Johnny it has to be mind blowing unless Johnny wants out why move him for some of this junk people are posting on here?
The Following User Says Thank You to The Wolfman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 01:11 AM   #1716
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolfman View Post
Why do we want to trade Johnny? When did he become the whipping boy? In my opinion Johnny makes guys around him better when Johnny is feeling it he carries a line changing a game. Hall is a really good player but does not bring that to a line, he goes north south with speed but he doesn’t elevate other players like JG does. To trade Johnny it has to be mind blowing unless Johnny wants out why move him for some of this junk people are posting on here?

It has been decided that Johnny wants to leave Calgary, and play in, I believe, Philadelphia.

Not through any specific indication from Johnny himself, just through tribal wisdom
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 01:50 AM   #1717
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most people on this board are too smart to base trade speculation of this kind on "tribal wisdom". True, sports fans in Canada have an inferiority complex when it comes to keeping, and/or retaining pro athletes. Fact of the matter is-two well known Flames insiders have said without any hesitation that Johnny WILL NOT sign here again. The talk about trading Johnny is based on getting some assets before losing him for nothing.
Old 07-15-2020, 01:57 AM   #1718
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
It has been decided that Johnny wants to leave Calgary, and play in, I believe, Philadelphia.

Not through any specific indication from Johnny himself, just through tribal wisdom
Or..........speculation of him re-signing in Calgary or not. If he will, fine. If he won't then Treliving needs to trade him for maximum trade value before he loses him for nothing. Which is sooner rather than later.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2020, 04:00 AM   #1719
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Most people on this board are too smart to base trade speculation of this kind on "tribal wisdom". True, sports fans in Canada have an inferiority complex when it comes to keeping, and/or retaining pro athletes. Fact of the matter is-two well known Flames insiders have said without any hesitation that Johnny WILL NOT sign here again. The talk about trading Johnny is based on getting some assets before losing him for nothing.
Did you just refer to Eric Francis as an insider? Lol.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:04 AM   #1720
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, everyone is referring to Ryan Leslie not Francis.
Closed Thread