Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon59 Joe Murphy, homeless in Regina.

This was on CTV, wow. Crazy how easy you can go from a great situation and presumably set for life to just nothing.

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/video?clip...CHUWR8i_FEWWSs
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:30 AM   #2
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe TSN did a segment on this about 2 years ago. I guess he still hasn't got help to treat himself. It is sad.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 10:53 AM   #3
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I remember the story about him a couple years back but he was in Ontario. There were other former NHLers trying to get him help. Sadly it doesn't sound like anything has improved.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is tough to see.
Between the brain injuries and the fentanyl that is now part of the drug supply, I fear the outcome of this.

You don't want to revoke a person's rights but at what point has a person lost the ability to keep themselves safe?

It's good to see that he isn't directly blaming the league as concussions were poorly understood for a long time in the medical profession as well as pro sports. This does illustrate that the league really does need to establish a long-term aftercare program for the players that made this league what it is.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:07 PM   #5
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
This is tough to see.
Between the brain injuries and the fentanyl that is now part of the drug supply, I fear the outcome of this.

You don't want to revoke a person's rights but at what point has a person lost the ability to keep themselves safe?

It's good to see that he isn't directly blaming the league as concussions were poorly understood for a long time in the medical profession as well as pro sports. This does illustrate that the league really does need to establish a long-term aftercare program for the players that made this league what it is.

Isn't this the responsibility of the NHLPA? He played over 700 games, that entitles him to a pension. Surely the NHLPA has a mechanism to enable him to access that money early if need be? Also, as an Association they should have medical insurance programs that former members could be a part of as alumi.

The failure is not only on the NHL's part. The NHL should take care of players, sure, but the NHLPA needs to step up and take care of their brothers.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 12:26 PM   #6
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Isn't this the responsibility of the NHLPA? He played over 700 games, that entitles him to a pension. Surely the NHLPA has a mechanism to enable him to access that money early if need be? Also, as an Association they should have medical insurance programs that former members could be a part of as alumi.

The failure is not only on the NHL's part. The NHL should take care of players, sure, but the NHLPA needs to step up and take care of their brothers.
Absolutely, I never meant to exclude the union from this. The union should bear more of the responsiblity but it would be good to see both sides work together to support these players after the game is finished with them.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 01:02 PM   #7
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Baron View Post
Absolutely, I never meant to exclude the union from this. The union should bear more of the responsiblity but it would be good to see both sides work together to support these players after the game is finished with them.
If you can find the TSN story, I believe it was called “Finding Murph” they go into the PAs role, the alumni’s role in all this. Iirc Murphy burned many bridges along the way, and there’s been a number of alumni try to help him, including Trevor Kidd. There was some about Hilo’s pension in there too. I will see if a I. An find the story.

Here’s the TSN story

Last edited by Derek Sutton; 08-28-2020 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Found the video
Derek Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derek Sutton For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 06:53 AM   #8
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
I believe TSN did a segment on this about 2 years ago. I guess he still hasn't got help to treat himself. It is sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Yeah I remember the story about him a couple years back but he was in Ontario. There were other former NHLers trying to get him help. Sadly it doesn't sound like anything has improved.
Here's the thread and it was from 2 years ago with subsequent posts to last year. https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showth...ghlight=murphy
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks, I suspected there was already a thread on this but it didn't turn up in my searches.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:33 AM   #10
loob job
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We should start a go fund me for a better haircut for that news anchor.....wow.
loob job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:27 AM   #11
EastCoastFlamesFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hate to see this. Story broke my heart two year ago when I first heard about this. I think it was Trevor Kidd of all people who was working to help JM.

Also, there was a story a few years ago about Matt Johnson that was similar to what Murphy was going through. Was there ever any updated on that?
EastCoastFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote