Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2020, 12:11 PM   #61
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gio has a full NTC until the day free agency starts (Nov 1 IIRC?) and then it's a partial NTC where he list 19 teams he CAN be traded to. I seriously doubt he'd waive for a bottom feeder like Detroit and finish his final two seasons on a probable non playoff team.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #62
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the Flames need is for Gio to be pushed down to 2nd pairing left side Dman. I have no confidence in Hanifin to do that. Valimaki might be on the verge of doing it had he not just missed an entire season.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 12:14 PM   #63
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I don't know who you are arguing with this about? Is there not pretty much wide agreement that the team needs to protect and acquire more picks? Bingo's analysis is that they are doing well with the picks they have, it doesn't theorize that they should therefore be OK with having few picks.
Well I don't think I am arguing, I am responding in a discussion to Robbob about the red wings looking bad in their drafting.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #64
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Personally I think Gio is a lifer with the Flames whether he would accept a trade or not.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:17 PM   #65
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Well I don't think I am arguing, I am responding in a discussion to Robbob about the red wings looking bad in their drafting.
Well the "Bingo is content" part was certainly loaded.

I said twice in this topic that the Flames have given up too many picks, and it's a valid criticism.

Nobody is content.

Just pointing out that they've done well with what they've had ... which was the original question. It's worth looking into what a scouting staff has done with what they've been given, certainly points to better times ahead if they stop bleeding picks.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 01:28 PM   #66
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Well the "Bingo is content" part was certainly loaded.

I said twice in this topic that the Flames have given up too many picks, and it's a valid criticism.

Nobody is content.

Just pointing out that they've done well with what they've had ... which was the original question. It's worth looking into what a scouting staff has done with what they've been given, certainly points to better times ahead if they stop bleeding picks.
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but when you say drafting has been pretty good especially in light of the lack of picks, I think it's reasonable to conclude that you're content with the drafting and very happy with it in light of the pack of picks.

I'm not trying to be loaded and I don't think my characterization of your argument is, otherwise I'd assume your criticism of the lack of picks would be the focus of your response.
Old 08-28-2020, 02:34 PM   #67
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not trying to put words in your mouth, but when you say drafting has been pretty good especially in light of the lack of picks, I think it's reasonable to conclude that you're content with the drafting and very happy with it in light of the pack of picks.

I'm not trying to be loaded and I don't think my characterization of your argument is, otherwise I'd assume your criticism of the lack of picks would be the focus of your response.
How about just leave it as I said it and don't extrapolate anything?

What I said when I posted the stats ...

"So you can say Treliving moves too many picks, but the scouting staff is doing very very well in finding talent up and down the draft board."

Not sure how you could get that I'm content that they've moved picks out of that statement.

Later on ...

"Bottom line ... any team that gets top ten results out of bottom two number of picks is doing something right."

Not suggesting at all that I'm content with moving picks, but pointing out they're bringing more talent than you'd expect given the number of picks.

When pressed further ...

"Well considering the fact that my statements have all centered around the fact that they've done a good job getting bang for buck, and even said it was valid criticism that they don't have enough picks I don't feel I'm avoiding those criticisms."

Reiterated that it was a valid criticism that they've moved too many picks.

This looks more to me that you don't want to give them credit for what they've done with the picks they have, than I being content, or overlooking that they've moved too many picks.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #68
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious but how many were happy with the trades Treliving made that moved out picks at the time? I get the sense that it is becoming more acceptable to be critical of these trades now. At the time it seemed there were a lot of comments about how turning picks into bonafide NHLers was good value.

Even the Lazar trade had supporters pointing out how unlikely a 2nd rounder was to turn into an NHLer.

I guess you can justify any trade if you’re so inclined. NHL GM’s aren’t stupid and don’t go around looking to make bad moves after all.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2020, 10:40 PM   #69
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:
Looking at their draft history since 2014, in the same time Treliving has been the GM in Calgary, with Holland at the helm in Detroit. Here is what they have after the 1st. My initial comment was about Holland BTW.

2014 (6 picks after the 1st round)
Christoffer Ehn 114 games
Dominic Turgeon 9 games

2015 (5 picks)
No players

2016 (6 picks)
Giovanni Smith 21 games
Filip Hronek 111 games

2017 (10 picks)
Gustav Lindstrom 16 games

2018 (8 picks)
No games played but super early.

That is a lot of bullets in the chamber as Treliving would say. 35 picks and 5 players. The concensus from hockey writers has Lindstrom at 8th. Maybe Hronek can be something.

Flames picks in that same time amounts to 27 picks. Anderson, Dube, Fox, and Mangipane look like great picks. Klyington looks like a good pick. All the mentioned players have played a decent amount of games and or significant roles. Wolf, Ruzikca, Pettersen and Pospisil look intriguing. Could also throw Phillips and Zavgorodniy.

So yeah, I think Holland has not really delivered.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #70
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I keep forgetting to post in this thread as I listened to the podcast in the car.

Great job guys! Hard to believe its been as long as it has.

I enjoyed the discussion and thought provoking analysis.

Hopefully there will be more in the future

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2020, 05:23 PM   #71
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Just curious but how many were happy with the trades Treliving made that moved out picks at the time? I get the sense that it is becoming more acceptable to be critical of these trades now. At the time it seemed there were a lot of comments about how turning picks into bonafide NHLers was good value.

Even the Lazar trade had supporters pointing out how unlikely a 2nd rounder was to turn into an NHLer.

I guess you can justify any trade if you’re so inclined. NHL GM’s aren’t stupid and don’t go around looking to make bad moves after all.
and some GMs are better than others and take advantage of the weaker ones and out-perform them, it’s a competition.

Your team can’t win on the ice if it’s getting beat in the boardroom.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #72
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Detroit is an obvious landing spot for Giordano as they have 2 35+ year old defenders hitting UFA this year with good young d prospects needing mentorship and is decently close to his hometown.

They probably have the interest in him at full salary that a competitive won't as they are currently below the cap floor for next year, so salary coming back, Calgary's biggest issue, is not a concern in a deal with them.

Then use the picks coming from Detroit to flip in a deal as sweeteners with another team.
Mark Giordano lives in Calgary full time all year. This is his home.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 12:52 PM   #73
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are we getting another one of these soon?
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2020, 01:08 PM   #74
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Jiri has talked about doing more after the draft and UFA season has settled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2020, 01:27 PM   #75
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah when there is a little more flames news we will rip one off
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote