Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #61
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

1) Mostly no. Always been more of a Flames/Team Canada fan than a hockey fan.

2) Will watch when I can. Maybe not if they sell off Gaudreau and Monahan for futures and tank as many of you wish.

3) I'd have said diehard in the past, now I'm more casual.

4) Money. If I were to start going to a lot of games in person, I might start supporting the team where I live now. Or if the Flames leave Calgary.

5) It's not a great product. I think they should set a tight officiating standard and stick to it. If you're behind your mark as a defender, I don't see how you can legally touch him, yet it happens all the time. Getting hacked, punches after the whistle, etc. are thing I would want no part of in the sports I play, and when I see them it's just needless thuggery. Hockey is this weird hybrid between a game of skill (which I enjoy) and a blood sport (which I do not), and I wish it would leave the blood sport aspect behind. Where's the fun in watching Gaudreau lose the puck because he's got a stick blade poking him in the stomach? It's not like I ever think "man, that guy hooking him just made a brilliant play, put that on SportsCentre!" It's low skill, it's cheap, and it takes away from high skill plays. If there wasn't a hockey team in Calgary when I was growing up there, I think I'd spend as much time watching it as I do the NFL. Which is to say, not much.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 03:43 PM   #62
bugsy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

1) Nope, once the Flames are out, I'm not invested/interested. May watch bits and pieces of games, but otherwise, nope.

2) Same as usual. Will catch all the games, if I can.

3) Die hard. Calgary born, Flames fan for life.

4) Not happening, for better or worse.

5) The usual complaints with iffy reffing aside, I'm happy with it for the most part.
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 04:05 PM   #63
JeanLucPicard
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

1) I usually only watch some games of the last series of playoffs if Flames are not in it. So as usual, I won't watch any more hockey until the last series.

2) Not likely, and much less than 19/20 season. Unless there is a big change in the roster.

3) Interested Flames fan. I used to be die-hard fan from 04 to around 2010.

4) I will never switch teams. I live in Edmonton, and I do enjoy watching Oilers games with my mom and sister, and make fun of them for being oilers fan, but I will always be a Flames fan even though I don't have a strong connection with the city of Calgary since I moved away.

5) I think NHL is great! Despite the Flames being not a very good team, its still nice to know I can tune in after a hard day of work to watch games. I don't really watch NBA, CFL/NFL, MLB etc
JeanLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 01:31 AM   #64
circle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

1) Are you going to continue to watch the playoffs or are you going to pack in in and wait for the start of the offseason activities?

I will continue to watch the playoffs. Hockey in my mind has never been more exciting with the level of talented younger stars really thriving in today's game. Most of the teams left are pretty fun to watch, even the Islanders that plays defense-first hockey are exciting to watch because of Barzal.

2) How likely are you next year to dedicate a lot of time to watching Flames hockey?

Extremely likely. No matter how frustrating it is, this is the team I grew up watching and have been cheering for my whole life and not watching would leave a void in my day-to-day life from Fall to Spring.

3) Would you consider yourself a die hard flames fan, a interested flames fan, a casual flames fan?

Die-hard. Highs are high (few) and lows are low (many), but just gotta keep cheering.

4) What would it take for you to switch team allegiances?

The Flames would need to relocate, change team names, turnover the roster AND a new NHL team would have to come to the city for me to cheer for someone else.

5) Do you think that the on ice product that is provided by the NHL a) Its great hockey don't change a thing b) Its not a great product, I watch it because there's not a lot out there or I feel obligated c) I'm thinking of being done with the NHL.

Going with A. Although many of the systems that teams are running are similar to one another (drop-passes and umbrellas on the PP, 2-1-1 on the PK, etc.), so many of the players are just electrifying to watch that they can break down rigid structures that can make overall play boring. Definitely some gripes with some of the rules that they've put in place like the offside and goaltender interference challenges, but overall, I think as these things mature, the NHL is figuring out how best to implement them.
Old 08-23-2020, 01:49 AM   #65
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

1) Casually keep up to date, but unlikely to dedicate any time to watching specifically.

2) Moderately likely. Hockey is a reprieve from the winter, something to do with my partner as a date night, or a way to waste time. I do hope to spend less time watching hockey and more time engaged in other things.

3) Interested.

4) Nothing. If it’s not Calgary, I’ll root for whichever team has a lineup I support or whomever my friends root for, but there would be allegiance to a non-Calgary team.

5) B, bordering C. End of the day, it’s extremely well paid athletes, with cost-prohibitive live events and mass marketing. The level of TV timeouts, including the obligatory #s that interfere with the flow of the game (particularly in the final minutes of a period) make a game a serious time commitment. I disagree with a lot of the culture; clean hits can be called predatory, but ‘answering the bell’ is promoted? F off. Drop a few hundred dollars and an evening out with the girl to see an uninspiring performance of millionaires going through the motions? Nah, I’m good.

Overall, the game is a massive marketing ploy, young players expect multimillion dollar contracts before achieving anything, and the game is less accessible to community members than ever. There are very few franchise players, and it all kind of feels like a good way to waste precious time and money. I wouldn’t be upset if I found myself always too engaged in something more productive than to follow the league.
Old 08-23-2020, 02:12 AM   #66
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1) Are you going to continue to watch the playoffs or are you going to pack in in and wait for the start of the offseason activities?

NBA playoffs.

2) How likely are you next year to dedicate a lot of time to watching Flames hockey?

Depends on the direction of the team, and success. If the same core is back, very little

3) Would you consider yourself a die hard flames fan, a interested flames fan, a casual flames fan?

In between tier 2 and 3

Considering watching more Rangers games next season. Feeling absolutely apathetic towards this team as it is.

5) Do you think that the on ice product that is provided by the NHL a) Its great hockey don't change a thing b) Its not a great product, I watch it because there's not a lot out there or I feel obligated c) I'm thinking of being done with the NHL.

C. Getting much more into futbol as of this year, always followed it casually and played fifa but i've taken a real deep obsession to it since around lockdown so i'm very excited for the upcoming season. NFL is a growing interest for me and I love NBA. The NHL product and brand as a whole is miles behind the other leagues and being a 'fan' of one of the most bland teams in the league doesn't help.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:37 AM   #67
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Pack it in. Maybe watch a couple games of the finals

Not much time. A bit jaded with the NHL in general and there are better things to spend my time on than watching a bunch of millionaire man-children play a sport

Former season ticket holder, owner of multiple jerseys, and there's a 2000 team poster hanging on my wall... take a guess where I fall on the spectrum

Already a Ducks fan and general fan of hockey

Not a great product and I'm losing interest with time. The current decreasing skill gap between best and worst players, neutering of creativity/individual skill in favor of systems, and increasing tendency towards defensive play is sucking the life-blood out of the sport. The 80s were exciting albeit too sloppy, the 00s have been too structured and unexciting, and the dead puck era between them was the worst parts of both. If they can get a blend of today's talent and systems with a ounce of flair and offense from the 80s, that would be great.

Last edited by boogerz; 08-23-2020 at 02:44 AM.
boogerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:54 AM   #68
Gallick
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

1) I'll watch a few games in the next two rounds. I usually watch most or all of the finals.

2) Virtually guaranteed to tune in for almost every game next year.

3) Die hard.

4) I will be a Flames fan forever. There is almost nothing that would make me switch.

5) I think the sport is in a great place, COVID-19 not withstanding. I am not a strict traditionalist and I think there are ways to improve the game, but I don't think there are any major outstanding issues. I do think we are approaching a point where we need to have a serious discussion about violence, its place in the game, and the long term health of players. I'm not sure exactly where I come down on it but I could would not be surprised to see fighting and head contact punished more severely in the future.
Gallick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:56 AM   #69
thefoss1957
#1 Goaltender

Location: Chicago Native relocated to the stinking desert of Utah
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm curious because of how I feel about hockey right now. So I wanted to ask some quick questions

thanks guys.
1. I'll watch, casually, but, as I work nights, it isn't that easy. I won't be recording games to watch

2. I'll definitely watch Flames/'Hawks, and catch just Flames' games if they don't overlap 'Blackhawk games on my days off.

3. I do not hide it, I am a native of Chicago, and a Blackhawk fan. I do enjoy discussing NHL here with CP members, and was invited by Nickerjones, back when the Flames/'Hawks had a playoff series in 2010. Any affection I have for the Flames comes in sympathy of the friends I've made here.

4. An Apocalypse.

5. It is an interesting and highly skilled exhibition , but, not perfect, so I fall in between a. and b. The major improvements I would see, are pipe dreams, consistent officiating, instead of "Game Management", meaning a rules violation in the 1st period of the 1st game of the season, is still a rules violation in the 3rd OT of the SCF. Also, I would see that the ridiculous pad size of goaltenders are returned to the size of pads of the 1st goaltenders I witnessed, at the Chicago Stadium, Glenn "Mr. Goalie" Hall and Johnny "The China Wall" Bower, but, I am ok with having masks or helmets, which were NOT used that Boxing Day in 1965.
Old 08-23-2020, 08:21 AM   #70
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Done for the year. Don't really care about any of the teams left. Wake me up when the Flames do something of note. Treliving talking about "the process" ain't that.

Would love to say not likely, but team sports is like a bad drug addiction. Unless something changed access I will be back to mainlining my favorite team in my favorite sport. I will also add that my favorite sport is becoming less compelling, less addictive, and less important as the days go by.

Die hard.

In the past, an act of god. With yet another humiliating failure by the hockey team, and the schism in the fan base, it's becoming a possibility. If a team presented itself adopting a different more open style of play, I might be able to get behind that. If a team played like the Flames from the first 60 games of the 2018-19 season, I would consider it. Because of the corner Treliving painted himself into, there isn't much future in being a Flames fan.

None of the above. The closest is B. The on-ice product is crap. It is way over coached and way too structured. The best thing the NHL could do is eliminate all assistant coaches behind the bench. Let them work in practices, but no more than one coach behind the bench. Chaos is part of the beauty of hockey, and that chaos has been choked out by the structured defensive systems and the boring dump and chase hockey. I year for the days of seeing open ice, and players understanding how to use that open ice to generate offense. Watching a team fire the puck around the boards to pump up their possession time is unbearable to watch. I really enjoyed the 3-on-3 OT when it was first introduced because it was chaotic and wide open. Then the coaches figured out a way to #### that up and institute systems in that as well. Now 3-on-3 is just as boring and predictable as the rest of the game. There is no joy in Mudville.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #71
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm going to continue to watch the rest of the playoffs

Quote:
Won't dedicate any time, but will watch games as schedule allows depending on entertainment factor like how I treat other teams around the league already.

Quote:
Was a die-hard, now I don't care.

Quote:
30 years of being terrible, the Flames not paying their arena staff out for the remainder of their season and a new team in the pacific northwest has me switching.

If Murray Edwards didn't own the team anymore I might switch back if the product was compelling.

Quote:
The NHL product is a ####load better outside of Alberta/Canada than in it. Lots of room for improvement on the product but high production values on other broadcasts mixed with highly skilled fast paced hockey still provides loads of entertainment.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #72
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

1. I'll keep watching, I like being able to see what contending teams look like. Helps gauge where our team is at(We aren't even close yet IMO but I will say that the play-in round and the beginning of the first round we looked CLOSE)

2. Very likely but I would like to see a proven coach hired and some core pieces moved.

3. Diehard.

4. Death.

5. I personally think it's great. I do wish there was a little more personality to the game and more behind the scene's footage/coverage. There's something fascinating about seeing the personalities and struggles/triumphs of the best players/athletes in their respective sports. I'd love to see more documentary type shows for various NHL teams if it was ever possible. The best would be having a season long documentary where the NHL allows a documentary crew to film and follow various teams on a rotation throughout the season and then air it in the off-season or even do an episode every week throughout the season. They would be required to film and cover every team so that even the small markets are included. Would bring a really cool element to hockey and bring viewership up IMO
Old 08-26-2020, 07:39 PM   #73
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Add in Tone Deaf hockey league does not stop playing games in lock step with other leagues to my growing disinterest in hockey. Becoming more and more apparent they're happy being totally whitewashed and to pay as little lip service as possible to current social issues.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:07 PM   #74
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sporadically, if basketball is not on. Never thought I would say that 10 years ago but unless the Flames are playing I find it much more entertaining. It is also marketed in a fashion that is far superior. I can appreciate the game of hockey, I grew up playing it and understand the nuances but way to much dump it in the corners and grind it out for my liking now, although I can see why people like that aspect. Nothing beats NHL overtime though.

Living in Toronto, I will watch if i'm home but the days of planning my evening around watching mediocrity are long gone. It used to be get everything done in time for the game (work, gym, etc.), now its more like i'll tune in when i'm free.

Die hard, although the above answer may not reflect that. I base this answer on my frustration when they lose important games, playoffs, trade/signing transactions that I don't agree with. I also base this on the fact I want to see no rival teams succeed in anything (Oilers, Canucks, Ducks, etc.).

Nothing, I will never support another hockey team, no matter how bad or frustrating the Flames are.

5) Do you think that the on ice product that is provided by the NHL

a) Its great hockey don't change a thing
b) Its not a great product, I watch it because its something thats just been engrained into me as a kid and that I'm used too
c) I'm thinking of being done with the NHL.
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:11 PM   #75
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

1) Are you going to continue to watch the playoffs - a little bit. Follow it anyway

Assuming it is played, I will watch.

3) Would you consider yourself a die hard flames fan, a interested flames fan, a casual flames fan? Interested I suppose. Some think I am a die hard, but have not met some of you.

4) What would it take for you to switch team allegiances? A lot. Maybe a relocation.

5) Do you think that the on ice product that is provided by the NHL -- The game reffing needs work (even though seemed not too bad this year). I hate the concept of game management. I wish stats were kept on referees and made public. Who they most penalize, what infraction they most call. missed calls, blown calls ect.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 08:23 PM   #76
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I've followed every Flames season and have over 50,000 posts on CP. I used to have season tickets. I'm 53 and find I have less time and interest to devote to the exploits of 20 year old men. There are too many teams. I'm not interested in the business of hockey and contracts and salary caps. I believe in supporting the home team, and have some good memories of great games and players. I wonder how many thousands of hours I spent watching hockey and sports, and what I else I could have accomplished instead. I don't like the mental energy I waste hoping for the failure of the teams I hate. Sports can cause me anxiety. Other forms of entertainment do not.

I will watch Flames games (they don't have to be winning as long as they are playing hard and are entertaining). Not interested in games not involving the Flames.

I will watch if they are playing hard, win or lose.

I'm a fan of the home team - not necessarily the collection of players every year.

I would not - I would just stop watching hockey altogether.

Somewhere between b) and c).

Last edited by troutman; 08-27-2020 at 07:34 AM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote