Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2020, 10:34 PM   #1
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:
Default A Captaincrunch quick survey

I'm curious because of how I feel about hockey right now. So I wanted to ask some quick questions

1) Are you going to continue to watch the playoffs or are you going to pack in in and wait for the start of the offseason activities?

2) How likely are you next year to dedicate a lot of time to watching Flames hockey?

3) Would you consider yourself a die hard flames fan, a interested flames fan, a casual flames fan?

4) What would it take for you to switch team allegiances?

5) Do you think that the on ice product that is provided by the NHL a) Its great hockey don't change a thing b) Its not a great product, I watch it because there's not a lot out there or I feel obligated c) I'm thinking of being done with the NHL.

thanks guys.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:43 PM   #2
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Will watch playoffs

2) Depends on whether I like the offseason moves

3) Interested

4) Would not switch allegiances under any circumstances. For me it's Flames or no one.

5) Good hockey overall, but officiating is a significant problem right now and needs serious improvement
Old 08-21-2020, 10:44 PM   #3
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm curious because of how I feel about hockey right now. So I wanted to ask some quick questions

1) Are you going to continue to watch the playoffs or are you going to pack in in and wait for the start of the offseason activities?

2) How likely are you next year to dedicate a lot of time to watching Flames hockey?

3) Would you consider yourself a die hard flames fan, a interested flames fan, a casual flames fan?

5) Do you think that the on ice product that is provided by the NHL a) Its great hockey don't change a thing b) Its not a great product, I watch it because there's not a lot out there or I feel obligated c) I'm thinking of being done with the NHL.

thanks guys.
I'll keep up who is winning but doubt I'll watch many games.

Being a dad and with work I keep up with the scores but don't watch all the games winning or losing.

I'm an interested fan, I care about the team but I don't lose sleep if they lose.

I live in BC so keeping my childhood team as mine, I can say I'm a Flames fan till I die.

NHL is what it is the game always changes, players always get better. I'm just happy the Flames are staying in Calgary. Hockey is hockey I plan to still watch the game, but mostly just the Flames games.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
calgaryred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:47 PM   #4
AT77
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

1) Nah. Didn’t even watch any of the Flames games because I already knew what the outcome would be.

2) Not likely. Different season, same outcome. Typical Flames, the usual.

3) Was diehard now dgaf

4)

Canucks > Flames
Jets > Flames
Leafs > Flames
Senators Future > Flames

God damn Flames suck. Debating on which of those bandwagon’s I should jump on cause we’re gonna suck forever y’all. I’ve admitted it and accepted it at this point, it’s time you all do too.

5) It’s great. Especially if your team is good and is somewhat consistently successful. Something we know nothing about.

Sooo about that bandwagon, any suggestions fam?
AT77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:47 PM   #5
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

1) Will certainly watch the playoffs.

2) I'll be watching every game that I can next year. I lived in Ottawa... I know that things can get a lot worse. This ain't even that bad.

3) I am a pretty dedicated fan but I like to think that I can turn that view off and become pretty objective as I see fit.

4) I have all sorts of minor allegiances. I follow the Sens, Coyotes, and Flyers pretty closely. I also cheer for certain players — Thomas Vanek was a recent one. But I wouldn't ditch the Flames.

5) it's a pretty great product with some obvious warts but nothing too bad. Very entertaining stuff.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:49 PM   #6
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) I will watch a game every few days.

2) I will probably watch or listen to 80% of the game. Late starts are tough for me since I'm on the eastern timezone.

3) A pessimistic die hard fan of the Flames.

4) I wish I could switch allegiances, but I can't. It's a blood thing. I will also eternally hate the Oilers, Leafs, Canucks, and Canadiens.

5) The hockey itself is good. The athletes don't have enough personality. The NHL lags far behind the other sports in this regard. Good for them - they rarely get caught up in scandals. But the lack of interesting interactions gets old.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:50 PM   #7
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

1)When asked this in the past, my answer has been "During the main season and until my team is knocked out, I watch my team. When my team is knocked out, I watch the sport." Further info in #2

2)I don't dedicate much time to actually 'watching' the Flames. But I find that hockey makes great background noise, so if hockey's in-season, I often have it on. I do usually go to/try to go to 3 actual games per season (it's a father/son thing).

3)Kinda 50/50 between interested and casual.

4)Due to the nature of the way I watch hockey, I'd need to move. Unless it was to Edmonton. I can't ever see myself cheering for them. But if I moved to a city that had a team, I'd probably pull for them.

5)The on-ice product is generally interesting enough to keep my attention as background noise. When I go to see a game, I usually have a pretty good time. But...there are some things that really irritate me, and officiating is a big one.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:51 PM   #8
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Yeah, I'll catch up on some games, but not watching as religiously as I was. My team is out. I'll just pay more attention to the Blue Jays now.

2) Even though the Flames can disappoint me in a lot of ways, I always come back for more. So, I think my level of hockey watching activity when the new season starts will be the same.

3) Die hard. My family thinks I am nuts with not only Flames info, but hockey knowledge of every team.

4) Um, assuming the Flames stay in Calgary for a long time, I wouldn't switch my allegiance for anyone else. But, if they were to relocate it would depend on where they were relocated. I am never cheering for the Edmonton coilers.

5) This is a hard one. It's between a and b. I didn't grow up in the 80's/90's where I feel like hockey was at its best. Hockey is still great to watch, but I think the hockey that happened from the older videos that I've seen looked like there was more passion in the game. Heck, even the 2006-2010 team that we saw constantly get kicked out of the first round looked like they tried a tad harder than the squad we just saw. I watch hockey because hockey is the best sport in the world, but I also think that it can improve, especially with the officiating.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:53 PM   #9
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

1) I will probably check in periodically on the playoffs.

2) I will spend the same amount of time watching Flames hockey as I always do—which is as much as I can.

3) Die hard Flames fan, here.

4) Maybe if the team relocated? I left Calgary for good 20 years ago; I can't see anything changing for me under any circumstances. My personal investment in the team is nothing but my own time and my cable bill. Since I continue to be entertained year after year, I consider the return on this investment to be pretty good.

5) These are loaded options; I expected better from you. I think the entertainment value of NHL hockey is high, but not perfect. There are certainly some things I would like to see changed, but overall I am very happy with the product.

This season was a bummer. But I am looking forward to seeing what transpires over the offseason and at the Draft. As always, I will be eager to cheer on the Flames in 2021.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:54 PM   #10
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

1. I'll watch the odd game here and there for good hockey and I'll be keeping an eye on the scores but there's no team left that I'm heavily invested in.

2. Extremely likely, essentially guaranteed. I'll be watching as soon as they are back.

3. I'm a die hard Flames fan. Have been since I was a child and I don't even know why I picked them. I've never lived in Calgary.

4. Wouldn't happen. If I ever got so tired of the Flames that I had to pack it in, I would just pack it in with the NHL altogether. I can't even fathom cheering for another team at this point.

5. I think overall it's a pretty great product and I mostly enjoy. The officiating could use a little help but rather than replays, second-guessing, etc. I would like to see officials more accountable for terrible work.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:57 PM   #11
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

1. Will watch but not a full game
2. I watch every Flames game that I can in the regular season. As flame fans it’s all we’ve got.
3. Die hard since the first year in the corral. Dad shared season tickets and I was 10.
4. Never happen. Flames for life.
5. The on ice product is okay. I miss the bruising 80s Tim Hunter/ Nicky Fotiu days. Risebrough shredding Messier’s jersey with his skates etc. More intensity than anything today.

Last edited by Azhouse; 08-21-2020 at 11:06 PM. Reason: Forgot 5
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:02 PM   #12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

1) Nope. Packing it in

2) PVR the games, skip through all the crap, watch the whole game in an hour

3) Diehard

4) Never going to happen

4) It’s ok. I don’t like how they call a totally different game during the playoffs. One way or the other IDGAF, just be consistent.

Last edited by #22; 08-21-2020 at 11:04 PM.
#22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:06 PM   #13
AustinL_NHL
First Line Centre

Exp:

1) Absolutely. Every year I watch the large majority of Playoff games. Same will go for this year. Plus being in lots of pools with friends adds to the excitement.

2) 110%. I have yet to ever miss a Flames game. I've missed a couple of them live because of school, travel, etc.. but I always watch them in their entirety, whether I've recorded them or through my NHL Live account. On top of that, I'm always glued to Twitter, The Athletic, FlamesNation, etc.. for any news, reports, rumors, etc..

3) Die-hard. It's honestly a pretty unhealthy obsession, especially knowing there are more important things in life. Going on 15+ jerseys, have a man-cave for a room and partial season ticket holder. However, I'm careful to not let it completely take my time away from my work, hanging with friends and family, etc.. I simply just use my free time to catch up and schedule certain things around Flames games, the trade deadline, draft, and free agency. On that note, I am still relatively young at 22 so as the years pass, maybe that changes (hope not).

4) Nothing. Could never envision myself cheering for another team even just a tiiiiny bit.

5) A, although I'd definitely change a couple rules to make the game more exciting. Just a couple examples: I find the fact that teams on the PK can ice the puck. Why should they get that benefit after committing a penalty? I am also not against the idea of a full-length PP no matter if the PP team scores. Also, the NHL is absolutely dreadful at promoting their stars compared to the other major sports.

Last edited by AustinL_NHL; 08-21-2020 at 11:09 PM.
AustinL_NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:12 PM   #14
wileecoyote
Farm Team Player

Exp:

1 Will check the scores maybe have the TV on in the background.
2 See #1
3 Casual fan of Flames and NHL in general
4 Flames (and Stampeders) no other team.
5 It's not a great product and I'm almost done. Chances of the Flames or any other Canadian team winning Stanley's Cup is so remote it's why bother. Any further expansion after Seattle will probably end it for me.
wileecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:14 PM   #15
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

1. Will watch bits and pieces, probably mostly Vancouver because I don't GAF about anyone else (and for that matter, it pretty much includes Vancouver, except that they're Canadian and any Canadian team winning is better than the alternative).

2. Um. Well, probably about as much as now, which is a fair bit, but only "when it's convenient". Will I care? Not much unless there's dramatic changes.

3. Oh, long time...since I moved to Calgary which was before they got there. (I live in a time paradox.)

4. Nope. The only other team I could even vaguely legit "cheer" for would be Montreal. And that would be anemic at best.

5. The product CAN be great. Sometimes. Too seldom. Far too many games are ruined by crappy reffing or the general lack of interest/intensity of the teams playing each other. (West vs East eg). I'll watch the Oilers to see how badly they play, because as we all know E=NG and it's kinda fun to watch the crash and burn. It's not as much fun when it's the Flames.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:22 PM   #16
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

1. Yes, but only entertaining match-ups, series deciding games, and/or the finals

2. Very, but moreso if they make some impressive changes in the offseason.

3. Interested. It's hard to maintain the naive passion of hardcore fandom as you get older and have more important priorities.

4. I think I'd pretty much have to know a player on the team on a personal basis, or have a really large amount of money bet on them.

5. It's good, but also getting a bit stale. I actually like this play-in format and wouldn't mind seeing it continued in some fashion. And I'd still like the rink widened a foot in every direction. And fix the point format so there are no more 3 point games.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:25 PM   #17
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

thanks guys.
1. Done watching playoffs. Will still check highlights and may watch a bit of the final depending who is playing, but won't follow closely.

2. I always say I'm not going to devote as much time to watching the Flames every time the team disappoints me, then I end up watching every game. I'm sure next season will be the same.

3. Pretty die-hard. Honestly I think anyone who is still invested in this team at this point must be a sucker for punishment, but I've been cheering for them win or lose since 1980 and I'm not about to stop now.

4. Not happening ever. I might cheer for one team over another in certain situations for whatever reason, but the Flames are my team.

5. I think the NHL is the best hockey product in the world, but it's definitely not perfect. The wildly inconsistent officiating bothers me much more than it ever used to, but I'm not sure if it's getting worse or I'm just getting grumpier as I get older. My wife is convinced the league is rigged, and there are times it's tough to argue with her.

Hang in there Captain. We're all pissed off and emotional right now but that's just sports. Just think....we could be oiler fans.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:30 PM   #18
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Nope, I'll just hope Vancouver and Philly (I know a really arrogant fan that makes it easy) lose.

2) Probably the same as I do now.

3) Die Hard, I know I take it more seriously than I should.

4) Nothing will ever make me switch teams. No matter how bad things are.

5) The hockey it self is fine but the officiating makes me consider not wanting to watch anymore alot.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:35 PM   #19
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

1) Will watch the playoffs on and off, but other sports now have my attention as teams I follow are still alive.
2) It’s been going down a little but I will still watch plenty of Flames hockey next year
3) Diehard Flames fan. Don’t live in Calgary but still try and see a handful home and away games in person
4) Would never switch allegiances unless the Flames moved. If they did, well that would end it.
5) No real complaints about the NHL product. The job they did with the bubble was fantastic. I do hate the shootout and how points are awarded. I have a hard time watching non Flame games and couldn’t imagine following the Oilers the way many seem to.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:38 PM   #20
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

- Definitely going to watch, I find not having any horse in the race is even more enjoyable, you get to actually just appreciate the sport without any baggage.

- Same as usual

- None/all, I’m just a fan, no different types to me

- Moving

- haha this is a pretty loaded question to the negative, so I would say “A.5 - Great product but can always be better.” Definitely a unique situation currently, but overall there are some changes I think are worthwhile, but if you appreciate hockey there’s nothing that compares (outside of international tournaments)
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote