Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-21-2020, 02:47 PM   #41
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
People talk like Monahan only ever had bad playoffs. I recall he was the only one that showed up against Anaheim 3 years ago.

And I don't get how people rag on Monahan, but give Backlund a free pass. Backlund wasn't good in these playoffs either. Why aren't we clamouring to trade him?
I thought Backlund was among the better forwards these playoffs.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 02:49 PM   #42
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Really? I thought he was mediocre at best.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:51 PM   #43
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Really? I thought he was mediocre at best.
I agree. On a team that struggled to get their equipment on, Backlund showing up on the ice in full uniform means he was one of the better players.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #44
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched34 View Post
I think the easiest way to understand it, is that Monahan's role is to get to the slot, and let Gaudreau set up the play, thus Gaudreau carries the puck, or Monahan dumps it into Gaudreaus corner so Gaudreau can retrieve it and set the play.

This thinking of Monahan not being able to carry the puck, or set up plays is definitely blown out of proportion. in 2018/19, when Lindholm was first added to the top line, the dynamic changed to a full on attack line, with all 3 forwards carrying the puck and setting up plays.
With that, Johnny put up a career high in goals (36), Lindholm set a career high in goals (27), and Monahan set a career high in assists (48). This year for whatever reason they play very much reverted back to Johnny carrying the puck, and running the offense off the half boards, and all 3 forwards took a drastic hit in production.

I get what you’re trying to get at, but I don’t agree with it. The top line in 18-19 scored the majority of their points on the forecheck. They turned pucks over on a regular basis and created the majority of their scoring chances this way.

If anybody wants proof, check AC’s highlights of just Johnny Gaudreau and count how many goals or scoring chances were created by their forecheck. It’s certainly in line with Ward’s tagline of “check for your chances.”

Honestly, I’ve never seen Monahan drive this line. He’s always been the guy who waits for Gaudreau to draw defenders, while he stalks in the weeds or in front of the net. Without a guy who can do that for him, he’s basically incapable of doing it himself. I don’t know how many actual dangerous scoring chances Monahan had in 10 games this playoffs, but I could probably count on 1 hand how many. The same pretty much goes for Lindholm and Gaudreau as well to a lesser extent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #45
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny has become such a crutch for that line, and the first PP, that it's almost become comical. Monahan and Lindholm were wasted on that line, they essentially played as foils to Gaudreu the entire time. They just waited for the pass.

Johnny lining up for a zone entry must have become the easiest thing for the opposing coach to plan against. Let Johnny in, cover the other two forwards and one high to protect against the one-timer. Then just rub him out and take the puck.

I have no idea what Monahan or Lindholm looks like as players when they are allowed to play to their ability.
Old 08-21-2020, 02:58 PM   #46
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post

Agreed. Backlund was probably the most consistent and reliable player all playoffs long. Their line contributed greatly to the win vs the Jets. He plays in all situations and was very noticeable most games.

Obviously the Lucic-Bennett-Dube line was easily the most impactful line through 10 games, but Backlund more than held his own in a very tough shutdown role.

Old 08-21-2020, 03:00 PM   #47
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I want to keep Monahan. I think the playoff whiffs are fair to criticize but his impact overall on this franchise far exceeds that of a handful of playoff games.

You just simply do not trade your best center
when the entire franchise has been without one for decades prior. Of all the players who deserve extra lives he is the 1st.
We're not trading Backlund.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 03:01 PM   #48
wretched34
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I get what you’re trying to get at, but I don’t agree with it. The top line in 18-19 scored the majority of their points on the forecheck. They turned pucks over on a regular basis and created the majority of their scoring chances this way.

If anybody wants proof, check AC’s highlights of just Johnny Gaudreau and count how many goals or scoring chances were created by their forecheck. It’s certainly in line with Ward’s tagline of “check for your chances.”

Honestly, I’ve never seen Monahan drive this line. He’s always been the guy who waits for Gaudreau to draw defenders, while he stalks in the weeds or in front of the net. Without a guy who can do that for him, he’s basically incapable of doing it himself. I don’t know how many actual dangerous scoring chances Monahan had in 10 games this playoffs, but I could probably count on 1 hand how many. The same pretty much goes for Lindholm and Gaudreau as well to a lesser extent.

As you just pointed out, in 2018-2019, when all 3 forwards forechecked, and played the puck, they all saw a huge increase in production.
Does that not essentially drive home the point, that when Monahan makes plays, the entire line reaps the rewards, where as when he is stuck waiting on Johnny to make something happen, less and less actually happens.

This is why a Line of Hall-Monahan-Tkachuk could be incredible.
All 3 have size, some snarl, and a tonne of skill.
Any one of those 3, at any given time could win a battle below the goal line, and know full well, that if they threw the puck to the slot, someone will be there. As it stands now, Lindholm is the only one on the top line that can battle below the line, because if Monahan does, there is no one in the slot.
Having Johnny float along the boards creates a huge disadvantage for the line because it means his teammates are limited to what they can do. This is why Monahan plants himself in the slot, and nothing else.
wretched34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:06 PM   #49
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm all for Monahan being moved, but there needs to be a true 1C coming in. It could also make sense if they decide to blow it all up and rebuild, but otherwise without a 1C coming in the team just gets worse.

I guess a good 2C who shows up in the playoffs would also be an improvement, but not enough of what the team needs.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:11 PM   #50
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like Backlund but it is damn foolish to claim he's better than Monahan. There are no metrics that agree with this.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 03:13 PM   #51
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
We're not trading Backlund.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 03:14 PM   #52
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I want to keep Monahan. I think the playoff whiffs are fair to criticize but his impact overall on this franchise far exceeds that of a handful of playoff games.

You just simply do not trade your best center when the entire franchise has been without one for decades prior. Of all the players who deserve extra lives he is the 1st.

He’s far from being the best option of a good center. He would be a second, maybe even third line center, for another team. At this point anyway.

Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #53
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post
He’s far from being the best option of a good center. He would be a second, maybe even third line center, for another team. At this point anyway.

Lets get real here. Third line centre? I get people are emotional, but come on. I guess Johnny's nothing by an AHL tweener now too huh?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to The Yen Man For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I’ll never understand this line of thinking that Gaudreau somehow holds Monahan back from carrying the puck up the ice. Don’t you think that if Monahan could do it, he would’ve shown in 500+ games?...
The thing is, Monahan used to do it. That first season that he and Gaudreau played together he carried the puck into the offensive zone a lot, and it was a big part of what made that duo so dangerous, and which got many of us so excited.

I maintain that the two of them became just so comfortable with one another that for Monahan it was increasingly more natural to defer to Gaudreau, who emerged as the one who chose to carry the puck all the time to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #55
Jore
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
I like Backlund but it is damn foolish to claim he's better than Monahan. There are no metrics that agree with this.
Last year and this year in the playoffs 5 on 5:

Backlund (against MacKinnon, Seguin, starting more in the defensive zone): 48.08% corsi for, 46.98% expected goals for, 48.32% high danger corsi for

Monahan (against Compher, Dickinson, starting more in the offensive zone):
45.97% corsi for, 44.96% expected goals for, 40.99% high danger corsi for

How do people see one centre possessing the puck, driving the middle of the ice and transitioning and one who's either chasing around in his own zone or dumping the puck and think the second is better than the first?
Jore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jore For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 03:24 PM   #56
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhitbox View Post

Yeah, this is nuts. I can certainly concede that Monahan is not a prototypical top-line NHL centre, and he quite possibly never will be. But this idea that he is somehow merely an average or worse second line pivot is completely ridiculous. Since he entered the League Monahan is the #16 scoring centre in the entire NHL, and ahead of such stalwarts as O'Reilly, Johansson, Schenn, Duchene, Couturier and Krejci. Players of that calibre who are 25-years old are not playing on anyone's third line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 08-21-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-21-2020, 03:30 PM   #57
Johnhitbox
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

He’s had multiple surgery’s on his wrists and hands. Maybe he’s lost his touch.

Johnhitbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:31 PM   #58
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Johnny has become such a crutch for that line, and the first PP, that it's almost become comical. Monahan and Lindholm were wasted on that line, they essentially played as foils to Gaudreu the entire time. They just waited for the pass.

Johnny lining up for a zone entry must have become the easiest thing for the opposing coach to plan against. Let Johnny in, cover the other two forwards and one high to protect against the one-timer. Then just rub him out and take the puck.

I have no idea what Monahan or Lindholm looks like as players when they are allowed to play to their ability.
I'm curious as to why you're ragging on the powerplay? It was a top 3 powerplay and was the only reason the top line had any success this playoffs. It was also very good in the regular season and has generally been very good over the last few years.

There's also about 5 seasons of Lindholm in Carolina that you can look at to see what Lindholm is. Personally, I don't want to know what Monahan is with out Gaudreau. I've seen them apart and I've never been too impressed. There was that month when Gaudreau was out with a broken finger, where Monahan was asked to drive his own line. If I'm not mistaken, he was almost scratched against the Islanders for his performance. I wouldn't want to see that again, trade Monahan or both of them IMO.
Old 08-21-2020, 03:35 PM   #59
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Yeah, this is nuts. I can certainly concede that Monahan is not a prototypical top-line NHL centre, and he quite possibly never will be. But this idea that he is somehow merely an average or worse second line pivot is completely ridiculous. Since he entered the League Monahan is the #16 scoring centre in the entire NHL, and ahead of such stalwarts as O'Reilly, Johansson, Schenn, Duchene, Couturier and Krejci. Players of that calibre who are 25-years old are not playing on anyone's third line.

And one of the biggest defensive liabilities on the team.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 03:36 PM   #60
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

This argument has become too easy to boil down as Monahan supporters listing scoring stats, and Monahan detractors listing possession stats. I guess it’s a matter of how much you favor process vs result.

I’m still a big Johnny fan and my personal preference is for him to stay, but I have a morbid curiosity about how the Siamese twins will do once permanently sawed apart.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote