Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2020, 12:40 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
How about Stampeders seasons tickets? You won't see Tom Brady but every 2-3 years you do get to watch a former NFL star that either flamed out or is too old to play in the NFL (Ricky Williams, Chad Johnson, Johnny Manziel ).

Just ignore the fact that the stadium is more than 50 years old and you have to pee in a portapotty
TBF, also guys that aren’t going to go and play in the NFL (Flutie, Moon, a few others).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:46 PM   #42
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
There is inflation in every product, be glad you not only have a team in your city but are in a position in life to afford season tickets.
It is possible to both be glad that you are in a position to be able to afford seasons tickets, and at the same time, frustrated in annual price increases that far outpace inflation in a tough economy
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #43
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
It's still organized running though right?

modified your post
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 12:50 PM   #44
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I already find Flames tickets to be of relatively poor value, and have found my need to go to games diminishing by the year (I was sharing seasons 4-5 years ago, and this year I haven't attended even one game). Best league in the world or not, there comes a point where it's just not worth it...especially with the questionable product on the ice this year at home.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 12:57 PM   #45
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I don't want to go on a long winded rant here so I'll keep it short: The absolute figurative rape of Canadian markets by Canadian ownership is disgusting. Canadian cities have some of the highest ticket prices and worst in game experience and rewards for season ticket holders. Winnipeg's prices are insane (of course due to the small arena but still) and the season ticket holders are treated like crap by ownership. Same in Calgary.

It's so short sighted and greedy. Canadian owners seem to think that the bad old days of the late 80's and 90's will never come back, low attendance and fan apathy. Well guess what? Keep jacking up the prices to insane levels and we'll see how attendance does in 10 years.
Canadian teams have to charge more due to the CDN/USD exchange rate.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:10 PM   #46
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Who actually goes to sports games 41+ times a year in 2020??

HD broadcasts are just too good these days.. but then again it's like 100 miles for me to go to a Coyotes game from Gilbert/East Valley
Jordan! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #47
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Personally, I already find Flames tickets to be of relatively poor value, and have found my need to go to games diminishing by the year (I was sharing seasons 4-5 years ago, and this year I haven't attended even one game). Best league in the world or not, there comes a point where it's just not worth it...especially with the questionable product on the ice this year at home.
Agreed. This is the first year in several years that I haven't gone to even one game. And honestly, I don't even care. It's tough to find people who want to go as well. I love the Flames, but the product is average and you can watch at home if you want for way cheaper.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #48
motorcrosser
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wonder if that lady behind the bench is going to renew.
motorcrosser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to motorcrosser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 01:31 PM   #49
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
This. The value vs money for NHL these days is brutal. I have a hard time taking free tickets these days even. If food and drink aren't being covered its still a few beers + maybe some food + transportation.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:03 PM   #50
Mayo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Agreed they are getting expensive but I love the atmosphere of live sports (even in the library..I mean Saddledome). My issue with FC and Stamps is they are playing in the warmer months when I have better things to do.

I have somewhat of a contrarian viewpoint to the ticket re-sale issues. I think there are a lot of STH in areas like Sec 226 whites that have probably just been profiting off their tickets for years. I'd like it if some of them were shook out due to poor re-sales and remaining ticket holders can upgrade their seats.
Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 02:04 PM   #51
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Who actually goes to sports games 41+ times a year in 2020??

HD broadcasts are just too good these days.. but then again it's like 100 miles for me to go to a Coyotes game from Gilbert/East Valley
Ha I wish Sportsnet had HD broadcast.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 02:52 PM   #52
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Agreed. This is the first year in several years that I haven't gone to even one game. And honestly, I don't even care. It's tough to find people who want to go as well. I love the Flames, but the product is average and you can watch at home if you want for way cheaper.
Had game packs from '01 to '14 I believe before we gave them up (I think I made it to two that year). Heading down to the Dome, even for 9 games, lost its luster. Still a huge fan, but the pros of staying home and watching outweighed the pros of experiencing the game live.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:34 PM   #53
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Ha I wish Sportsnet had HD broadcast.
Still??

Also nonstop Panago pizza and telus animal commercials?
Jordan! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:53 PM   #54
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The wife is starting to win the argument. A 7% increase might be the end for me and the Flames.
Southside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #55
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I haven't been to a local hockey game here in Toronto where a standing seat (highest row in the arena starts at about $100 bucks average. But it's a 4M person market, supply and demand justify the cost here.

Calgary in a crap economic situation, mediocre product... Flames ownership seem like a relatively unlikeable group.

They had better pony up some cash for an actual nhl calibre coach, there's some amazing (expensive) talent available this offseason.

There's no doubt that they will need to raise prices when the new building is there, they had better time their team management so that there's a competitive team in place.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:11 PM   #56
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
I don't want to go on a long winded rant here so I'll keep it short: The absolute figurative rape of Canadian markets by Canadian ownership is disgusting. Canadian cities have some of the highest ticket prices and worst in game experience and rewards for season ticket holders. Winnipeg's prices are insane (of course due to the small arena but still) and the season ticket holders are treated like crap by ownership. Same in Calgary.

It's so short sighted and greedy. Canadian owners seem to think that the bad old days of the late 80's and 90's will never come back, low attendance and fan apathy. Well guess what? Keep jacking up the prices to insane levels and we'll see how attendance does in 10 years.
Sports are a business. They will continue to raise prices until they see renewals dwindle and attendance wane. Until that time, it makes tons of business sense to raise prices until you find the ceiling.

The last bastion of actual sports clubs with fan involvement is the German Bundesliga. Every league outside of Germany is basically rich people tricking fans into a false sense of involvement in a team and maximizing profits. In Germany, the clubs are exactly that: clubs that you join and are a part of.

Flames don't care about their fans. They care about their fan's money.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:12 PM   #57
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
How about Stampeders seasons tickets? You won't see Tom Brady but every 2-3 years you do get to watch a former NFL star that either flamed out or is too old to play in the NFL (Ricky Williams, Chad Johnson, Johnny Manziel ).

Just ignore the fact that the stadium is more than 50 years old and you have to pee in a portapotty
Don't forget you also get to see NFL Pro-Bowl superstars like Warren Moon, Doug Flutie and Jeff Garcia (I'm sure there were more as well).
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2020, 04:28 PM   #58
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

After 14 or 15 seasons my friends and I who split seats have decided we aren't renewing. We all have families with infant children so between that and the poor value proposition we've had enough.

These last 2-3 years have been especially painful trying to sell in the resale market and I usually lose 30% on every game sold.

Flames are pushing it a bit here, the economy is still soft and getting worse. There might be a lot of people deciding to call it quits.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:51 PM   #59
Reggie28
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
Blues have a 6.04% increase. Not sure why others say it is 2%. Sec 225 blue is 6.04% anyways.
6.04% in Sec 211 blue as a well.
Reggie28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:55 PM   #60
Rulakir
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverGS View Post
Blues have a 6.04% increase. Not sure why others say it is 2%. Sec 225 blue is 6.04% anyways.
Section 212 blue -- confirming 6.04% as well.
Rulakir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rulakir For This Useful Post: