Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #201
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Is Derek Wills on crack?

He is predicting that Andy MacDonald will start as the #6 defenseman on opening night, and Oliver Kylington will be sent to Stockton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 09-23-2019 at 04:14 PM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #202
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Is Derek Wills on crack?

He is predicting that Andy MacDonald will supplant Oliver Kylington as the #6 defenseman on opening night.
To be fair, Steinberg and Pinder were on earlier saying they're not convinced management likes Kylington as much as they do themselves, or as much as the fanbase as a whole seems to.

I think it'd be a mistake to not give Kylington the opportunity to develop at the NHL level because he's shown flashes of brilliance in an area modern NHL defenseman thrive in.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 04:49 PM   #203
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Klyington is the 6th Dmen you have to play. IMO the only reason I think MacDonald starts is because the Flames have something potentially in the hopper trade wise and being able to send Klyington down without waivers allows for roster flexibility. I think he has played well enough to make the team and having Stone as the 7th I think works. I think the issue is if 2 Dmen go down things will get interesting.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #204
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

From watching the game against the Jets last night (albeit pre-season and "lightly staffed"), it was like boys vs men. Not a good showing and the Flames that were out there got pushed around pretty easily. Poor scoring chances and not much of anything to get excited about.

So, beats me who they keep around. Someone to keep the boredom away? Not impressed with the team so far this year. Flames will make or break their season in the first 60 days.
taxbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:57 PM   #205
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have conflicted feelings on Andrew MacDonald.

One of the main reasons Calgary lost to Colorado was because of a lack of speed.
How does signing 33 year old Andrew MacDonald help with this? Isn't Kylington the best skater in the entire organization? Maybe he should develop in the NHL.

But on the other hand, I do feel like he has been the best PTO at camp. He's the only one that hasn't completely disappointed IMO.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #206
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
From watching the game against the Jets last night (albeit pre-season and "lightly staffed"), it was like boys vs men. Not a good showing and the Flames that were out there got pushed around pretty easily. Poor scoring chances and not much of anything to get excited about.

So, beats me who they keep around. Someone to keep the boredom away? Not impressed with the team so far this year. Flames will make or break their season in the first 60 days.

Really? I'd argue the Flames will "make or break their season" in the last 60 days of the season.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 05:12 PM   #207
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I don’t know who the Flames will be dressing but the Jets aren’t exactly icing their best.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1176261052021071872
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 05:15 PM   #208
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I have conflicted feelings on Andrew MacDonald.

One of the main reasons Calgary lost to Colorado was because of a lack of speed....
Right, but throughout the regular season the Flames were not by any measure a slow team. For various reasons in the first round they played "slow".

I like how Giordano described what happened in the playoffs: He said that the Flames were too hesitant, and in their own heads about making mistakes. He said they were "playing scared," and "playing not to lose," and got away from the fast, confident, tenacious forechecking that helped to make them so effective in the regular season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #209
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post

Flames will make or break their season in the first round of the playoffs.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2019, 05:38 PM   #210
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Right, but throughout the regular season the Flames were not by any measure a slow team. For various reasons in the first round they played "slow".

I like how Giordano described what happened in the playoffs: He said that the Flames were too hesitant, and in their own heads about making mistakes. He said they were "playing scared," and "playing not to lose," and got away from the fast, confident, tenacious forechecking that helped to make them so effective in the regular season.
Yup. There is being slow, and there is playing slow.

The Flames were not a slow team during the 82 game regular season. But they were in the playoffs. Did they forget to sharpen their skates? Or did they change their playing style?

The latter seems somewhat more likely.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #211
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Is Derek Wills on crack?

He is predicting that Andy MacDonald will start as the #6 defenseman on opening night, and Oliver Kylington will be sent to Stockton.
I think prior to the Valimaki injury the plan absolutely was for Kylington to start in the AHL. He was never going to be the #7

Not sure what the plan is now but MacDonald as the number six wouldn’t be very surprising.

I doubt they’ve even made the final decision but remember they sent Rasmus down last year and Jankowski the year prior when both were competing with veterans. They earned permanent spots later in the season
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 08:54 AM   #212
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

If Kylington is in the A, and MacDonald is the 7D would it would seem likely that Andersson plays up with Gio & Brodie plays down with Stone?

R/L combos right up Peters' alley.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:06 AM   #213
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Imagine this site if Kylington is sent down ... yikes.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:14 AM   #214
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Imagine this site if Kylington is sent down ... yikes.
Many on this site would prefer Brodie sent down
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:18 AM   #215
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can see these pairings for sure. Brodie and Stone were very good together down the stretch the year we traded for Stone

Gio Andersson
Hanifin Hamonic
Brodie Stone
Macdonald

Kylington get top mins in the AHL and be brought up later in the year as Andersson and Jankowski were
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #216
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

I'd rather see Kylington get sent down and be the #1 dman in Stockton, with duties against the other team's top lines. He's still pretty raw and prone to mistakes.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #217
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yup. There is being slow, and there is playing slow.

The Flames were not a slow team during the 82 game regular season. But they were in the playoffs. Did they forget to sharpen their skates? Or did they change their playing style?

The latter seems somewhat more likely.
Re: Bolded.

I disagree.

No, we weren't the slowest team in the league, but we were average at best. For a few reasons:

1) Mike Smith typically slowed down our breakouts with his overplaying of the puck. For every clean stretch pass he threw, there were passes to our D in prone and stationary positions, or giveaways to the other team.

2) We did not have any gamebreaking speed at forward. Even Gaudreau, Bennett and Backlund, our quickest regular forwards, do not possess the raw speed to create real separation from a focused defender. Our fastest forward was probably Austin Czarnik, who only got into about 50-ish games and pretty consistently in a limited role.

3) Every line besides the fourth had at least one player who would never be described as quick or fast in terms of footspeed. Monahan. Tkachuk. Jankowski. Neal. And even though his foot speed was probably there, Hathaway's execution was more on the slow side. Now in the regular season the intelligence and anticipation ability of guys like Monahan and Tkachuk allowed them to surprise opponents on the forecheck and close off breakout angles, but given a game to adjust to our forecheck, the Avs' were able to elude these players (and Neal/Janko) and make clean breakouts, rendering them at the mercy of their own footspeed.

4) On the backend, we were a mixed bag. Giordano and Brodie are fast by regular season standards, but they were matched up against Nathan MacKinnon, a player who made them relatively slow. This was compounded by the fact that few of our forwards were fast enough to win a foot race with, again, Nathan MacKinnon. Tkachuk suddenly became a defensive liability in this head to head matchup, and even Backlund's above average footspeed and IQ proved underwhelming because of how elite MacKinnon is.

Our second pair is another story. Hanifin skates fast, but doesn't appear to think the game as fast as even Kylington or Valimaki. Hamonic has stretches of the season where he plays a fast and aggressive style, and at other times he lacks the confidence to do so, which is probably because his feet aren't particularily fast. In the playoffs he was not playing fast because he didn't have the confidence to do so. Playing fast without the footspeed to back it up just results in getting burned, and the Avs' quick forwards clearly exploited this. On our third pair, Andersson thinks fast but is not actually fast in terms of foot speed, though he's clearly starting to show that he's better than either Hanifin or Hamonic in these areas. Valimaki both thinks fast and is fast, but only got into a game or two. Kylington, who is overwhelmingly fast and probably to a gamebreaking extent was a huge part of our team speed in the regular season last year... and he did not draw into a playoff game last year. And Fantenberg was just a whatever bottom pair vet, average in terms of overall execution... but even he would be an upgrade on Andrew MacDonald in all areas of "speed" from what I've seen in the preseason. And finally Stone is not fast, in either sense of the word.

In a conference with guys like Nathan MacKinnon and Connor McDavid, who can log 25 minute games effortlessly come playoff time, the Flames don't really have an answer. And I say that as a big Brodie, Giordano, Backlund fan. The vet trio is fast... but they're not truly elite (Brodie's a great skater, but even his excellent acceleration is a tier below). Kylington actually has elite speed. And the skill and vision to utilize it effectively. I think it's in the team's best interest to emphasize putting out the best roster, and Oliver Kylington would be part of that. Anything else would be a repeat of when Matt Bartkowski was handed a roster spot over the obviously superior Brett Kulak, or when Tanner Glass was handed a roster spot over Mark Jankowski... just more in a series of boneheaded early season blunders.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 09-24-2019 at 09:28 AM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2019, 09:43 AM   #218
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Funny cause that's exactly how I would (and did) classify their play while watching.

I said at the time they looked like the 2004 Stanley Cup Finals game 7 Flames..

World beaters up until that point but played to not lose instead of playing to win.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:31 PM   #219
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1176571117147807744

I think he's getting signed

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019, 01:33 PM   #220
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ Yup. Wills will be thrilled.

I will now coin "whilled" where a person gets unnecessarily excited over the addition of mundane items
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote