Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2019, 06:26 PM   #61
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Was at the game, beautiful day great atmosphere.

Saw everything I wanted to see from Bo. Good game management, lots of smart throws, the deep ball was accurate, had the one excellent throw across the body going the other way, and the touch throw to Begelton for the TD. I know Whiteout is going to come on here and troll, but it shows how little he understands about how the Stamps have dominated for the past 5 years.

That was a classic Bo/Stamps D win, with a strong contribution from the ground game. Loved it.
Slanter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #62
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Beating Edmonton never gets old. Great crowd today!
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 06:31 PM   #63
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
No feelings are hurt just calling a spade a spade. Pulling BLM in that situation would have been incredibly stupid.

So you were either trolling or incredibly....

Take your pick
I wasn't suggesting that he be pulled. I'm still unsure where you're getting that idea from. Perhaps you are purposely misunderstanding my comment the stamps would be better off with Arbuckle, which was clearly meant long term as I also discussed hoping the bombers could land him.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:54 PM   #64
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Every year I'm scared that Mitchell will get injured and we'll effectively be done for the year. Now we have a legit starting quarterback ready to go if Bo goes down close to or in playoffs.

What a great feeling. When you really examine the West today, I think the Stamps are actually the best team top to bottom as the season progresses here.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #65
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

But man, what a great crowd and atmosphere. It makes me sad that we can't come anywhere near that these years. Like not even close. I saw highlights in the Montreal game showing the last time the Als beat us at McMahon in 2009 and it looked like Narnia.

Regular season game against east opponent and maybe 2000 empty seats out of 36500, and everyone fully into the game, so intimidating and amazing to see, yet we took it for granted back then.

Now watching 23-26k just sucks the life out of watching a game in stadium or on TV. Wish we could get back to that somehow, but there's really no way, especially with the Flames owning the team. But really fun throwback experience today. So fun.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 07:18 PM   #66
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Salary cap, free agency and a slew of injuries keeping the Stamps from leading wire to wire for once. They will be a force if they get healthy and gel down the stretch.

Hufnagel and DD are an amazing duo IMO
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 08:42 PM   #67
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terry Jones was not impressed...

For the eighth straight Labour Day the Eskimos bused back to Edmonton Monday evening having lost the Classic to the Calgary Stampeders — this time to even the all-time series at 29-29-1.

But this wasn’t about Labour Day or about the rivalry.

Edmonton’s 25-9 loss in this one, combined with their 34-28 defeat at home to the first place Winnipeg Blue Bombers, should have all the alarms ringing in Commonwealth Stadium for Chris Presson’s first day on the job as the new CEO for the club Tuesday morning.

This one wasn’t just another kick-in-the-crotch Edmonton Labour Day loss in Calgary.

This one represented a U-Turn in what three weeks ago looked like the Eskimos might be tracking toward becoming a host-the-Western-Final team that could find their way back to Calgary for the Grey Cup game in November.

Watching this team lose these past two games, it doesn’t look like they could find their way back down there with a road map, a GPS, a compass and directional arrows painted on the southbound lanes of the QEII.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...box=1567475942
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 08:51 PM   #68
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

When was the last time the Labor Day record was even? It has to be decades?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #69
Bent Wookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
But man, what a great crowd and atmosphere. It makes me sad that we can't come anywhere near that these years. Like not even close. I saw highlights in the Montreal game showing the last time the Als beat us at McMahon in 2009 and it looked like Narnia.

Regular season game against east opponent and maybe 2000 empty seats out of 36500, and everyone fully into the game, so intimidating and amazing to see, yet we took it for granted back then.

Now watching 23-26k just sucks the life out of watching a game in stadium or on TV. Wish we could get back to that somehow, but there's really no way, especially with the Flames owning the team. But really fun throwback experience today. So fun.
I get that, but McMahon is such a dump.

The last time I went to a game was with my young son, it was so embarassing. What he saw and experienced is not something I care to repeat for him. I think the stadium attracts the lowest common denominator.

Build a new stadium and I bet people will come. I spend a fair amount of time in Winnipeg over the summer and I really enjoy going to bomber games simply because the stadium experience is something I enjoy.

Can't see it happening any time soon but sure would be nice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 09:18 PM   #70
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

The fact that the Stamps need to win games in the second half if they want to host the West Final will probably have them primed for the playoffs. It's been a lot of years since they had to actually win a lot in the back half to claim the Division.

I think they will run down the Bombers in the second half here. The Bo Levi Mitchell injury might just make the Stamps a more dangerous playoff team playing their best ball when they need to.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:19 PM   #71
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took my kids to their first ever football game today. They were pretty happy. The fighter jet fly by was just awesome. Especially on the 2nd pass when one of them looked like it was going to hit the speaker and then they went straight up right after the pass.

Haven't been to McMahon in about 10 years. It is a dump. Can't believe the scoreboard is so small. Isn't it super cheap to upgrade to a new one now? And the sound in there is absolute crap.
Old 09-02-2019, 09:20 PM   #72
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
The fact that the Stamps need to win games in the second half if they want to host the West Final will probably have them primed for the playoffs. It's been a lot of years since they had to actually win a lot in the back half to claim the Division.

I think they will run down the Bombers in the second half here. The Bo Levi Mitchell injury might just make the Stamps a more dangerous playoff team playing their best ball when they need to.
That is absolutely guaranteed! Those Denny servers better watch out of Whiteout403!!
Old 09-02-2019, 09:27 PM   #73
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It used to be, well for me, a bit of charm to a dumpy stadium. But at the end of the day, while we watch other cities get a new stadium, I've come to the belief that we won't see a new football stadium for generations, there's just not enough events to make it worth while.

To me, I've mainly stopped going to games in the fall. As I've gotten older, sitting in the cold with no place to warn up except the smelly washrooms is pretty painful.

I'm not asking for an indoor stadium, but a heated concourse or concourse areas is something that I would like to see.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 09:33 PM   #74
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
When was the last time the Labor Day record was even? It has to be decades?
The last time the series was tied was the second year it happened in 1950. The Stamps won the first one in 1949, then the Esks won the next 7 straight. The Stamps closed the gap by winning the next 5, but could never get it any closer until this current run.
Old 09-02-2019, 10:04 PM   #75
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Watching this team lose these past two games, it doesn’t look like they could find their way back down there with a road map, a GPS, a compass and directional arrows painted on the southbound lanes of the QEII.

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/footb...box=1567475942

Didn't know Terry Jones is this humerus.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #76
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Didn't know Terry Jones is this humerus.
He usually is much more sternum.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:23 PM   #77
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

McMahon has its issues but it’s far from being a dump. And there are some great things about it too. Like easy access to the parking lot at half time and surprisingly good vantage seats in the midfield upper deck. Its also nice to choose between sun and shade as preferable. Also think parking is a breeze and cheap at uofc.

As for the game. Agreed the fighter jet flyover is top notch. The second pass today was spectacular. What a neat moment. All facets of the stamps game were on today. The defence and OL in particular.

Statement game for sure.

Maver is instant field position. Might be the most underrated guy on the roster.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Corral For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 11:59 PM   #78
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

I don't think the Bombers are going to be the team they have to eventually chase down. The Bombers or Eskimos might be the West crossover team when all is said and done.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 10:36 AM   #79
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
McMahon has its issues but it’s far from being a dump. And there are some great things about it too. Like easy access to the parking lot at half time and surprisingly good vantage seats in the midfield upper deck. Its also nice to choose between sun and shade as preferable. Also think parking is a breeze and cheap at uofc.
I've continuously said that the fondation of McMahon, when it comes to access, and viewing vantage points, it pretty damn good. There isn't really a bad seat, aside from the quality of the seat (or more so bench) itself. McMahon is dumpy, but a lot of it could be addressed by modernization. It would bring it up to the level of every other newer CFL stadium.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #80
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post

As for the game. Agreed the fighter jet flyover is top notch. The second pass today was spectacular. What a neat moment. All facets of the stamps game were on today. The defence and OL in particular.

Statement game for sure.

Maver is instant field position. Might be the most underrated guy on the roster.
It's not friendly at all to elderly and disabled unless they are sitting close to the bottom of the stadium. My dad has knee issues and he held his washroom break until the end of the game because the walk up and down the stairs was just too far for him and we were only at row 35. This is not a great thing when you consider that the CFL fanbase is on the old side.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote