Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-05-2020, 01:22 PM   #21
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Obvious answer is that the Flames need to get him a jersey with Avangard technology

The symbol on the front adds 70 points to speed and the G drive shoulder straps add 100 points to power

/thread
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2020, 01:30 PM   #22
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Tkachuk needs very little change.
When this team decides they don't need Matthew alone to drag them into games snd he gets that monkey off his back maybe we will see more production.

He sure as hell aint a bully.

Doesn't need to become one either.

If he continues his Perryesque style play of drawing more than the average penalties and scores timely goals im damn happy.

What he accomplished this year was pretty impressive considering the year it was .

If we put him and Lindholm together I think we see something different in both of them....add Dube or Eat bread to the equation now you have a line .

Don't change Matty....the team around him needs to change the mentality IF we ever wanna talk success.

I'd love some more players who had his level of compete.....lets bring in his Brother or answer my prayers to the hockey gods ....Jack Eichel o lord...
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:00 PM   #23
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still think he can improve his skating. That would move his game Up a level.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:28 PM   #24
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk is doing just about all that can be expected and hoped for, with Backlund and Mangiapane as his line-mates. In order for him to take it to the next level and be a consistent point per game player, he needs to have better line-mates.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #25
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Oh are we starting the Tkachuk isn't a "true"/"generational"/"bona-fide" top line LW now? Cool.
Are you saying that you believe that Tkachuk is a true, generational, bonafide, top Lwer now?

As others have mentioned, Tkachuk needs to work on his skating and getting stronger. I believe he realizes these weaknesses and as he ages, he will get better at both.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #26
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Better linemates
Yeah, I think Tkachuk could be a regular top-20 scorer in the league if he played with an elite centre.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:54 PM   #27
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, I think Tkachuk could be a regular top-20 scorer in the league if he played with an elite centre.
Even if it wasn't an elite centre, but an effective one who's a playmaker, or having a winger that's a playmaker (Gaudreau) could yield some high output.

If Johnny is around next season, having him and Gaudreau on a line together should be strongly considered.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 02:57 PM   #28
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The real problem on the second line is that gaping hole on RW that's been in need of an upgrade for years. Frolik was never the right solution and Mangiapane isn't either... no offense to either of those guys (pun intended).

We'll see Tkachuk take his game to another level when both him and Backlund no longer have to carry both a no-name stopgap RWer on their line and all the hard defensive match-ups.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:00 PM   #29
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

I see Tkachuk becoming the next Jamie Benn. If he can have a similar career, I would be pretty happy.

Swayze11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 03:07 PM   #30
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk has extremely high hockey IQ and has proven production with his skating in the NHL after only 3 seasons. Other than improving his skating, I don't see any other part of his game that needs significant improvement. Flames need to do everything they can to keep him with the team longterm and eventually name him captain.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 04:06 PM   #31
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Skating. He looks like an awkward peewee kid out there. He makes enough money to pay for coaching in the off season. If he really wanted to improve, he could. Even if it's just a little bit. Doesn't need to be night and day but it could be better and it could help him elevate his game.

Last edited by Cycling76er; 09-05-2020 at 04:19 PM.
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 07:44 PM   #32
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Don't be fooled, he didn't get on the scoreboard much but Tkachuk had his fingerprints all over their success right up until he was taken out, and him going down had a lot to do with the turn in overall momentum of play.

It's a blow to the teams spirit. You immediately lose a handful of advantages you would draw with him in, the other team is a lot less bothered to be playing you, and he galvanizes the bench with his energy. Not to mention the Flames slot a lot less favorably without him in. He got the guys to go to war vs winnipeg and game one against Dallas.

Series might have had a pretty different complexion if he stayed healthy for it.

Last edited by djsFlames; 09-05-2020 at 07:47 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 06:38 AM   #33
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
Skating. He looks like an awkward peewee kid out there. He makes enough money to pay for coaching in the off season. If he really wanted to improve, he could. Even if it's just a little bit. Doesn't need to be night and day but it could be better and it could help him elevate his game.
Look at how much Draisaitl improved his skating. It’s possible.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #34
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For me the best Tkachuk comparable in the league right now is Gabe Landeskog. Plays a mean power game, clear leader of his team, great player on his own, becomes elite when paired with dynamic talent.

I'm not saying that the solution for Tkachuk to get to the next level is to go and get Nathan Mackinnon to play with him. But I think that Landeskog is a good example of how Tkachuk ideally fits on a team that's got all the boxes ticked in terms of talent in the right roster spots.
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #35
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
It is clearly not realistically possible for everyone. If it were, then no one in the NHL would struggle with foot-speed like Tkachuk. Some players are poor skaters—that's just how it is.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #36
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

To take the next step offensively, he has to find offensive chemistry with a linemate or linemates.

Obviously had something to start his career with Frolik and Backlund. But the last third of the last season, Frolik and him and Backlund had truly terrible stats, especially for a NHL level second line scoring line, though Tkachuk was out for a handful of games with injuries. Playoff that line was on for 3 of the GWG against the Avs, and terrible offensively.

Backlund is fine as a placeholder, but Backlund probably plays the same level with others on his line.

But, MT doesn't look like anyone else on this team he especially clicks with. The first line PP sure but that's a different scenario and role obviously.

So,if that player isn't on the roster, you hope the Flames get a player he can click with, because the Flames need two legit scoring lines to get anywhere.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2020, 11:51 PM   #37
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Horvat too

Strides can be fixed I'd be surprised if he wasn't working with a skating coach every summer tkachuk looks like a better skater now than his rookie year, I'd expect it to keep improving
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote