Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-26-2020, 11:11 AM   #181
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
And only 4 of them are 1st rounders.

As bad as the Flames are in the 1st round, they do seem to have a decent history of drafting players in later rounds. Maybe a product of having good scouts, but a lousy GM, since the GMs often put their foot down in the 1st round or 2, then let the scouts hash it out after that as GMs have little time during the season to watch kids play.
I disagree with the assertion that the Flames have been bad in the 1st round lately. The last truly bad pick was the Jankowski trade down fiasco in 2012.

Sam Bennett turned out to be a let down, but he was by far the consensus #4 pick at that point, and many had him in the top 3 or even 2. Nylander and Ehler at #8 and 9 clearly turned out better, but picking either of those picks would have meant going off the board in a big way.

I still think there's a chance Bennett could become the better pick too. A 50ish point crash and bang Bennett is much better than a 60ish point perimeter Nylander/Ehlers. The power forwards do take longer to develop, and Bennett's numbers have been skewed down by slavish coaching decisions concerning his deployment.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:33 AM   #182
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I disagree with the assertion that the Flames have been bad in the 1st round lately. The last truly bad pick was the Jankowski trade down fiasco in 2012.

Sam Bennett turned out to be a let down, but he was by far the consensus #4 pick at that point, and many had him in the top 3 or even 2. Nylander and Ehler at #8 and 9 clearly turned out better, but picking either of those picks would have meant going off the board in a big way.

I still think there's a chance Bennett could become the better pick too. A 50ish point crash and bang Bennett is much better than a 60ish point perimeter Nylander/Ehlers. The power forwards do take longer to develop, and Bennett's numbers have been skewed down by slavish coaching decisions concerning his deployment.
Central scouting had Bennett #1 at both their mid season and final rankings

Everyone had the same top 4
Old 08-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #183
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

16. Wilson
17. Hertl
18. Teravainen
19. Vasilevskiy

SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 12:03 PM   #184
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
16. Wilson
17. Hertl
18. Teravainen
19. Vasilevskiy

I remember shouting at the TV in the bar i was sitting in at the time. wanted teravainen or vasi, would have been great for this club.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 12:44 PM   #185
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
16. Wilson
17. Hertl
18. Teravainen
19. Vasilevskiy

That's what happens when the decision makers think they are the smartest men in the room at the draft. To be fair to Feaster that was the Weisbrod draft that yielded Kulak as the best player out of the 7 picks made.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #186
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What's even crazier about that whole 2012 draft trade down scenario is that the Flames used the 2nd they got from Buffalo for trading trading down to get Sieloff, then two spots later in the 2nd round the Sabres used the Flames 2nd that they got from the Regehr trade to pick Jake McCabe who obviously ended up a better pick than Sieloff.

What a #### show in hind sight.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:20 PM   #187
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
What's even crazier about that whole 2012 draft trade down scenario is that the Flames used the 2nd they got from Buffalo for trading trading down to get Sieloff, then two spots later in the 2nd round the Sabres used the Flames 2nd that they got from the Regehr trade to pick Jake McCabe who obviously ended up a better pick than Sieloff.

What a #### show in hind sight.
The issue with Sieloff is that he was a rough n' tumble player without the size and zero offense. It seems like his path to the NHL was going to be hard no matter what. Not big enough to be a physical defender at the NHL, and very little in the way of other skills or attributes.
What did they think he was going to be?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:22 PM   #188
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The issue with Sieloff is that he was a rough n' tumble player without the size and zero offense. It seems like his path to the NHL was going to be hard no matter what. Not big enough to be a physical defender at the NHL, and very little in the way of other skills or attributes.
What did they think he was going to be?
Sieloff scores a goal a game in the NHL. Shows what you know.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #189
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think they also rated Matt Finn very highly in that draft. Just completely whiffed on defensemen in that draft.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:28 PM   #190
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I think they also rated Matt Finn very highly in that draft. Just completely whiffed on defensemen in that draft.
I think a lot of people rated Matt Finn highly. He looked like he had a lot of tools to be a good NHLer.

Some players just don't put it all together.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #191
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I think this is the same scouting group that also identified Andersson, Kylington, Fox and Valimaki in more recent years, no? It seems like this should be counted as a successful transition in draft philosophy with Treliving's regime.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #192
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
For sure but if Treliving makes that same deal for the Flames people here would be pulling their hair out mad. I understand why the Penguins did it but if you are strictly looking at the trade based on assets moving in and out it's an extremely poor trade for the Penguins. You simply don't trade that sort of capital for a decent player.
Whatever the Pens get back for Kapanen in the future is very likely worth as much to them in the big picture as this year's #15.

They risk missing out on a big fish like Barzal, Larkin, Chabot, K Connor, or R Thomas. But just one of those isn't going to be enough to re-tool on the fly post-Crosby, anyways.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #193
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Struch View Post
On the flip side, the Flames certainly look to be turning it around lately though, this could turn out to be Calgary's best 7 year stretch of drafting ever...

2019 Jakob Pelletier, Ilya Nikolaev, Dustin Wolf
2018 Martin Pospisil, Emilio Pettersen, Dmitry Zavgorodniy
2017 Juuso Välimäki, Adam Ruzicka
2016 Matthew Tkachuk, Tyler Parsons, Dillon Dubé, Adam Fox, Eetu Tuulola, Matthew Phillips
2015 Rasmus Andersson, Oliver Kylington, Andrew Mangiapane
2014 Sam Bennett
2013 Sean Monahan
And drafted Gaudreau in 2011? They have done a pretty good job drafting for 9 years and have traded lots of picks away.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 02:09 PM   #194
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It was more a comment on the ability to draft NHL players in later rounds.
Old 08-26-2020, 02:18 PM   #195
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It was more a comment on the ability to draft NHL players in later rounds.
But you said, "As bad as then Flames are at drafting in the 1st round," which sounds like the insinuation that they have been particularly bad at this. Perhaps a poor choice of phrasing on your part?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #196
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

This sucks, I wanted the Flames to grab him. But I also dont think they could do a trade like Pittsburgh did for him.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote