Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-25-2020, 10:23 PM   #61
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Important to note that both Peters and Sutter are from Alberta. I think the question mainly surrounds coaches from the U.S. or down east.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2020, 10:48 PM   #62
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Important to note that both Peters and Sutter are from Alberta. I think the question mainly surrounds coaches from the U.S. or down east.
Here is an article with an interview of Gerard Gallant about his firing in Vegas:

https://www.reviewjournal.com/sports...iring-1947421/

Not sure about quoting part of an article on a public message board but the part that struck me was this:

— On his next coaching stop: “When you’re a coach and you’re no longer coaching, you’re going to look at anything. If something comes up and somebody calls me, I’ll listen to anybody and everybody. It doesn’t matter where the team’s at (in the standings). You look at the NHL today, the top team and the bottom team, seriously, there’s not a huge difference. And it can change from year to year. It really does. There’s so many teams that are close. I’m going to listen to anybody that wants to talk.”
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2020, 12:00 AM   #63
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
It seemed like an excruciating price but if you’re dying of thirst, no price is too high for a glass of water.

If you don’t have the elite forward talent to be a contender, maybe you need to pay the price it takes to acquire such talent. Zucker or Kadri would have been nice but they’re not Stone. Nor is Taylor Hall.

Obviously it’s easy to say in hindsight. At least our GM tried right?
Yes, hindsight is easy.

Not taking any shots at Treliving, really, because had Valimaki been 100% for camp this year and been a difference maker at the back as advertised, it would’ve also meant someone in the top 6 D was gone at some point, for a decent return, and that return would’ve helped out as well for the team this season and playoffs.

But now 10 months later there was no Valamaki, no development in his game the last calendar year, no return for the guy or guys he is supplanting, so that has the organization and himself that much further behind in of itself, regardless of what the Flames could’ve traded him for in Stone.

Had you had a crystal ball and told Treliving at trade deadline 2019 that the Flames were going to go cold in the final stretch and 2019 playoffs and be out after 1 round, he may make that deal instead of protecting Valimaki. But they were leading the WC at the time too and playing well.

And/or, if you told Treliving that Valimaki was going to get hurt in Summer 2019 and miss the entire 19-20 season and/or the Flames were not going to get out of the first round in 2020 due to some sputtering offence, he again may make that deal, knowing how critical scoring would be and how critical a player like that losing a calendar year of NHL time is for development.

One just hopes he settles in early to his role and steadily progresses.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote