Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-08-2020, 05:31 PM   #61
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Treliving and Bean back today:

- All players on the Flames' list are in Calgary. Some still finishing up quarantine.
- Treliving confirms the Flames will hold training camp in Calgary, and then head to their hub (Edmonton) on the 26th.
- Schedule not finalized yet but will play their first game on either the 1st or 2nd.
- As of now, roster sizes are 31 players but subject to change as with everything.
- Haven't received any indication or notification of any Flames opting out, though window is still open.
- On Valimaki: still not cleared for contact. Mentions that throwing a player who last played in a real game 15+ months ago into a playoff game is probably not the best. His full recovery is 100% priority. Mentioned they expected an 11- to 12-month recovery which they tried to keep quiet.
- Still no resolution to conditional trades.
- Three days of training camp will be treated as game days to prepare mind/body. Morning skate, video, nap, pre-game meal, scrimmage.
- Possibly one pre-season game??? (I got distracted so probably misheard the context of this)
- Bean again mentions the bowls in the new building will be steeper than in Edmonton, more comparable with Detroit.
- Reiterates they strongly considered the complete inverted bowl as rumoured but didn't want to be the first in existence given getting it wrong for $500 million is a big cost. Again, arena will be a hybrid between existing and inverted - highest seats will be much closer to the ice laterally than the 'Dome's.
- Play-in games will likely be considered regional games with regional broadcasters. Not finalized. Playoffs will be national crews.
- Rink sponsorship issues (on-ice paint, boards) still in discussion. May just go with NHL logos. Also, for instance, Rogers Place's centre ice circle is the Oilers' logo - will that be removed for ice or NHL symbol?
- Treliving recommends Grit by Angela Duckworth as a quarantine read. Sent a copy to all the players.

Nice summary, other highlights from today for me were:
- Confirmed only one formal ‘exhibition’ game planned in Edmonton
- Roster is still fluid but building it to win it all, not just to beat Jets. When season ended had 26 roster players. Of the 31 expected players some will be taxi squad from Stockton. Mackay not eligible to play in Phase 4 but wanted him to be part of camp experience.
- Don’t feel any real home ice advantages. Confirmed locker rooms would be rotated fairly.
- Emphasized depth on blue line and I got the impression they really don’t expect Valimaki to play
- Appears will be flat cap for next few years. We’re in a fairly good spot with most core players under contract
- Trev said Team are ‘like school kids’ in the locker room, very excited to be back and playing. Taking things seriously and everyone can’t wait to get to Edmonton.
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Blankcanvas For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 05:37 PM   #62
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankcanvas View Post
...everyone can’t wait to get to Edmonton.
There is a first and a last time for everything.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 10:19 AM   #63
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
- Three days of training camp will be treated as game days to prepare mind/body. Morning skate, video, nap, pre-game meal, scrimmage.
I have a question about this: in another thread it was reported that Training Camps would open next week on 13 July. Are camps going to stretch over two weeks, or take place over three days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #64
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have a question about this: in another thread it was reported that Training Camps would open next week on 13 July. Are camps going to stretch over two weeks, or take place over three days?

They're two weeks - I believe Tree is saying 3 of those days will specifically be structured like game days.
ComixZone is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2020, 10:36 AM   #65
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post

I believe that's just characterizing the certain three days of training camp that will simulate games.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #66
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blankcanvas View Post
Nice summary, other highlights from today for me were:
- Confirmed only one formal ‘exhibition’ game planned in Edmonton
- Roster is still fluid but building it to win it all, not just to beat Jets. When season ended had 26 roster players. Of the 31 expected players some will be taxi squad from Stockton. Mackay not eligible to play in Phase 4 but wanted him to be part of camp experience.
- Don’t feel any real home ice advantages. Confirmed locker rooms would be rotated fairly.
- Emphasized depth on blue line and I got the impression they really don’t expect Valimaki to play
- Appears will be flat cap for next few years. We’re in a fairly good spot with most core players under contract
- Trev said Team are ‘like school kids’ in the locker room, very excited to be back and playing. Taking things seriously and everyone can’t wait to get to Edmonton.
The only thing that could top Bo Levi & the Stampeders celebrating a Grey Cup Championship in the Eskimos' dressing room...
Howie_16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:52 PM   #67
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Treliving and Bean back today:

- All players on the Flames' list are in Calgary. Some still finishing up quarantine.
- Treliving confirms the Flames will hold training camp in Calgary, and then head to their hub (Edmonton) on the 26th.
- Schedule not finalized yet but will play their first game on either the 1st or 2nd.
- As of now, roster sizes are 31 players but subject to change as with everything.
- Haven't received any indication or notification of any Flames opting out, though window is still open.
- On Valimaki: still not cleared for contact. Mentions that throwing a player who last played in a real game 15+ months ago into a playoff game is probably not the best. His full recovery is 100% priority. Mentioned they expected an 11- to 12-month recovery which they tried to keep quiet.
- Still no resolution to conditional trades.
- Possibly one pre-season game??? (I got distracted so probably misheard the context of this)
- Bean again mentions the bowls in the new building will be steeper than in Edmonton, more comparable with Detroit.
- Reiterates they strongly considered the complete inverted bowl as rumoured but didn't want to be the first in existence given getting it wrong for $500 million is a big cost. Again, arena will be a hybrid between existing and inverted - highest seats will be much closer to the ice laterally than the 'Dome's.
- Play-in games will likely be considered regional games with regional broadcasters. Not finalized. Playoffs will be national crews.
- Rink sponsorship issues (on-ice paint, boards) still in discussion. May just go with NHL logos. Also, for instance, Rogers Place's centre ice circle is the Oilers' logo - will that be removed for ice or NHL symbol?
- Treliving recommends Grit by Angela Duckworth as a quarantine read. Sent a copy to all the players.

Please tell me the forward is by Stephane Yelle!
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to schteve_d For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 03:22 PM   #68
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schteve_d View Post
Please tell me the forward is by Stephane Yelle!
i don't get it.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 03:24 PM   #69
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

His nickname's Sandbox, because he's gritty.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 11:38 AM   #70
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Treliving and Ward today, with Wills hosting.

First time hearing Ward speak for me - he's very well spoken and articulate.

- Q for Treliving: Who starts tomorrow? A: Well I can announce we've finally narrowed it down to either Cam Talbot or David Rittich.
- Q: for Ward: How have you prepared the top line for physicality of playoffs and what needs to change from last year. A: The line did a lot themselves, recognizing they have to play differently than they did last year. Don't need to make big changes - a bit more committed defensively which goes for all lines. Make sure to backcheck and focus on being in the right spots in our own zone. Understand and remember that good defence generates offensive opportunities.
- Ward says he was impressed with how Gaudreau came into camp. Very prepared and had a lot of jump. Feel like he's ready for a breakout playoffs. Treliving echoes that and adds that Gaudreau is very hungry for success and knows he needs to prove it on the ice.
- Q for both: What was learned last year - sometimes you need to lose before you win? A (Treliving): Every play matters in the playoffs which sometimes you learn the hard way. Also the Flames are still a young and developing team. Look at the Capitals failures before success.
- Q for Ward: What did your time with the Bruins teach you about a winning team's learning and developing. A: Echoes what Treliving said - lots of disappointment before success. Won the Presidents Trophy and lost four games in a row to Philly after being up 3-0 to get bounced in the first round. The next year we won the Cup. Learned a lot from that as hard as it was. Cup was the result of five years of learning. The year they won the cup, they were down 2-0 in the first round to Montreal but the group had learned from adversity to power through - Mark Recchi was a big leader voicing that. Even in the cup year they went to overtime in game 7 in the first round.
Q for Treliving: You've been here for a number of years - do you feel like the team is finally ready to win? A: I think the team has gone through a lot of the steps in building toward winning. That said, there are 24 teams saying that same thing. Right now we are just focused on the first period of the first game against the Jets tomorrow. We can say all the right things but ultimately we need to do the right things on the ice. Like the team and the businesslike mindset the guys have, but interested to see how they perform on the ice. Very impressed with how the guys have approached this and they all bond well.
Q for Ward: Which black ace stood out to you? A: All of them. Simple answer but the truthful one. No issues putting any of them in. Mentions Quine, Czarnik, and Froese as NHL veterans who are black aces which speaks to the depth of the team.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 07-31-2020 at 11:42 AM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2020, 04:54 PM   #71
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames are doing another batch this week. Treliving and Bean today.

- Treliving says unlikely next season is 82 games, but not confirmed yet. Want to play as many games as they reasonably can. All-Canadian division isn't finalized but is getting a lot of traction. Still targeting January 1st start until told otherwise.
- Treliving on the all-Canadian division: It would be a very tough division as all six other teams improved. Singles out the Senators specifically. As a fan of the game, it would be "cool as hell" - imagine rivalries not just with the Oilers and Canucks but all the Canadian teams.

Treliving/Bean on the draft:
- Bean says they had Zary ranked 12th or 13th going into the draft. Happy they dropped twice and still got him.
- Treliving says this was one of the deepest drafts in recent history. Says 19th overall in this draft is not a normal draft's 19.
- At 19, the Flames had "two or three" players ranked closely so it made sense to trade down. Same thing the second time. It worked out especially in that Zary was the highest they ranked of those two or three anyway.
- On World Juniors: Kuznetsov and Wolf will make their teams, while Zary, Pelletier, Nodler, Feuk will participate in camps with a chance.
- Treliving mentions Kuznetsov goes to school at "UConn". Cyr says he didn't know there was a university in that part of Canada (Yukon). Not sure if serious.

Treliving on free agency:
- Why the focus on Canucks players? Treliving jokes COVID limited their budget so much they could only scout teams within a one-hour flight.
- Had Markstrom as a big target should he make it to free agency - they weren't sure he actually would. Once it became clear he was going to, he became the priority.
- The Flames were up front with Talbot and his agent about this plan.
- Kept in touch with Brodie, but Tanev was second on their list behind Brodie. Once Brodie finalized with the Maple Leafs they recognized a need for a right shot. But plan is to begin transitioning the blue line to Andersson, Hanifin, and Valimaki. Also have Mackey and Kylington in the mix.
- Have had interest in Leivo - only concern was injuries. Flew Leivo to Calgary to undergo testing with Flames' medical folks. All checked out so they got the deal done. Good add with a right shot.
- Treliving and Maloney have a history with Dominigue from Phoenix/Arizona. Having a third goalie with NHL experience was important for the team going into next season.

Bean on the new arena/event centre:
- Capacity will be "18,400, give or take".
- The design of the two bowls is almost done.
- Arena footprint is almost done.
- Hopeful to have design schematic by end of January.
- From there, work things into budget and detailed design by end of August.
- Targeted grand opening of September 2024 is unchanged.
- Hopeful to have a soft opening for concerts during Stampede 2024.

Other:
- Bean says they have been debating Blasty internally for two years. Ken King was strongly opposed to Blasty but "younger folks" in the organization pushed very hard for Blasty. Matt Dumba told Jake Bean that the Blasty jersey is his favourite in the entire league - early reception is the jersey is a huge success among the younger demographic.
- Treliving on 2021 draft: Very tough with some leagues playing and some not. Simply can't get to some places for live viewing. A challenge. Lots of video being watched. Also good opportunity to review 2020 undrafted players.
- About 12-15 players in Calgary right now skating together, plus a few prospects. (Unclear if it's 12-15 including or excluding the prospects)
- Chrysler sponsorship ended so the club seating area is now the Telus Club. Full renovation, carpet to lights, so things look new and modern. Telus being a technology company wanted to integrate lots of technology so a big enhancement and experience down there.
- The Flames got into a bit of trouble with the NHL in the bubble because so many of the Flames' players wanted to watch other games live together at the arena they exceeded their box's capacity a couple times. Speaks to how close the guys are with wanting to spend time together and how motivated they are watching other games.

Hopefully another poster can correct mistakes and fill in the gaps. And thanks to the Flames for putting these on.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."

Last edited by united; 11-25-2020 at 05:00 PM.
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 05:59 PM   #72
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Capacity of new arena appears lower than initially reported. Was hoping for closer to 19,000. Will be lots of suits, boxes, and lodges to suck up more money.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Familia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:23 PM   #73
Blankcanvas
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Treliving & Bean 6pm Nov 25, 2020

Likely similar to what 'united' reported from yesterday but I can add from today:

Bean started with the economic woes due to Covid. Eight months of zero revenue with no fans in the stadiums = significant challenges for the business side of things.

January 1st still the current planned NHL start date, with probable Canadian division but still lots of issues and uncertainties. However, Bean said in his opinion NHL is on pause not only until a schedule has been decided but until fans can also come into the building.

Treliving on the draft - Won't know for a few years if it was a successful draft. Really high on Zary and were pleased to get him where they did while moving down twice. Talked about having a horizontal list with ledges. Had a group of 3/4 guys that were on the same ledge so were prepared to get the assets knowing there were still several players on their list. Managed to do it twice, was an intense time but ended up getting the first choice guy. Said having private room this year was good as usually worried about others hearing what you are talking about on the traditional 'floor'.

Bean on COVID changes - a lot of work going on behind the scenes to plan. Might get 2,500-3,500 fans allowed back and manifesting the building to plan quadrant timed access and allocated seating/sections. Fully touch-less entrance and food/beverage orders from seats planned. In process of asking exemption from Government to allow continued training as sports are not allowed at any level. Covid testing players and staff twice a week.

Treviling on taking so many Cannucks - thought goal tending was good last year but when looking at the market place saw at least 2 top 10 goalies might be available. Markstrum in prime of career, has leadership and driven. These type of players don't become available in free-agency very often and wanted to secure goaltending for the longer term. Lindholm helped convince Markstrum to come here. Had previous interest in the other players and managed to get deals done. Wanted depth at every position as expecting condensed schedule.

Bean on new event centre - lots of work going on e.g. meetings held even this afternoon with the architects. Senior management team more involved with the design more so than expected due to Covid. Approach is 'want we want' not so much as what can we get with 'a set amount of money'. Will have everything finalized to break ground by September 2021.

Treliving on Valimaki - rehabbed with us and came to the bubble. Fully healed and playing with his home town team in Finland. It's a good league and important to get him playing. He's playing well but main thing for us is that he is playing. He's going to be a big part of our present and future.

Treviling on Ward - wanted consistency through the remainder of the seasons and playoffs. Evaluated in off season and felt he is the right coach at this particular time. He's a worker and he's here in town. It's good for him, his family and for us. We are excited.

Treliving expansion draft - don't foresee rules changing i.e. will be the same as Vegas joining. Challenging part is dates may be pushed due to Covid. We protect our group and they will pick. Entry level draft will be more challenging due to disrupted 2020-21 season across the board.

Some general things:
WHL - Planned Jan 8th start with 4 divisions and limited schedule. Day travel only and no overnights. Just want the kids to play. Ownership agreed to let them play and fund them with no fans/revenue.

NLL - April start planned. Hard to see how they could play without fans as gate driven business.

CFL - hopeful will play next year regular season

Concerts - booking into Q3-Q4 2021 and hoping will see return to normalcy by then

Jersey's - sold over 1,000 Blatsy jerseys - top 5 in league. King and Cyr not fans of Blatsy but tons of great feed back from fans.

Chrysler now Telus Club - change in sponsorship. Full renovation of the club with new technology. It looks good and people won't recognize it.

Treliving on Gio's Messier award - lucky to have Mark. He really is the engine that drives us. Behind the scenes he is an example to everybody through out the organization. He still wants to win the fittest guy in camp award, gives back to the community, full time resident in Calgary and very lucky to have hims as the moral compass and leader of the locker room.
Blankcanvas is offline   Reply With Quote