Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: What do you think of the trade after a week of getting your head around it?
Love it, think Lucic is an upgrade 109 16.80%
Like it, clears some cap space even if Lucic is no better 197 30.35%
Indifferent, both teams getting a failed project 187 28.81%
Dislike it, Neal needed another year to bounce back 107 16.49%
Hate it, Neal will be better in Edmonton 49 7.55%
Voters: 649. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-10-2019, 03:16 PM   #3641
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

So Kassian has replaced RNHs lack of production who is slumping, and Neal is scoring at the pace of two overachieving wingers from last year?
Not sure that's a compelling argument to make in favor of the Neal/Lucic swap.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #3642
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Both players are bad. But I'd rather have a bad player that scores goals than a one that doesn't.

I recall Neal’s horrible season and attitude last year, right down to his last shift as a Calgary Flame.

Good riddance.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:25 PM   #3643
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh I agree, he was Lucic bad last year for the Flames.

But it's hard to see how he wouldn't be scoring those goals for the Flames this year. He's just standing infront of the net and shooting the puck on the PP, literally doing nothing else.
Saqe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:28 PM   #3644
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:

But it's hard to see how he wouldn't be scoring those goals for the Flames this year. He's just standing infront of the net and shooting the puck on the PP, literally doing nothing else.

But PP1 is full here. He would not get the ice time, sulk, and be what he was last year
Old 11-10-2019, 03:29 PM   #3645
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

What are you suggesting - take Tkachuk off the PP and have Neal there instead?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:33 PM   #3646
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't quote for some reason but it's not like the PP has been on fire. And having more players who can shoot the puck on the PP is never bad. At least it would make the other unit deeper / give more options.
Old 11-10-2019, 05:25 PM   #3647
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They tried Neal on the pp last year. It didn’t work so why do you think it would work better now?
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kasi For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 06:40 PM   #3648
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Both players are bad. But I'd rather have a bad player that scores goals than a one that doesn't.
He wouldn't be scoring goals here. The only reason he would even be dressed would be to justify his contract. So you would have a bad player who causes more GA than GF, instead of a bad player who hits and isn't a complete liability on the ice.
Redrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:43 PM   #3649
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

His nose was out of joint, doubt he would have brought it this year unless he got his own way. oilers on the other hand tend to give opportunities rather than have players earn it; So that situation was a good fit for Neal. All Neal had to do last season was "earn it", but he chose to hold the team hostage with his poor attitude and poor inexcusable play.

Flames made the right choice to cut him loose rather than reward bad behavior and baggage which he carried with him all season! He was paid well as a professional to perform, but still came to work unprepared (That is on Neal). He didn't want set an example, he wanted opportunities handed to him.

To play on the top lines you have to be able to shut down the other teams top lines; If Neal refused to put in the 2 way work just wanting to stand in front of the net and scoring goals, you can see why he would be considered a liability. If Neal had earned it, I have no doubt he would have been put on those top 2 lines.

Considering the Oilers are poorly structured, they are not going to make Neal earn anything. Scoring goals is great but does not translate into strong positional 2 way play.
DazzlinDino is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 08:13 PM   #3650
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
His nose was out of joint, doubt he would have brought it this year unless he got his own way. oilers on the other hand tend to give opportunities rather than have players earn it; So that situation was a good fit for Neal. All Neal had to do last season was "earn it", but he chose to hold the team hostage with his poor attitude and poor inexcusable play.

Maybe so. But still it's hard to see how he wouldn't score those goals switching to a Flames jersey. Standing infront of the net and shooting / tipping pucks. Does nothing else of value of course.

The real culprit here is Treliving. Signing a UFA to a major deal only having to trade him for one of the worst contracts in the league a year later is inexcusable. Or should be. But it seems that the whole debacle has centered around Lucic vs. Neal instead.
The Following User Says Thank You to Saqe For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2019, 10:41 PM   #3651
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lucic again aside from price tag has been fine. And really Neal is still a big minus player who plays on a power play with 2 studs. He is a liability at 5 on 5. Lucic although not much better at 5 on 5 than Neal. Is still much better than Neal
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:11 PM   #3652
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe so. But still it's hard to see how he wouldn't score those goals switching to a Flames jersey. Standing infront of the net and shooting / tipping pucks. Does nothing else of value of course.

The real culprit here is Treliving. Signing a UFA to a major deal only having to trade him for one of the worst contracts in the league a year later is inexcusable. Or should be. But it seems that the whole debacle has centered around Lucic vs. Neal instead.

Pretty much what you said, "he is not doing much else!"

No question the Flames missed on Neal; It is a significant setback and Treliving, or scouting has to take some responsibility.

If the Flames are committed to building a team that can win the division, ultimately go all the way. We need players who are committed and can play both ends of the ice. We can safely say now that Neal does not fit the bill. I think the Flames are still short a top six that can push guys down into some proper spots. Progressively learning as management and as a team is always part of the equation, but not the end of the world!

Treliving, and scouts have to take a harder look to maximize that top 6 spot.
DazzlinDino is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 11:16 PM   #3653
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Isn’t Treliving taking accountability?

He is running the team within the constraints he created.

Saved the owners money after his boo-boo. Then he has to deal with the roster implications.

I can’t see how he has avoided accountability
Old 11-10-2019, 11:16 PM   #3654
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

So you are saying Neal will score at the same pace if he is still with the Flames?
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 12:42 AM   #3655
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

I might be all alone here, I don't know, but I'm pretty much over this whole thing.

Neal have scored a few goals due to opportunities that he never would have had here, he is still exactly the same player as last year in every other aspect. Lucic has come pretty much as advertised, and he's had a handful of games where he's been really good and made a noticable difference on the ice which is all I was really hoping for.

Milan Lucic has been quite a bit better for the Flames than James Neal was last year, and his skillset and his strenghts as a player will allow him be about as effective as he is now for a few years still. I don't mind Lucic on the team. The contract is what it is. I'm over it.

The mistake was not trading James Neal for Milan Lucic, the mistake was signing James Neal to a huge contract.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2019, 05:15 AM   #3656
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It depends what you mean by "over this whole thing". I'm over the discussion in a sense that there's not much else to say about it that hasn't been said.

But as a fan hoping for a Stanley Cup it'll be hard to ever be over it as this Neal signing has potential to be the move that caps our ceiling as a "not quite good enough to contend for a Cup" team with this core, triggering a rebuild in 2-3 years with no significant success.

Last edited by jayswin; 11-11-2019 at 05:19 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 05:18 AM   #3657
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

And by "triggers a rebuild" I of course mean "ownership refuses to accept selling core players in their prime for proper rebuild, so we add **** for three more years to try to sneak into the playoffs then lose our stars to free agency or sell for pennies on the dollar".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #3658
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

We can kiss that 3rd rounder away. I can't see Neal playing another game this season with all these trades the Oilers are making.

FU Neal!
Old 02-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #3659
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Die, thread. Die.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:24 PM   #3660
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a shame. That 3rd rounder could have paid for Gustafson it seems. Would have been awesome.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote