Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2020, 09:38 AM   #301
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

100% guaranteed if they start throwing in "alien of the week" episodes into this series, there will be angry complaints that they are just stalling/wasting time not progressing the main plot thread.

this happened even with Mandalorian which is 8 half-hour episodes. the minute they went to do a bit of character building via self-contained side mission, some people were immediately like "what did that have to do with anything, get to the point goddammit"
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 09:41 AM   #302
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, people suck.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 10:03 AM   #303
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Discovery certainly has a couple episodic episodes. The one with Harry Mudd for sure.

DS9 certainly wasnt very episodic by the end of the run. Even in TNG, in later seasons the episodes still were episodic, but there was also long running plots as well.

Take me out to the ball game was a prime example of that. One of my favorite episodes, but at the same time there was still the underlying storyline of the dominion war looming large.

It also showed that for all their evolution and logic, Vulcan's were still jerks

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 08:57 PM   #304
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think I can get over the swearing because maybe good old fashioned curses are timeless, but I'm struggling a bit with some of the other anachronisms. like sunglasses, airpods and vapes that look exactly like ours do today, or Raffi busting out the "pro tip" on her homie JL.

I'm half expecting that during the next space battle, Rios is going to say "I'm about to end this Romulan's whole career!" or one of the viewscreens will display a subspace message "rEsIsTaNcE iS fUtIlE LOL"

somewhat related, what was that Freecloud thing that popped up on Raffi's screen, it looked like she forgot to turn on her adblocker or something.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:10 PM   #305
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
somewhat related, what was that Freecloud thing that popped up on Raffi's screen, it looked like she forgot to turn on her adblocker or something.
Whatever it is, it's where they're going to try to find Maddox.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:28 PM   #306
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I think I can get over the swearing because maybe good old fashioned curses are timeless, but I'm struggling a bit with some of the other anachronisms. like sunglasses, airpods and vapes that look exactly like ours do today, or Raffi busting out the "pro tip" on her homie JL.

I'm half expecting that during the next space battle, Rios is going to say "I'm about to end this Romulan's whole career!" or one of the viewscreens will display a subspace message "rEsIsTaNcE iS fUtIlE LOL"

Old 02-14-2020, 11:59 PM   #307
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Didn't see anyone comment on the latest episode, but it was weird, boring and disjointed. We've also added a space ninja to the mix.

Even the space battle with the Romulan Bird of Prey just didn't have anything really interesting happen and was a set up for Jeri Ryan to beam aboard after helping the good guys win, make the usual quip "You owe me a ship" and then faint.

It did a bit to advance the story line, but other then that even Stewart managed to look half asleep throughout the episode. After the first three episodes showed a good quality, this episode should be labeled "Some stuff sort of happened, and then Space Legolas showed up"

Old 02-15-2020, 12:28 AM   #308
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That's zero for two now for new Star Trek I'm out. The writers have no idea what ST is, no idea who Picard is, no idea what The Federation is, their past, or pretty much anything involving Trek.

This show is garbage I liked what I saw of STD better.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 06:43 AM   #309
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Agreed.

I so much want to love this show ... but that episode was terrible.
Old 02-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #310
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is Star Trek. The 4th episode they finally get to space and I think "sweet, now it will get good!" Was I ever mistaken. Maybe next episode?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 09:02 AM   #311
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

On a positive note, its still pretty well acted, and they've assembled a pretty good cast. But there's been very little progress in terms of the villains and what they're really doing, or I'm old and its not clear. In fact the only villain move was the evil sister choking her brother in the bedroom.

In an age of phasers you're questing warrior walks around with a katana saying ninjaisms about hey choose life man.

I was most concerned that Patrick Stewart felt like he was mailing his performance in, he was really cardboard in this episode.

This series is just missing something on an emotional level, there's nothing that's really drawing me in and making me interested.

Add on

What good is a space ninja with a sword anyways. Especially far in the future against a intelligence organization. Is he going to sneak up on people all ninja like.

I can just see how that happens.

Tal Shiar big wig with his security team - "Sir our scanners have picked up someone trying to sneak up on us. Shall we call in a orbital bombardment on him"

Big Wig - "No number 6 I am curious, where is he?

TS security dude - "About a hundred yards that way"

Space Ninja steps out and pulls his sword - "You can choose not to die today, blah blah philosophical stuff. "

8 TS security goons pull out their super accurate light speed travelling weapons and fire, the space ninja screams and vanishes"

Big Wig - "Putz"

On the ship in orbit Picard chuckles - "I hated that kid anyways, why do I need a space ninja when I have a hot borg drone that can shoot phasers"

7 of 9 shows up in lingerie holding a martini and winks at the camera (This is about ratings ask Kes)

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 02-15-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:34 AM   #312
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yea, that was a weak episode, and I agree it didn't really advance the plot at all. That being said, I did enjoy seeing 7 of 9 again. Hopefully the next episode will finally get the story moving forward.

Overall I really liked the first 3 episodes, and I'm enjoying this show more than Discovery. But I'd say the Orville is still better than both of these shows.

Last edited by direwolf; 02-15-2020 at 10:39 AM.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #313
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. It goes back to my initial complaint that the episodes aren’t standalone like with TNG. A bad episode here are there with TNH doesn’t ruin anything, but here it can badly stall it. I’d have rather seen Picard just raiding his admiralty and for some reason or other have to take command of Enterprise again. Go on space adventures with crew with some headier missions that speak to the current state of affairs in the world.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:41 AM   #314
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Don't get me wrong, Dire, I like the series, but this episode was really not good to me, hoping that they bounce back.

Its great to see 7 of 9 back, hopefully she's had some acting lessons because going back and watching Voyager, she was really a bad actress.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:48 AM   #315
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

From the possible bad ideas file.

Spoiler!

Old 02-15-2020, 03:04 PM   #316
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

One minor tweak:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
From the possible bad ideas file.

Spoiler!

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 04:54 PM   #317
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Except the Picard in this series

Spoiler!

Old 02-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #318
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
OnI was most concerned that Patrick Stewart felt like he was mailing his performance in, he was really cardboard in this episode.
for me so far, it's actually been the opposite. I feel like he's emoting way more than TNG Picard ever did. On the Enterprise D, he was consistently measured, cordial, firm, authoritative, and a bit guarded. This new JL seems to be constantly grinning, surprised, pained and so on, basically anything but neutral, and his vocal inflections are exaggerated.

I get that it's been long time since he was last sitting in the chair of the flagship, but it feels like he's trying to make up for his physical frailty with a ton of un-Picard-like emotional energy. could be just me though.

Quote:
Space Ninja steps out and pulls his sword - "You can choose not to die today, blah blah philosophical stuff. "

8 TS security goons pull out their super accurate light speed travelling weapons and fire, the space ninja screams and vanishes"
this already almost happened with the one dude whipping out his disruptor just as Legolas was getting beamed up. maybe we'll find out his blade is neutronium coated and can deflect energy bolts.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #319
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
We see The Enterprise Z scream over firing phasers. The Romulans scatter to light speed
the Odyssey class is going to make an appearance at some point and kick the tritanium crap out of a squadron of Valdore warbirds closing in on Picard's tiny ship. book it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Inglewood Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2020, 02:02 PM   #320
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Overall another boring episode except for maybe the last 5 minutes. Don't really care about any of the characters, even Picard at this point.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote