Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-12-2018, 02:53 PM   #261
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
He may be the worst finisher in the NHL. In fact that's a growing concern.

But are you telling me you'd rather have third liners that don't generate scoring chances?

He creates. That's good. If he gets better at finishing they'll have a whale of a player. If he doesn't hopefully his teammates get the rebounds, or at very least he creates momentum and wears out the opposition defenseman in the meantime.
I love that you posted this right after complaining to me about people putting words in your mouth. Pot, meet kettle.

And, if I may put words in Flash's mouth, I think what he would rather have - as would many of the rest of us - is someone who generates offence. You keep fixating on scoring chances while ignoring the fact that we're concerned about his lack of actual production. Until Bennett figures out how to finish, then all the chances in the world don't amount to a can of beans.

I'd rather have someone who produces more offence, even if it means fewer chances. And given how little offence Bennett is on pace for, that's not exactly an unreasonable expectation.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #262
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I love that you posted this right after complaining to me about people putting words in your mouth. Pot, meet kettle.

And, if I may put words in Flash's mouth, I think what he would rather have - as would many of the rest of us - is someone who generates offence. You keep fixating on scoring chances while ignoring the fact that we're concerned about his lack of actual production. Until Bennett figures out how to finish, then all the chances in the world don't amount to a can of beans.

I'd rather have someone who produces more offence, even if it means fewer chances. And given how little offence Bennett is on pace for, that's not exactly an unreasonable expectation.
I've talked about his lack of production often, I'm not oblivious to it.

Didn't set out to put words in your mouth it's an honest question.

As I've stated often, once the productive players have spots in your line up I think you look to guys that generate emotion, chances, momentum to fill it in.

They have value.

Do you not see that in Bennett? Does he have to produce to not be traded or to show some patience?

I see a top line ... 2/3 of a second line and three guys that have been or could be filling in the last spot.

Frolik is shut down.
Neal is finish
Bennett is jam/energy (chances)

That puts Bennett in a 6-8 ranking on the team in value which isn't a terrible thing. I don't go out of my way to trade that.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 03:10 PM   #263
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I see a top line ... 2/3 of a second line and three guys that have been or could be filling in the last spot.

Frolik is shut down.
Neal is finish
We are getting 2 out of 3. And Bennett’s not the problem.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:16 PM   #264
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

As I've stated often, once the productive players have spots in your line up I think you look to guys that generate emotion, chances, momentum to fill it in.

They have value.

Do you not see that in Bennett? Does he have to produce to not be traded or to show some patience?

Frolik is shut down.
Neal is finish

That puts Bennett in a 6-8 ranking on the team in value which isn't a terrible thing. I don't go out of my way to trade that.
Precisely. Everyone (including him) wishes he would convert those chances but he makes positive things happen out there in so many different ways. Incredibly valuable.

People mentioned Byron and I recall reading how he watched a video of all the missed breakaways he got here - said his hands were moving too fast or something like that. I feel Bennett might have a similar issue in that he wants it so bad, he can't calm himself in those scoring situations - he rushes it i.e. it's a mental trap.

I mean I've seen him finish, I've seen him rocket shots top shelf so it's not that he's totally incapable. I totally understand people's issue with him not producing but I feel he's got it in him to be a significant offensive contributor but it will take a commitment by the organization to get him there (offensive linemates and PP time). Obviously he has to justify it with his play but I believe the personnel on the roster is very good and it's up to the coaches to unlock some combinations that get him (and a few guys) going.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:18 PM   #265
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The fact that Bennett could be argued as a 6-8 right now with 2g 2a is not a recommendation of Bennett. It's a condemnation of everyone after our six guys who are producing some offence. It really only underscores the fact that the top line and Tkachuk need to keep scoring, or this season's trajectory is going to crater in a hurry.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:28 PM   #266
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Bennett’s offense is like Nana’s smile when you have a flat tire, “useless” heart warming but “useless”. (Fountain Tire, 2018). I like the kid but he is not going to be our scoring saviour.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:29 PM   #267
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
True, except if Backlund doesn't shank it, Bennett gets no penalty shot.
True.

Credit Jones for the save but man, Janko has got to bury those.

Bennett seems like a guy who's in his head too much. That attempt reeked of lack of confidence. I mean, he's a guy who can dangle, don't see why he can't produce an elite deke. Really REALLY want this guy to succeed and put some pts up.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 03:44 PM   #268
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Burke's claim is that they drafted Bennett 4th overall with the expectation that he would be a bottom 6 player? Why lie if you're not going to make it even remotely plausible?
Lol that's simply a bald faced lie. Not sure Burke is even saying that.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:10 PM   #269
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
The fact that Bennett could be argued as a 6-8 right now with 2g 2a is not a recommendation of Bennett. It's a condemnation of everyone after our six guys who are producing some offence. It really only underscores the fact that the top line and Tkachuk need to keep scoring, or this season's trajectory is going to crater in a hurry.
How many teams have 8 forwards better than how Sam Bennett is playing this year though?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 04:19 PM   #270
Barca
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
How many teams have 8 forwards better than how Sam Bennett is playing this year though?
Too lazy to search other teams but to answer your question, the Canucks. lol

our 8th best forward is Roussel with 7 points in 14 games. then there is Bearchee with 6 points in 10 games but he's been out for like a month now.

4 points in 18 games is really bad tbh.

hell, even Leipsic who is trash has 3 points in 9 games.
Barca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:24 PM   #271
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barca View Post
Too lazy to search other teams but to answer your question, the Canucks. lol

our 8th best forward is Roussel with 7 points in 14 games. then there is Bearchee with 6 points in 10 games but he's been out for like a month now.

4 points in 18 games is really bad tbh.

hell, even Leipsic who is trash has 3 points in 9 games.
I don't think perusing for points on teams is the point though is it?

I mean actually have eight better forwards.

I'm certainly not suggesting Bennett isn't off to a slow start, but to trade him enough up with forward number 9 on how many teams?
Old 11-12-2018, 04:28 PM   #272
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Teams with 8 forwards with more than 4 points? I picked the red wings at random and they have 11 forwards with more than 4 points.
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:30 PM   #273
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
Teams with 8 forwards with more than 4 points? I picked the red wings at random and they have 11 forwards with more than 4 points.
I think you missed the point where he clearly says it’s not about points
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 04:51 PM   #274
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

They have value.

Frolik is shut down.
Neal is finish

Thanks for the great analysis, as always.

I really like the way Bennett has played. Many posters are being a bit short sighted as not everyone in your forward group is going to be scoring all the time. You need a 3rd line shift to build some momentum in the offensive zone once in awhile, and Bennett has done a great job of that.

I can understand the frustration when a player has been on the 'verge' for years and was a very high draft pick. But you gotta appreciate what he HAS done this year, rather than focus on what he hasn't.

I would rather see an unproductive player doing the little things right than see a high scorer floating.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:36 PM   #275
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Bennett....all the tools, no toolbox. I don't think that will change. His skill set was awesome in juniors so overcame his outright bad hockey sense, but that doesn't work in the show.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:38 PM   #276
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
But what if he played better than Rittich would have?
Rittich wouldn't have let in the 1st shot in the 1st 2 minutes. Prob changes the whole game.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #277
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Rittich wouldn't have let in the 1st shot in the 1st 2 minutes. Prob changes the whole game.

You have no way of knowing that. Smith had a decent game.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #278
David Struch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Yup, that was the game right there.
David Struch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #279
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This game was not on Smith. I am the first one to pile on him whenever he performs poorly. People need to give their heads a shake here. He made some absolutely huge games and kept the team in it. He was the mvp last night. If Rittich wouldn't have let in the first shot last night, he very well may not have saved one of those ten bell chances in the second.

Poor officiating, and lack of finish lost us the game. NOT Goaltending. Enough piling on Smith. It is not deserved. Not last night, anyway.
SmoggyFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2018, 06:13 PM   #280
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Bennett....all the tools, no toolbox. I don't think that will change. His skill set was awesome in juniors so overcame his outright bad hockey sense, but that doesn't work in the show.
It defs was working against the Canucks in the playoffs.... Albeit that was a whole ago
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote