Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #41
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post

The thing I miss most is access to the mountain Parks. It's something we all take for granted while living in Alberta, but on their own they lift up our quality of life quite a bit.
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. TO is everything you could want for a big urban city - diversity, retail, safety, transportation options, great weather, and job opportunities.

After a few years away from Calgary and living in Edmonton, I have gotten over the "close to the mountains" FOMO and don't really consider it a thing anymore. There is plenty of great hiking in Ontario and Quebec to be had. I suppose if one is a hardcore mountain person this would be a problem, but I can't see it being a "make or break" situation for most people when choosing to move away. Besides, it seems most people from Alberta tend to say BC when they want to leave the province, so they're right in the thick of the mountains at that point
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:34 AM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starseed View Post
Haha it's only to get around laws that prevent companies from shipping goods to Canada that... Haven't been approved by health Canada yet...

Otherwise Buffalo is not a great place to visit. I think the last time I went was for the Garth Brooks tour.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
I know...I was just being Cynical for comedic effect. Everyone knows Buffalo sucks. Its America's Edmonton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Kelowna is a hotspot these days. Some of the best weather in the country, fast growing, big enough to have most amenities but small enough it’s not a major city yet, tons of outdoor stuff to do, summer and winter.

It really is a great place to live and everyone here seems to love it.

But, since it’s growing at such a fast rate, traffic is becoming an issue, house prices are getting ridiculous, not TO or Vancouver bad but a SFH has probably gone up almost 50% in the last decade.

However the job market can still be somewhat limiting, depending on your industry. There’s not a lot of corporate jobs out here the way there is in a big city like Calgary. If you work in an industry that does have jobs out here and you don’t mind buying in a sellers market, then it’s a wonderful place to live.

Except the city planners were all drunk when they designed this place. I hate the layout of everything.
You couldnt make me live in Kelowna at gunpoint. I hate that City and everything it stands for.

I'll grant you that I am not really the 'Target Demographic' for living in Kelowna, and I understand that. But my son lives there and I hate even visiting him.

When the weather is good in Kelowna theres too many people. You feel like you're reliving that scene in 'Office Space' where you can watch the old man with the walker getting farther than you.

When you're where you want to be in Kelowna its great. The rest can take a hike.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:39 AM   #43
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

I've been having conversations with my daughter's Mom and her Husband about all of us moving out to Vancouver. There's a lot at play in the decision to leave Calgary where I was born and raised.

- The Film industry in Alberta is a fraction of what it is and should be. Other jurisdictions like BC, Manitoba (!), and Ontario are just kicking our butt with better tax credits.

- I have two companies, one in marketing and one based in the construction industry, and the marketing company has been affected by businesses slashing marketing budgets (the marketing company never had O&G clients for the most part). The construction based company is doing okay, but we can do it from anywhere and most requests have come from outside the province.

- I'm not a skier or hiker or mountain enthusiast so...
- I'm sick of cold winters (and falls).
- The direction the province is going, I don't see that changing anytime soon.
- I LOVE Vancouver, I've spent a lot of time there, my daughter's Mom lived there, I have some family there, my Dad lives in Kelowna...
- On the acting front, my agent is based there, but I can't really work in BC because I don't live there to be a meaningful tax credit to productions.

I love Calgary, I was born and raised here. It's sad to think about leaving, but the writing is on the wall for me personally. Business, acting, government has hit a wall - and it's become a depressing and more challenging place to stay in. Nothing is finalized yet, but I'm ready to move on.
Old 10-22-2020, 10:40 AM   #44
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I used to hate it in Kelowna but don’t tell anyone who lives here that. They love it here, like really love it. More than any place I’ve ever been. The lifers and the transplants.

Everyone I meet is from somewhere else. It reminds me of Calgary 20 years ago. It’s like everyone just moved here last week.

I have to say, wearing shorts and having beautiful spring/summer/fall weather while people are complaining about cold and snow tires is a great boost.

And no one seems to mind the tourists. It’s a source of pride for the residents here on how awesome their city is. Dontcha wish your city was this good? Seems to be the general sentiment.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:43 AM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I used to hate it in Kelowna but don’t tell anyone who lives here that. They love it here, like really love it. More than any place I’ve ever been. The lifers and the transplants.

Everyone I meet is from somewhere else. It reminds me of Calgary 20 years ago. It’s like everyone just moved here last week.

I have to say, wearing shorts and having beautiful spring/summer/fall weather while people are complaining about cold and snow tires is a great boost.

And no one seems to mind the tourists. It’s a source of pride for the residents here on how awesome their city is. Dontcha wish your city was this good? Seems to be the general sentiment.
I'm glad that my City didnt get a crap-ton of traffic lights at some sort of Bargain-Basement discount store and then feel compelled to use them all immediately.

Kelowna reminds me of a badly designed strip-mall.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 10:54 AM   #46
starseed
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh yeah, I forgot about the weather. I've become accustomed to the warmer weather and four seasons in Toronto. Last time I went to Alberta in mid-fall (October or November?) I was shocked that the trees were already bare. I don't mind brown Christmases!

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
starseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #47
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have advice on living in Yukon?

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 10:57 AM   #48
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppet Guy View Post
Anyone have advice on living in Yukon?
Invest in Sunglasses and one of those Headlamps that Miners wear?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 11:04 AM   #49
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

I love this city and this province. I've travelled all over the world, and this has always felt like home.

Unfortunately, it feels like many people would rather bolt, then work to get this province back to where we know it is capable of. I'm not talking about waiting for a turn in commodity prices and a return to the "Boom" times either.

We continue to have the youngest demographics in the country, are well educated, and Calgary is still considered one of the most livable cities in the world. I also truly believe we have the hardest working population in the country. (Roll up the sleeves types). I've weighed living in Victoria, Kelowna, Vancouver and TO and in all cases after extensive research have stayed put.

I do hate the whiplash between NDP and UCP. Would love to see a government right in between both parties.

I'm not discouraging anyone from moving, times are tough and if you need work, you have to do what you need to. Just hate to see this city where it is today.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 11:08 AM   #50
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I grew up in Ontario, I'll take Calgary all day, thank you very much.

More to the point though, the grass always looks greener elsewhere, but you eventually realize it isn't. The old saying 'no matter where you go, there you are' rings true for me. The path to happiness is enjoying where you are.
I prefer "The grass is greener where you water it."

That's not to say the grass isn't green somewhere else too but if you take ownership in your grass it'll flourish no matter where you live.

That said, sometimes I look outside and see dead grass and wonder if I should move somewhere with grass...
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kevman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:04 PM   #51
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've lived here almost half my life, celebrated my move-to anniversary this month. I remember when I decided I was going to spend my adulthood here. I was 12, we drove through on our way to Banff for a ski trip.

I like the closeness to the mountains. Live NHL hockey was a draw, too, after growing up 8 hours north of here. The economy is not great at the moment. I like the weather. I doesn't really get cold here like it did where I grew up. Chinooks... fantastic. Camping, Biking, hiking, skiing..... I love all of it.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:06 PM   #52
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
I love this city and this province. I've travelled all over the world, and this has always felt like home.

Unfortunately, it feels like many people would rather bolt, then work to get this province back to where we know it is capable of. I'm not talking about waiting for a turn in commodity prices and a return to the "Boom" times either.

We continue to have the youngest demographics in the country, are well educated, and Calgary is still considered one of the most livable cities in the world. I also truly believe we have the hardest working population in the country. (Roll up the sleeves types). I've weighed living in Victoria, Kelowna, Vancouver and TO and in all cases after extensive research have stayed put.

I do hate the whiplash between NDP and UCP. Would love to see a government right in between both parties.

I'm not discouraging anyone from moving, times are tough and if you need work, you have to do what you need to. Just hate to see this city where it is today.
Agree with the sentiment of this post here. Alberta has it's warts, and not at it's best right now, but doesn't mean we don't have the ability to fix and address them. As a young guy still with no real responsibilities and anchors, I have more freedom to move around as I please, but also have less factors that may encourage me to leave also.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:27 PM   #53
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Maybe you should run for office?

That sentiment is what any place needs in order to thrive and be resilient. It's the sort of sentiment that builds community when broadly shared.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:31 PM   #54
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:

There's nothing wrong with Calgary - in fact, it's one of the greatest cities in the world. Hands down.

I tend to think that "when you know, you know". Life is too short to spend it in one place if your heart is telling you to do otherwise. There is a sense of adventure to it - at least for me. That can never be replaced or dislodged. There is always a fear in moving, but the excitement of trying something new is an intoxicating effect.

Someone said "the grass isn't always greener" in this thread. Can that apply to spending a lifetime in Calgary, leaving, then coming back because you miss home but once you're there you long to leave again?
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 12:56 PM   #55
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Can that apply to spending a lifetime in Calgary, leaving, then coming back because you miss home but once you're there you long to leave again?
Part of why I'm very torn up about potentially having to move is that I have lived a decade in Toronto and worked for long periods in cities in a variety of places across North America and a couple in Asia, so I have sampled a lot of grass (no, not that kind). Pittsburgh was an eye-opener, economically. If comparing Calgary to Detroit comes off as extreme, I genuinely worry we could be like Pittsburgh at the beginning of its prolonged economic slump. In fact I think I saw an article a couple years ago that our city hall was consulting with their city hall around learning lessons from their recent revitalization.

It's more in my nature as a born and raised Calgarian to want to stay and be a part of the solution, but I have family perspectives in that regard to consider, the raw math of household financials & opportunity cost/alternative scenarios, and the fact that even if I did stay and do everything I can to fix things up I'm one person. It seems like there's a decent likelihood doing so would be futile at this point.

Last edited by RoadGame; 10-22-2020 at 12:59 PM.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 01:10 PM   #56
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Calgary the city. I just really, really hate the weather otherwise I find it the perfect sized city that's just big enough to have a professional sports team but doesn't have the abysmal traffic of cities like Toronto and Vancouver. It's also super clean relative to most cities which I like. I have travelled around Canada and really don't care for most of it outside of Vancouver Island and Penticton. There's just something about Kelowna that I don't like that I can't put my finger on.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #57
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have pretty much an open job offer in Toronto, the last thing I want to do is move away from my extended family, or buy property in Toronto, but all I can say is if they come for my CPP, I'm out of here.

The last thing I need to some right wing ideolog clawing back all of our pension assets from Canada to invest them in some failing pipeline companies.

Luckily with yesterdays reports, my kids aren't in gr1 anymore either. But teaching bible scripture to my kids could be a serious concern too (I might make an exception for this one if it were in the context of comparative religion (and I don't mean Islam or Judism, they are the same thing, I mean Hinduism/Buddhism/Grecko-Roman Polytheism/Pegan Earth Worship), I do think its very useful for my kids to contextualize what they hear about current practices with other myths from the past).
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:18 PM   #58
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... you are moving to Toronto?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 05:33 PM   #59
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I love Calgary the city. I just really, really hate the weather otherwise I find it the perfect sized city that's just big enough to have a professional sports team but doesn't have the abysmal traffic of cities like Toronto and Vancouver. It's also super clean relative to most cities which I like. I have travelled around Canada and really don't care for most of it outside of Vancouver Island and Penticton. There's just something about Kelowna that I don't like that I can't put my finger on.
Yeah, I'm not a fan of Kelowna either, but the southern end of the valley is great. I've thought a fair bit about moving to Penticton. My wife is working in Vancouver now, but we spent about six months in Penticton this year and I expect if there's any place we're going to set up a long-term Canadian base it will be in or around Penticton.

Calgary actually has a lot to like, but it's a place I would only want to live for a few months out of the year. It's among the better Canadian locations that I have experience of though. The landscapes are beautiful and I certainly appreciate the honest and hard-working culture there. The thing is, Canada is basically a nation made up of small outposts on the northern edges of human civilization. If you're not into that, Canada's not the place to be.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 10-22-2020, 05:51 PM   #60
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

The amount of progress that Kenney has made towards destroying this province the past 18 months is impressive and he still has the rest of his term to do even more long-term damage. Combined with the federal government's position on resource development, it's hard to see a good future for Calgary.

Born and raised in Calgary, but I'm ready to move to Toronto and would like to move while I'm young enough to integrate into a new city and have a support network there (my extended family in the GTA is starting to get old). The only question mark is my wife, who isn't quite sold on the idea of moving there until she finishes her MBA and/or is laid off.

Calgary is a decent city, but it's a tall ask to wait a couple decades for things to turn around.
boogerz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to boogerz For This Useful Post: