Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-24-2020, 11:18 AM   #141
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Toronto requires an air conditioned life from June to September, horrible humidity and heat. There is no leg up. Vancouver I agree, but the November rain is horrid.
I usually love the autumn rain here, but they may change this year with Covid. No late night rainy trips to bars or shows.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:53 PM   #142
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I've found that culture is a much more important factor for quality of life and it may be THE most important factor. However, not only is it difficult to quantify (unlike weather) and it's almost impossible to really 'know' a culture until you're in it, but it very much depends on personal preference. For instance, living in the US Bible Belt would be a nightmare for me but for a very Christian, conservative (and likely white) person it could be right up their alley.
And the most concrete aspect of culture in our day-to-day lives is civility. I was reminded of that when I walked through several neighbourhood walkways today. They had all been shoveled by the people who lived nearby, even though they're public property, and all lengthy.

People helping to push cars out of snow, picking up after their dogs, yielding to pedestrians, mowing an elderly neighbour's lawn, volunteering at a community association BBQ, letting shoppers with a handful of items go through checkout ahead of them - this is the real nuts and bolts stuff of civility and social cohesion. And I'd wager it has more of an impact on most people than political ideology.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2020, 05:17 PM   #143
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
If you can do the work from small town Canada, you can do the work from India as well. The remote work will not be a long term trend. Post covid customer facing roles will go back to customer facing and the remote jobs will be off shored or automated.

Just wanted to note that before everyone buys a house in Nelson.
Yeah but you dont get the same service. People pay a premium on " Canadian Nice".
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #144
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
If you can do the work from small town Canada, you can do the work from India as well. The remote work will not be a long term trend. Post covid customer facing roles will go back to customer facing and the remote jobs will be off shored or automated.

Just wanted to note that before everyone buys a house in Nelson.
I get this sentiment on a micro scale, but on a macro scale this is kind of the same erroneous thinking as the fear of automation. There are lots of corruptions and inefficiencies in our economies, but overall the purpose of a countries economy is to allocate it's resources amongst it's population. Generally speaking over a period of time the economy should backfill with jobs that will employ enough people to distribute it's wealth.

I know I've argued allot against the current iteration of conservative economics on this board, and ridiculed the idea of the invisible hand. But that is more in the context of needing strong government regulation to prevent capital from accruing and concentrating in a way that stymies opportunity.

In the concept of job creation, if you are skilled worker in a wealthy nation, you will generally have the opportunity to earn a good living, we just might have to get used to the context of those jobs shifting over time.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 01:34 PM   #145
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I usually love the autumn rain here, but they may change this year with Covid. No late night rainy trips to bars or shows.
I'm worried about this for winter in Calgary this year. Going out on a snowy night and hopping from place to place to grab a drink is awesome. Walking around the neighborhood is fun and all, but it's all I've been doing since March.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 07:03 PM   #146
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
I'm worried about this for winter in Calgary this year. Going out on a snowy night and hopping from place to place to grab a drink is awesome. Walking around the neighborhood is fun and all, but it's all I've been doing since March.
Yeah, this is going to be a boring ass winter, I hear you.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 08:55 PM   #147
JR449
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I been out of work since March as well. Lets get drinks :P Everyday.
JR449 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JR449 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2020, 10:13 PM   #148
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I thought last winter was going to be the Long Winter of Our Discontent but at least every day was a bit of a rollercoaster ride as we waded through a pandemic and everything it brought with it.

This winter is going to suuuuuuck.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 12:52 PM   #149
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've vistited every major Canadian city and lived in Calgary & Vancouver. I've also visited 30+ States, and I lived in Southern California for a while.

Hands down, flat out, the best place on Earth to live is SoCal. You're not crowded like the Eastern cities are, there's tons to do, you got beaches, you got San Diego, you got everything. Then there is the weather. It's literally the best. It's not too hot like Vegas or Phoenix, and it's as consistent as you could want. I remember texting my parents in Calgary from my pool on Dec 25th. Yeah, people bitch about the traffic there, but it's honestly worse in Vancouver with their one highway.

My family and friends are in Calgary. And as fantastic as SoCal was, I can't imagine having my kids in a city where I didn't have either my parents or my wife's parents. So for me, I can make any city work as long as I have my social connections.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2020, 12:59 PM   #150
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who think they'll be able to live in a small town and work remotely are setting themselves up for disappointment. Companies will be more tolerant of people working from home going forward, but most are still going to expect workers to be in the main office, working-face-to-face with colleagues, 1-2 days a week. I just had a recruiter tell me she's had to turn away people who reside out of city from applying for positions for that very reason.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:00 PM   #151
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don’t know about SoCal, there are other problems there. We know of many families that went there and ran into issues with kids. Not climate related.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 10-26-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:02 PM   #152
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yah I don't think SoCal would be high on my list to live. Maybe if I had millions, but otherwise not a chance.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:13 PM   #153
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ I don't have millions, and you sacrifice some space of course, but there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in LA county, Orange County, San Bernardino, etc where you can get decent semi-detached homes for 300-500K. In fact, I didn't even desire to live in LA proper with the obvious problems that come with a megalopolis like that.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:17 PM   #154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
^^ I don't have millions, and you sacrifice some space of course, but there are plenty of nice neighborhoods in LA county, Orange County, San Bernardino, etc where you can get decent semi-detached homes for 300-500K. In fact, I didn't even desire to live in LA proper with the obvious problems that come with a megalopolis like that.
Ah yes....but lets not forget the Property Taxes!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:36 PM   #155
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

SoCal is awesome, but the taxes and the non-stop regulation of every little thing in your life is probably pretty frustrating.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:43 PM   #156
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Yea, but if you move you would want to live near AV, Newport Beach, Dayna Point, or north like SB, Santa Monica and places like that. It gets hot as you move inland.

That being said I am in an age where Palm Springs would be appealing. On a positive note I have had friends really rave about is how reasonable the fees are for state colleges if you are a California resident. One my friends put three kids through UCLA at a very reasonable rate.

Last edited by Flamenspiel; 10-26-2020 at 01:48 PM.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 01:59 PM   #157
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yea, but if you move you would want to live near AV, Newport Beach, Dayna Point, or north like SB, Santa Monica and places like that. It gets hot as you move inland.

That being said I am in an age where Palm Springs would be appealing. On a positive note I have had friends really rave about is how reasonable the fees are for state colleges if you are a California resident. One my friends put three kids through UCLA at a very reasonable rate.
I'm not an expert on costs for American university's but I always thought in-state schools were always decently priced. A cousin in Texas was taking the same program as me at Texas and I recall the costs being similar.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 03:09 PM   #158
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

This thread is depressing me as I'm building a house in Sherwood Park after living 20 minutes south of Nelson for 12 years (Calgary for 18 before that).

I love the Kootenays and all it has to offer but there is nowhere near the opportunity that there is in Calgary or Edmonton. Vancouver would be an alternative but I have no desire to live on the coast and after 12 years I can definitively say, on average, I prefer your average Albertan to your average British Columbian
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2020, 09:17 AM   #159
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

I left Calgary in 1999 for Southern California and absolutely love it here. Yeah, it is expensive and traffic can be a bitch, but if i want to surf I put on my wetsuit and I am in the water in 5 minutes. Even with the current political/social issues in this country, my wife and I discussed moving for about 5 minutes until we realized there is no where else we would rather live. Now we don't have kids, so I can understand why those with families would not want to live here
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #160
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Yah I don't think SoCal would be high on my list to live. Maybe if I had millions, but otherwise not a chance.
I lived in SoCal for a couple of years. Yes you get less house for your money but you live outside 12 months of the year. Our back patio doors were always open and were outside all the time. It was a pretty good lifestyle.

But I hear you, living in California doesn't come without it's issues too.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote