Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-04-2019, 10:18 PM   #21
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, Kaepernick had an elite 49ers defense so he never had to win games by himself. And he really only looked like a HOFer against the Packers. Mahomes had a terrible KC defense and was a coin flip away from probably winning the Super Bowl. Mahomes arm talent is as good as we've ever seen, and he has Andy Reid coaching him who is an elite QB coach/developer. Scary thing really is he has so much room to improve, he's still only started 19 games.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #22
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
No, Kaepernick had an elite 49ers defense so he never had to win games by himself. And he really only looked like a HOFer against the Packers. Mahomes had a terrible KC defense and was a coin flip away from probably winning the Super Bowl. Mahomes arm talent is as good as we've ever seen, and he has Andy Reid coaching him who is an elite QB coach/developer. Scary thing really is he has so much room to improve, he's still only started 19 games.
Hopefully (in a "general humanity" sense, as I don't care about the Chiefs and cheer for the Dolphins), Mahomes does not turn out to be this era's Dan Marino - the greatest QB to never have a defense or a running game. Obviously, a different style of player.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 12:42 PM   #23
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully he doesn't tear his ACL playing basketball either, which of course he looks like a natural at.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1092652666470236160
Old 02-05-2019, 01:21 PM   #24
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Doesn't the hype remind you of Kapernick a bit?

He looked like a world beater and the DCs adjusted.

That is the point I'm making.
I think the two are in no way comparable. Kaepernick was a lot more like RGIII where his ability to run for yards was a huge part of his game. He needed a RPO heavy offensive scheme. He never was much of a pocket passer despite the fact that he does have a pretty strong arm.

I also think the coaching instability also worked against him as well. I also think that talent wise, he's still a viable NFL QB, and in the right situation still could do something.

Mahomes is a guy who can stand in the pocket, and go thru progressions and when he has to escape has an uncanny ability to still look down field which is probably the number 1 differentiator for Quarter Backs. Baker Mayfield is another guy who does this really well for a young QB. A guy like Trubiski will pull the ball down and run for 8-10 yards, but not see the 25 yard open pass. RGIII or Kapernick would pull the ball down and run too, often for better gains.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:26 PM   #25
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...e-not-arrested
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 01:48 PM   #26
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was trying to draw a parallel between how 'disruptive' they were at the QB position and that given time the DCs adapt.
Old 02-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #27
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adapting to a guy who can throw from unheard of angles is not really possible. Maybe his arm talent fades eventually, but as long as he can sling it like he can you just can't do much except hope he has a bad day. He'll be like any QB, pressure him, take away time and he's just not as good, but as I said sometimes you can defend perfectly and his talent just beats you. For the Chiefs they can spend all of their draft capital now on defense and with even an average defense he can take a step back and they'll still be better. As we also saw this year he was very clutch, so games like what we saw Sunday where he just needs to produce in the clutch even not having a good day makes it easier for him and their team. Just gotta draft well now.
Old 02-05-2019, 03:08 PM   #28
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I'm going out on a limb here predicting he doesn't throw 50 TD's next season. Their offense wasn't quite as explosive without Hunt and defenses will adjust. I think he's a much more gifted passer than RG3 and Kaepernick so I don't see him going from MVP to mediocre overnight as he will still be very good next season. That said he was very lucky not to be picked off a lot more than he was and he's going to get burned eventually on a lot of those throws across his body and no look passes.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2019, 05:16 PM   #29
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't think I'm going out on a limb here predicting he doesn't throw 50 TD's next season. Their offense wasn't quite as explosive without Hunt and defenses will adjust. I think he's a much more gifted passer than RG3 and Kaepernick so I don't see him going from MVP to mediocre overnight as he will still be very good next season. That said he was very lucky not to be picked off a lot more than he was and he's going to get burned eventually on a lot of those throws across his body and no look passes.
in fairness, a lot of these picks are likely the result of always needing to score points to cover up for that horrible D. i dont see him falling off a cliff like RG3 or CK
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 06:54 PM   #30
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I do believe that a DC somewhere in the league will 'figure' Mahomes out next season. Either his passing progression or his tendencies when he's hurried, etc.

I think that is what he's getting at.
Probably had some influence in Vic Fangio going to Denver. Tasking the leagues best DC with stopping the leagues best O
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:01 AM   #31
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Doesn't the hype remind you of Kapernick a bit?

He looked like a world beater and the DCs adjusted.

That is the point I'm making.
Football only opinion on Colin...

When he was great, he was damn great. I remember thinking this is the time SF goes from dungbowl to Superbowl, great arm, seemed accurate, and could run. I thought the reason he fell off the cliff was coaching changes, now maybe the system and defence helped alot but it sure did seem like he was destined for greatness. Didnt a new coach come in and try to put in a more old school style office which doesnt play off the run and gun, bootleg, qb run style that suits CK? This I assume demoralized him and he started to pout when he didnt have the same success in the new system and then things went downhill to where we are today.

As for the Mahomes comparisons, I think he is a much better passer and probably has more longevity in the leage, CK probably had a short life span in the NFL and I wouldnt say the KC defence was terrible. Mahomes and KC didnt score in the first half against a mid rated regular season defence, thats not the KC defence problem.

I like comparing Mahomes to Elway more than CK. When he was young Elway was a serviceable runner but excellent passer. This will be a good year to see what Mahomes is made off, if you have an top flight corner and play man on the best player with double coverage on the second best and force him to look to his 3rd or 4th option, if he still has success then he is more than a system qb and turns into a qb who will have real longevity.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #32
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like Kyler Murray is committing to Football according to twitter.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2019, 12:02 PM   #33
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup, A's fans are losing it lol
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:59 PM   #34
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Sounds like Kyler Murray is committing to Football according to twitter.
He's short, small hands, narrow shoulders, etc. His journey will be intriguing but I imagine he will end up in baseball in 3-4 years time as I don't see him lasting in the NFL.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #35
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Browns sign Kareem Hunt: ‘We believe he deserves a second chance’

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/201...cart_big-photo

or, "we believe the ends justify the means"
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #36
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

sickening, but not surprising. This league never learns.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:12 PM   #37
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does what Kareem Hunt done deserve a life time “ban” for football? I’m not so sure. I’m sure he will be suspended 6-8 games to start the season.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #38
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's not in jail and he's top five at his position, of course he gets to play. Remember we spent a week after the Super Bowl hearing that Edelman has a HOF case in the same year he was suspended for PEDs. When it comes to letting #### slide, NFL fans are certainly at the top of the list.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 AM   #39
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Bob Costas, unplugged: From NBC and broadcast icon to dropped from the Super Bowl

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_...tball-nbc-espn

Quote:
With his 28 Emmys and eight National Sportscaster of the Year awards, Costas had become the most-respected broadcaster of his generation -- a kind of Walter Cronkite for sports. He believed it was his responsibility to address uncomfortable truths, or "elephants in the room," as he often called them.

The release of "Concussion" seemed a natural topic given the nationwide awakening about head trauma in contact sports, especially the NFL. Costas believed it was important to have viewers confront football's existential crisis and consider their own moral dilemma as fans complicit to the sport's carnage.

Yet he recognized such a speech posed a challenge for his bosses and NBC. The network was paying the NFL billions to air games on Sunday nights. Even more, Costas knew NBC executives were hoping to expand the network's NFL package to Thursdays.

Costas sent the essay to his bosses for approval, something he typically did not do -- and waited.

What would ensue that week -- and in the years that followed -- reveals for the first time how a broadcasting icon went from fronting America's most popular sport to being excised from last year's Super Bowl and, ultimately, ending his nearly 40-year career with NBC.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2019, 10:34 AM   #40
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Colour me surprised at the Murray move. I was sure he’d go back to baseball with more money. He must have chiropractors stretching out his spine so he can measure in at 5’10” as we speak. I wonder if he tries some behind the scenes “don’t draft me or I’ll go to baseball” for a team he wants to avoid. Wouldn’t be a bad idea.

He hired Kingsbury’s agent now too. Rumours of the Cards quietly looking to move Rosen and take Murray. That would be wild.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote