Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-14-2014, 07:31 PM   #21
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going to be some booming crowds I imagine for the playoffs if the announcement is that the team is leaving.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 07:34 PM   #22
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The AHL is always in flux. I could see a lot happening.

The AHL Chicago Wolves owner Don Levin desperately wants an NHL team. He has been poking at Seattle but he won't win out to Balmer and the NBA guy.

The Islanders are on the market prior to the Brooklyn move. The Bridgeport Sound Tigers are owned by Wang and the Islanders. If the Levin is somehow involved in NHL Brooklyn he wont need to own two AHL teams. I wouldn't be surprised if the Blackhawks push for Levin to get out of their market and give up Chicago instead of Bridgeport. Chicago is so profitable for Levin that I would think even though geography is to his disadvantage, the Sound Tigers would be his choice as the odd man out in that equation. Either way, one of those franchises would be on the market.

The Columbus Blue Jackets are hooked up with Springfield of the AHL, a privately owned franchise that has threatened to fold at least 5 times in the last 15 years unless season ticket goals were met. The CBJ's steward into the NHL died. Not sure how dedicated the son is. Either way a new CBJ owner or current owner could see the Sound Tigers as a much more exciting option than Springfield.

Albany and the Devils is just a process of elimination relationship. The Devils have about as much loyalty as the Flames do. Utica, Springfield, Albany and anyone else who will give them a $1 better deal is where they will end up.

Glens Falls is just ridiculous. If they don't find an AHL team they are talking about mothballing or selling an arena they just put new seats and upgrades in. They got burnt by the UHL and killed AA hockey in that market forever.

I also don't get the argument for a flying team not being able to practice. It seems like sitting on a bus for 13 hours and skating on 2 hours of sleep is not better than flying for 2 hours, sleeping for 8 and then practicing.
Athntk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Athntk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #23
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreDrank View Post
I hope the Heat go on a deep run for PMM's sake. Seriously one of my favourite CP posters and twitter follows.
Yeah hoping the Heat win the Calder cup, and PMM gets to party in the locker room during the celebration.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2014, 07:43 PM   #24
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

If the relocation does happen will be interesting to see how long the Glen Falls contract is for.

If the rumours of the AHL pacific division forming up soon are true, then I would imagine the move would be pretty short term.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:57 PM   #25
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Interesting to see AbbotsfordCanucks.com was registered weeks before UticaComets.com I'm wondering how close it was last year.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:16 PM   #26
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would have been interesting to see if there was a difference if we hadn't tried to ram a Flames themed team into Canucks territory. Not being Canucks prospects is definitely a hurdle, the Flames shouldn't have compounded it. It was arrogant.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #27
Athntk
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Would have been interesting to see if there was a difference if we hadn't tried to ram a Flames themed team into Canucks territory. Not being Canucks prospects is definitely a hurdle, the Flames shouldn't have compounded it. It was arrogant.
Flames would have been fools not to take the contract Abbotsford offered. From a historical stand point Abbotsfords arena was one of the last "if you build it, they will come" little city big dreams arenas. Dawson Creek has one as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Athntk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #28
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Hearing a WHL team (lethbridge or Kootenay?) may be moving to Abbotsford with the Heat out.

The utica situation seems trickey on how the Canucks could get out of that deal quickly.

Arpan ‏@rum0r1 13m
@botchford ya heard that bit but you think comets inevitably move to Abby or is city going to pursue diff team

Jason Botchford ‏@botchford 11m
@rum0r1 maybe one day, locked into Utica for now
The rumour out of Lethbridge was that the Ice were moving there and the Lethbridge team was going to Winnipeg. Could be all wishful thinking on Lethbridge's part though. It will be interesting how it unfolds but I hope Abbotsford isn't left in the lurch. The Ice are a well run franchise and there would be some continuity for PMM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #29
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The rumour out of Lethbridge was that the Ice were moving there and the Lethbridge team was going to Winnipeg. Could be all wishful thinking on Lethbridge's part though. It will be interesting how it unfolds but I hope Abbotsford isn't left in the lurch. The Ice are a well run franchise and there would be some continuity for PMM.
If the Ice come to Abbotsford, I'll #### my pants with excitement.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2014, 10:32 PM   #30
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Perhaps in poor taste, but I wonder how long after the relocation announcement (should that be the news, but looks like it) the Heat jerseys will start going on sale/clearance?

NEED to get my hands on one of those red beauties for the collection before they disappear. Would love to be wearing that at prospect camp next year and see if I can't get a Reinhart and Orts signature on it.
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:39 PM   #31
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Perhaps in poor taste, but I wonder how long after the relocation announcement (should that be the news, but looks like it) the Heat jerseys will start going on sale/clearance?

NEED to get my hands on one of those red beauties for the collection before they disappear. Would love to be wearing that at prospect camp next year and see if I can't get a Reinhart and Orts signature on it.
Didn't Quad Cities ones go on sale on AHL.com several months later?
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 10:41 PM   #32
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure. I had a hate for Quad Cities for a number of reasons and never wanted one of those jerseys.

I still actually twitch when I hear that name.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:20 PM   #33
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure. I had a hate for Quad Cities for a number of reasons and never wanted one of those jerseys.

I still actually twitch when I hear that name.
the logo was so hideous, unlike it's predecessor which was all kinds of sexy

Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2014, 11:22 PM   #34
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
If they do move to Glens Falls, I hope they go with the Adirondack Flames name and use the Atlanta Flaming A as their logo.
I hoped for the same thing with the Heat, but maybe this time they will get it.

I say keep it traditional. Atlanta Flames jerseys, all numbers 35 or under
Old 04-14-2014, 11:53 PM   #35
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grant Pollack on Global News just reported that the City of Abbotsford is supposedly buying out the Heat as the costs were less to buy them out then they were to keep the team.

Ouch.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:44 AM   #36
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Grant Pollack on Global News just reported that the City of Abbotsford is supposedly buying out the Heat as the costs were less to buy them out then they were to keep the team.

Ouch.
So they are more or less paying our operating losses in a new location?

The sad part is the city would still have the team and would not be losing money hand over fist if the people just gone to the games! Seriously tickets were cheap and they were going to be either paying for the team whether it be through ticket sales or through taxes, why not at least get some entertainment out of the deal?

It's truly a shame they were Canucks fans and not hockey fans.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 01:00 AM   #37
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

You sort of get an idea of how bad it must be when you think of it this way: They are willing to throw more money at something already bleeding them out money because that actually is the best solution.

Again, if this is the case, I'm really curious to see what the numbers are for the buyout. The original deal guaranteed the Heat $5.7 each year, and then over the last 4 years the tax payers of Abbotsford paid an additional $5.24M. Abbotsford has already put probably close to $35M ($5.7 x 5 plus $5.24M plus $1.3 (estimated based on previous years) for losses this year) into the team. The deal after 10 years would probably run them about $70M, assuming attendance didn't pick up and losses continued as they have over the last 5 years, so what would be the magic number to make it all go away. Because really, for Calgary this was a sweet deal and I'm sure any buyout clause would be generous to them, not Abbotsford.

I agree though. Probably too many Canuck fans hung up on it being "Calgary's Team" rather then it being good hockey. If you look on Abbotsford's ticket page, any suites or packages for Utica games were actually marked up in price over other teams because of more interest from locals. It was far too much of the mindset of being Flames in Canucks territory. Which is a shame, Abbotsford was a good team this year with entertaining hockey and if people could get over the mindset, I think they would have done well.

Last edited by Drury18; 04-15-2014 at 01:03 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 02:31 AM   #38
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

All of what you say is true, and it's a shame

But let me ask you this: If the Canucks farm team relocates to Abbotsford would you go to games to watch pro hockey without paying the ridiculous prices at Roger's Arena?

I for sure would not. Mind you, I have an pathological loathing of that organization, whereas I'd guess your average Abbotsfordian suffers from mere disinterest.

The Flames probably knew attendance would never be great but decided to take the sweetheart deal and close proximity and make hay while the sun shines.
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:25 AM   #39
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The original deal guaranteed the Heat $5.7 each year, and then over the last 4 years the tax payers of Abbotsford paid an additional $5.24M. Abbotsford has already put probably close to $35M ($5.7 x 5 plus $5.24M
no, the $5.7M is the guaranteed revenue target for each season. The city pays the Heat the shortfall, which is the $5.24M total over the past 4 years. The Heat don't get $5.7M per year plus the $5.24M
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canada 02 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #40
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Dan Kinvig @DanKinvig
Ryan Walter tells me #AHLHeat are indeed leaving.