Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2021, 02:04 PM   #61
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
If they want Lindholm at centre they need to change the roster with a trade so that all the pieces fit.
I’m still annoyed they never tried Dube with Monahan and Gaudreau - they literally tried everyone else. But yes, the Monahan line is just too weak without a good two way RW.

The biggest problem with today’s lineup is you have a 3rd line that’s a little suspect defensively - it’s more like a good 4th line, and your 4th line is almost useless. Add Ryan to line 4 and it’s more comfortable.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #62
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Some of you may hate Lucic but man is he a real good dude. Could have unloaded on the Sens guy during the fight but totally held back when he knew he had no chance.

I don't hate Lucic, I just hate his contract. If you look through my post history you can probably find posts from the summer that he signed with Edmonton about wanting Lucic in Calgary but knowing he was going to get a stupid contract.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #63
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowlord View Post
Does the Lindholm at Centre experiment end?

Ward's still finding a way to use that fancy new line blender he just bought after his promotion to head coach.

IMO it should. Not because of anything bad on Lindholms part but for the betterment of the overall balance of the FW group.

It's good to know Lindholm can excel at center if needed but really when your top 3 lines mesh so well how can fiddle and tinker any longer. It's a sprint season and they already wasted enough time figuring out if these new combos worked.

For better or worse, these 3 lines are the optimal mixture for a greater chance at success. Barring injury they should stay this way.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #64
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
It's odd how with guns like those, Monahan can only fight Nugent Hopkins to a draw.

Good game, now back to the gym everybody.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #65
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I hope the Bennett top line experiment is over. Guy is a bottom 6 forward and that’s not going to change. He’s an entitled Josh Jooris as far as I’m concerned.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #66
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Connor Brown right now...

Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Redrum For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 02:06 PM   #67
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's official, winning > losing.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #68
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I hope the Bennett top line experiment is over. Guy is a bottom 6 forward and that’s not going to change. He’s an entitled Josh Jooris as far as I’m concerned.
Well, I mean - with Lindholm back to playing where he should be playing, Bennett is back to #3C which is about right where he should be.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #69
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
Also Ryan is looking close to returning to centre the 4th line, which will be a big upgrade. Until the team gets another top 6 RW, these are the best combinations. You can’t play someone who is barely a 4th line player with Monahan and Gaudreau and expect them to succeed. You may as well be playing them shorthanded with no RW, whoever is playing against that line can completely ignore the RW and just double-team Johnny.
The return of Derek Ryan will also help the PK, which was... oof. 3 for 6 in today's game.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:07 PM   #70
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
It's odd how with guns like those, Monahan can only fight Nugent Hopkins to a draw.

Good game, now back to the gym everybody.
Monahan had RNH’s number until RNH scrambled away and then started flailing like a weed eater. He’s shouldn’t have lost his grip.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #71
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He’s far better as a centre than on RW, his style is not at all suited to playing the off wing.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:09 PM   #72
shadowlord
First Line Centre

Exp:

Steinberg on Fan960 just played a pre-game clip from Ward:

- He always knew that the playoff/bubble lines worked and had it available as a backup.
- The new lines were just starting to gel prior to Monahan's injury; but injuries happened and he had to bring the blender out.
shadowlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:10 PM   #73
minnow
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
The return of Derek Ryan will also help the PK, which was... oof. 3 for 6 in today's game.
Yet all those kills against the Leafs. 11 straight?
Old 02-27-2021, 02:10 PM   #74
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
He’s far better as a centre than on RW, his style is not at all suited to playing the off wing.
As a C it gives him more guys to not pass to.

I kid, I kid.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #75
Redrum
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Geoff?
Redrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:12 PM   #76
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Shorty though. If you come out of a PK with the same margin in the game, it’s sort of like a kill.

They let too many shots through, and Rittich was not terrific on a couple of the goals.
Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #77
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Lot's of positives. Gio looked pretty good, even with the flubbed passes. Ras was great.

Noticed they carried the play up the middle much more and used both sides of the ice to break out. Is it because the new lines or did the coach adjust? Either way, offensive breakouts and zone entries were much better, gained a lot more room for the D to pinch.

Ritter struggled a bit. Hopefully Markstrom is back soon.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #78
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

- He always knew that the playoff/bubble lines worked and had it available as a backup.
- The new lines were just starting to gel prior to Monahan's injury; but injuries happened and he had to bring the blender out.
LOL the blender came out long before Monahan’s injury, and I saw nothing after Monahan returned to suggest that the new line combos were getting any better; if anything, they appeared to be getting progressively worse.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #79
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

- He always knew that the playoff/bubble lines worked and had it available as a backup..
LOL. Let's lose to the Oilers twice in shockingly embarrassing fashion and then to the Sens 5 days later, but let's wait to use lines that are proven to work until ????
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 02:13 PM   #80
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I suppose 1/4 of a season might have been the plan for the Lindholm as C experiment all along. If you reverted too quickly you’d be accused of a knee jerk reaction to a guy getting used to full time C.