Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #161
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
Is that a fact? Every single year people say stuff like this and every year there are players picked after the supposed ledge that are better than the ones within it. The difference between 6th and 11th is the worse odds that you have noted for the lottery and then it's a difference between two unknowns. The consternation about this is overblown. We've all seen how drafts play out and acting like this is a certain catastrophe because of a few spots is absurd.

6. Moritz Seider (also taken before 12th: Dylan Cozens, Trevor Zegras, Vasily Podkolzin)
12. Matthew Boldy (also available: Spencer Knight, Cole Caulfield, Alex Newhook)

6. Filip Zadina (Quinn Hughes, Vitali Kravtsov, Evan Bouchard)
12. Noah Dobson (Joel Farabee, Rasmus Sandin, K'Andre Miller)

6. Cody Glass (Casey Mittelstadt, Owen Tippett, Gabriel Vilardi)
12. Martin Necas (Nick Suzuki, Josh Norris, Robert Thomas)

6. Matthew Tkachuk (Clayton Keller, Mikahil Sergachev, Tyson Jost)
12. Michael McLeod (Charlie McAvoy, Jakob Chychrun, Jake Bean)

6. Pavel Zacha (Ivan Provorov, Mikko Rantanen, Zach Werenski)
12. Denis Gurianov (Mathew Barzal, Kyle Connor, Thomas Chabot)

Sure, moving down a few spots is less exciting when it comes to the draft, but it's only a little bit less exciting.

I don't get how people think it would work taking into account the coaching staff and players on the team. How are you supposed to purposely lose without consequences to the the culture and atmosphere of the team?
This is a good post, and I thank you for listing them all out.

Lets list a few more:

2014: Virtanen (6) Perlini (12)
2013: Monahan (6) Domi (12)
2012: Lindholm (6) Grigorenko (12)
2011: Zibanejad (6) Murphy (12)

Personally I come to a different conclusion than you do.
I think the difference between 6th and 12th is quite large. Very few players drafted 6th are outright busts. At 12, the chances are much higher.

And I think we will agree that even 6th overall picks still aren't great (even though it tends to be the highest the Flames ever pick). Since 2007, only four players drafted 6th overall have ever had a 50 point season.
So losses matter more when you're at the very bottom of the standings. The change in value goes up exponentially. If you're actually rebuilding, you need to be picking higher than 6th.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 05-14-2021 at 04:11 PM.
1qqaaz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 05:12 PM   #162
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Truthfully, I understand other fans wanting them to do a full rebuild and if that is the direction that the organization chose like the Rangers and the Senators, then I would be on board and probably also be bummed out if they won a bunch of games at the end of the season ruining their chances at a very high pick (you're right that even 6th isn't high enough if drafting an all-star is the goal of the season). That being said, it's not what the team was doing and I don't think it's worth the energy being spent being angry with the team for trying to win games and refine their game under their still new coach.

I was very critical of Geoff Ward and excited when Sutter was hired because the second rate coaching this team has had since Sutter was very frustrating to me. I remember when he took over the team in 2002-03 and started to change things and watched as they turned into a contender (and unfortunately lost a season in the midst of that to a lockout). So, since they took the step that I was hoping for, I'm going to wait and see how it turns out.

I support making trades and am hoping for an Eichel deal, myself. I also think they should have put a couple more young guys in last night. But I want to see them control games, generate more offense, and get used to winning, even if it makes finding a good player in the first round a bit tougher.

Also, I found this paper on draft pick value:
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...TkFGHYWjHUdJZu

Looks like you were right that there is a fairly big value gap. This guy has the suggested cost to move from 12th to 6th as 12th+44th. Not insignificant.

Last edited by Savvy27; 05-14-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Savvy27 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Savvy27 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 06:04 PM   #163
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMc View Post
Mathematically...sure i guess?

Even if the 6 things that needed to line up to scrape into the playoffs did magically line up. Does anyone have any illusions they would have made some noise when they got there? That we'd take 4 from the Leafs? The way this season has gone and the way this team has played?

We would get dummied by the Leafs. And i hate the Leafs.

The team was out of the playoffs months ago.
Right now they needed one more win

plus these next three against Vancouver (doesn't look very far fetched)

just saying that they haven't been out of it for a month plus like some people say. If they won ONE of those games that "didn't matter" they would be alive right now and Montreal would be peeing their pants.
Old 05-14-2021, 08:47 PM   #164
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
2013: Monahan (6) Domi (12)
I might be misunderstanding this, but are you implying (or is it inferring?) that Domi is better than Monahan?

come on man.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:02 PM   #165
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
On April 9, only 5 teams had fewer points than Calgary.

The difference between 6th OA and 11/12th overall (this is where the Flames will pick) is a lot.
It's easily worth more than a late first. In fact, this amount might even be worth more than Monahan. Especially when you consider the fact that there is a tier between the top 8 and the picks afterwards.
Also, at 6th OA you have a 15.2% chance of winning the lottery. Rather than 6.3%.

And the prospects might be "middling", but they're also the best non-CHL prospects the Flames have.
I'm not sure how much you've followed the Heat this year, but Phillips and Mackey were great and deserve to play. And even moreso, they deserve to be developed.
lol

Come on man.

How did nobody challenge this?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:08 PM   #166
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
lol

Come on man.

How did nobody challenge this?
Monahan has negative value. He shouldn't be in the NHL at all, because Flames.

It is known, Khaleesi.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:09 PM   #167
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dammit this needs to happen:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1393393876862373896
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 10:12 PM   #168
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Considering the Flames spent most of this season with little success on an EN, I think we should be the ones to take the bullet.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 10:44 PM   #169
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Vancouver is no good
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:07 AM   #170
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

Both teams could take their goalies out and I doubt either team likely scores more than 5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post: