Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #2101
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
It's kind of a funny way to justify getting rid of the PS4 though, since had you bought it at Target it still would have been cheaper than the BX1.
Yeah really it boiled down to more friends on xbl and I would end up buying the same games for both.
Old 02-06-2014, 09:37 AM   #2102
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the receipt, a PS4 (if you could have found one) and the game would have cost $372 after tax. Sweet deal/place to buy games! But that 9% tax - gah!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:26 AM   #2103
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post

My fiancé is a drug dealer for target. 10% employee discount
5% red card discount
5% pharmacy rewards discount
10% off electronics discount

It was awesome.
Silly how pretty much all electronics store have little no discount whatsoever for employees compared to any other retailer that happens to also stock the same hardware.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:30 AM   #2104
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego Man View Post
You must have a short memory.

It's the exact same way the majority of xbox360 fanboys carried themselves during the last generation, and that's not even debatable.
You've got a selective memory, neither side carried themselves terribly well.

PS fanboys and Xbox fanboys were both dicks.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 10:42 AM   #2105
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Silly how pretty much all electronics store have little no discount whatsoever for employees compared to any other retailer that happens to also stock the same hardware.
Target is pretty good, I think she gets a 10% off everything except prescriptions. Even sale and clearance stuff.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 AM   #2106
zukes
Nostradamus

Exp:

I have never understood why people argue over which console is better. If you are happy playing the one that you are on, be happy. Who cares what others play? If you are satisfied with your system that shoudl be good enough.

My lineage is:

Atari 2600
Nintendo
Super Nintendo
Sega Genesis
Playstation
PS2
PS3
PS4

I stayed with Playstation because I prefer their controllers and am mostly a sports gamer. Some of the sports games have been reported to be slightly better graphically on XBox, but since I preferred the PS controller I stayed. I certainly don't begrudge anyone who prefers XBox.

My thanks to Cube was purely for his conviction on the subject and the obvious troll job.
Old 02-06-2014, 11:22 AM   #2107
Lego Man
Hero

Exp:

My lineage:

Nintendo
Nintendo 64
Gamecube
Wii
PS3
PS4

I will probably pick up a WiiU when it gets dirt cheap. And I mean dirt cheap.

My only regrets are not owning a snes/genesis (not my fault, my parents should have got me one!), and going with Gamecube instead of PS2 (looking back I mostly played third party games other than LoZ:WW).

Last edited by Lego Man; 02-06-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Lego Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:31 AM   #2108
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah I've never understood why people get so appalled at someone having conviction towards a video game console. "It's just an entertainment device! It's just for games! So dumb to be a fan!"

Couldn't we say the same about hockey. Just for entertainment, just a game... but everyone is a hardcore fan of one team and hates many others. I mean, the Canucks are just another hockey team. They're a better hockey team than the Flames the last several years. Why isn't everyone here a fan of them along with the Flames?
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:50 AM   #2109
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukes View Post
I have never understood why people argue over which console is better. If you are happy playing the one that you are on, be happy. Who cares what others play? If you are satisfied with your system that shoudl be good enough.

My lineage is:

Atari 2600
Nintendo
Super Nintendo
Sega Genesis
Playstation
PS3
PS4

I stayed with Playstation because I prefer their controllers and am mostly a sports gamer. Some of the sports games have been reported to be slightly better graphically on XBox, but since I preferred the PS controller I stayed. I certainly don't begrudge anyone who prefers XBox.

My thanks to Cube was purely for his conviction on the subject and the obvious troll job.
Same, I've always gone with whatever system had the best games and gave the best experience

NES
SNES
Genesis
PS1
PS2
Xbox 360
PS3
PS4

In my overlap years, starting with Genesis and SNES, I mainly used Nintendo for their first party games, Genesis for everything else (the Nintendo Mortal Kombat censoring thing was a real piss off). Then I bought a 360 because it was out first and had a lot of great games. PS3 was a gift and I wanted it primarily as a blu-ray player, but kept the 360 as my primary gaming machine simply because it was a better piece of hardware

Now for this generation, PS4 is unquestionably has the best hardware, and for me has the best games. There's nothing on the Xbox One exclusive side that I want to play, so I'll likely not pick one up or even think about it until there is
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #2110
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'd argue that picking a console with the best games at launch is a silly method to go about it. The 360 had terrible launch games and the PS3's were even worse. The titles for the One/PS4 are nothing special which is why I haven't bought either of them. I mean, if Killzone is the best game we're in some serious trouble here.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:27 PM   #2111
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDnStealth View Post
I'd argue that picking a console with the best games at launch is a silly method to go about it. The 360 had terrible launch games and the PS3's were even worse. The titles for the One/PS4 are nothing special which is why I haven't bought either of them. I mean, if Killzone is the best game we're in some serious trouble here.
Yeah, it's pretty hard to predict. If you look at the 1st few years of last gen, I would argue that the 360 had the better titles (yes, yes debatable and not stated as fuel for an argument) and it definitely had the better version of the cross-platform titles. The last few years, given a combination of being able to better leverage the Cell architecture and MS's bizarre abandonment of the 360, the PS3 was absolutely the "better" console.

I live by the motto, that I pick up the 1st next gen console that either has that one game I must play or the better version of the cross-platform game. I will then pick up at a later date (and hopefully one or more price drops and slim downs later) the other console when there is that exclusive or better version of a must play title.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 03:12 PM   #2112
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Sega Master System
Nintendo
Super Nintendo
Sega Genesis /w CD
Nintendo 64
Playstation
Playstation 2
Xbox 360
PS3
Wii
Wii U
3DS XL

My first love will always be PC
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:01 PM   #2113
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trident Systems 1MB
Voooo2 8MB
Voodoo3 3000 16MB AGP
Ti4200 128MB
2x 6600 GT 512MB SLI
7950GX2 (Sandwich SLI) 1GB
2x9800 GT SLI 1GB
285 2GB
580 1.5GB
2x680 4GB SLI

Is my lineage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:07 PM   #2114
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

NES
SNES
N64
GameCube - PS2 - Xbox
Xbox 360 - Wii - PS3
Wii U - PS4

Plus the entire Game Boy lineage and all it's successors, PSP, and Vita.

I've earned the right to be a fan of whatever I damn please.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 05:24 PM   #2115
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
Yeah, it's pretty hard to predict. If you look at the 1st few years of last gen, I would argue that the 360 had the better titles (yes, yes debatable and not stated as fuel for an argument) and it definitely had the better version of the cross-platform titles. The last few years, given a combination of being able to better leverage the Cell architecture and MS's bizarre abandonment of the 360, the PS3 was absolutely the "better" console.
For exclusives, sure. Last of Us is the best looking console game to date IMO. But for cross platform the PS3 still sucks even now. GTA 5 looks and performs better on the 360, and don't forget all the issues with Skyrim last year on the PS3 due to memory limitations. The best decision Sony made was to abandon their weird proprietary architecture and design the PS4 around standard PC hardware
Hemi-Cuda is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #2116
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Atari 2600
<big gap>
Gamecube
Xbox 360/PS3
Wii U
Old 02-06-2014, 08:09 PM   #2117
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My console History

Coleco Telstar Ranger
Intellivision
Commodore Vic 20 (Technically a personal computer but it had a cartridge slot for games. Gorf!)
NES
SNES
Genesis (plus Sega CD & 32X)
Turbographx 16
Atari Jaguar
Sega Saturn
3D0
Playstation
Nintendo 64
Sega Dreamcast
PS2
Xbox
Xbox 360
PS3
Xbox One
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:20 PM   #2118
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats wrong with playing games over two years old especially on a streaming type service. Not to mention sony 1st party games which are some of the best games around will likely be streamed from day one. Pachter seems to be a joke who is looking for hits

People said this about netflix too "old movies" and they seem to be doing alright
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:33 PM   #2119
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah I've never understood why people get so appalled at someone having conviction towards a video game console. "It's just an entertainment device! It's just for games! So dumb to be a fan!"

Couldn't we say the same about hockey. Just for entertainment, just a game... but everyone is a hardcore fan of one team and hates many others. I mean, the Canucks are just another hockey team. They're a better hockey team than the Flames the last several years. Why isn't everyone here a fan of them along with the Flames?
lol no kidding, not to mention the thread is named:

Xbone vs. PS4. Vs. PC Vs. Wiiu THUNDERDOME

yet some are crying that some are posting strong opinions on the console they like, that was the whole ####ing point of this! Its not like these arguments are being posted in a general gaming discussion thread. If you don't like it go make a "I enjoy watching tv on my console and buy whatever my friends have" thread.

that last line was just to get a rise out of some of you guys...take your own advice and don't take this stuff so seriously

Last edited by dino7c; 02-06-2014 at 10:08 PM.
dino7c is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #2120
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

All right, my history:

NES
N64
PS2
PS2 Slim (first one started to fail)
XBOX 360
PS4