Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2022, 06:16 PM   #1561
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its funny, I remember watching the big Press Conference at my office with some fellow Flames fans, friends and clients and we were all enthralled at the audacity of the idea of the project.

And everyone was really excited they even didnt care about the grade-school level renderings, but then the Financial slide came up and my heart just sank.

It took me a grand total of 3 seconds to look at that and know immediately that everything else was BS. It was done. That was never, ever, ever going to work.
You know, looking back on it now, it wasn't the contamination cost alone that killed the project. As you mentioned, the revealing of the concept was completely unexpected, and was incredibly ambitious. It actually wasn't a bad idea, and a solution that kills multiple birds at once.

But, the selling of the vision was incredibly weak. Starting with the initial renders, it looked too unfinished for a very big pitch. When that followed up with the costs, it was lost. That could've been countered by having a strong pitch the city as a whole in why this is a great idea, and why Calgary needs it, rather than wants it. Make a strong enough case, and show why plan B isn't satisfactory in comparison for this city. If they did that, and had more realistic renders that looked good - and made it feel more real - it may have overcome the cleanup costs, and been turn into reality.

Would've been interesting having this in the skyline.

Spoiler!

But, this is what we'll stick with for the foreseeable future...

Spoiler!

Last edited by Joborule; 01-12-2022 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Large images stretches' page in new posts page.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 06:22 PM   #1562
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The more that comes out the more I think it really just was poor timing. Which is okay. I understand it. But quit trying to pin the blame on the other side.

I’d have a lot more respect if both sides would have just come together, released a joint statement saying the project wasn’t financially viable at this time, and that the project would be re-evaluated in the future.

Instead we got a bunch of egotistical man-children slinging mud trying to sewer the other side and win the public’s favour.
I guess what I'm seeing from the city (and this is more so administration than council) is they're trying to lay out the facts and be as open as they can about it. The mayor, certain councilors, and CSEC have applied some spin to it. I think Mayor Gondek was trying to be relatively factual in stating what CSEC saw as unreconcilable issues, but did so in a way to paint CSEC into a corner.

I think the city has made their case that they were trying to make CSEC as aware as possible of the costs of certain things. Most of the public is naive as to how any construction project works, so it seems like the city is changing the requirements, when in reality that's just how building anything works. As the design gets more refined the scope or costs change along the way. It was like that when I built my house, or when you move from a conceptual design to a specific design in something like software development.

Frankly, the slew of opinion pieces from the Herald and Sun trying to blame this on the city is appalling to me. I'd really like CSEC to just be honest about the fact that the costs of the building itself are giving CSEC sticker shock and they don't want to maintain the current agreement, but, in my opinion, that would make them look weak.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:29 PM   #1563
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Would've been interesting having this in the skyline.
Agreed. The Flames had been working on what was possible with that West Village location for several years leading up to 2015. Several master plans were done for that area which featured variations of an awesome sports district, combined with commercial and residential. That's the spot the Flames really wanted more than any, including where it will now be. Such a good location too; would have really galvanized that area tremendously.
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 06:48 PM   #1564
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Agreed. The Flames had been working on what was possible with that West Village location for several years leading up to 2015. Several master plans were done for that area which featured variations of an awesome sports district, combined with commercial and residential. That's the spot the Flames really wanted more than any, including where it will now be. Such a good location too; would have really galvanized that area tremendously.
It was a big idea, and I commend them for that. It was recognizing the idea of setting up a district where you can live, work, and play in one specific spot of the downtown area, and addressing many issues all at once.

Didn't work out, but the spirit of the idea can still be realized in East Victoria Park. May not have have a 2-for-1 sports complex out of it, but it does get me more aboard on the pitched idea on this forum to renovate/rebuild the Stampede Grandstand to address the McMahon Stadium issue. You can move the Stamps (and possible future teams in the long run) downtown, and have the Stampede grounds having all of Calgary's big entertainment draws in one spot.

Last edited by Joborule; 01-12-2022 at 07:06 PM.
Old 01-12-2022, 06:51 PM   #1565
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
May have have a 2-for-1 sports complex out of it, but it does get me more aboard on the pitched idea on this forum to renovate/rebuild the Stampede Grandstand to address the McMahon Stadium issue.
I'm having trouble figuring out how you combine a rodeo infield with a football field when the Stampede runs during the CFL season. Is there some way to switch rapidly between artificial turf and artificial dirt?
Old 01-12-2022, 06:52 PM   #1566
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
I'm having trouble figuring out how you combine a rodeo infield with a football field when the Stampede runs during the CFL season. Is there some way to switch rapidly between artificial turf and artificial dirt?
A retracting field similar to Arizona Cardinals field.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:03 PM   #1567
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Or, you could simply cover the turf, and put dirt on it. It's what they do at NRG Stadium (Houston Texans) when they have the Rodeo in their stadium.

Spoiler!

The endzone seating would have the be moveable obviously.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Joborule For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 07:12 PM   #1568
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They do it every year in Houston for their big rodeo.

It shouldn't be any different than hauling dirt into any other arena or stadium for a rodeo or monster truck show. Cover over the turf and haul in the dirt. Once the rodeo is over, haul it out and uncover the field.

The Saddledome used to host Rodeo Royal every year in the middle of the hockey season. Rexall Place hosted the CFR every year for over 40 years during the hockey season.

The Stamps play on the road during Stampede Week every year anyway, so they wouldn't be disrupting their schedule.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:25 PM   #1569
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The last time the CFR shared Rexall with the Oilers was 2015. The Oilers played a home game on November 6 and the rodeo started on the 11th. The final day of the rodeo was November 15 and the Oilers had a home game on the 18th.

That's how fast they can do a switchover in a hockey arena.

If there was a full week between the rodeo and a football game, there should be more than enough time to do the switchover.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:26 PM   #1570
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that big enough for chuck wagon racing though?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:28 PM   #1571
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
OK, that works if you have $455 million US to spend on a football stadium.

The other question, from the Stampede's point of view, is what do you do with the chuckwagons?
Old 01-12-2022, 07:32 PM   #1572
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chucks days are numbered anyway
Old 01-12-2022, 07:36 PM   #1573
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never thought an amateur sports facility sharing space with an event center made much sense.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:38 PM   #1574
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Chucks days are numbered anyway
Not if the Provincial Government subsidizes it as our "official sport."
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:39 PM   #1575
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Is that big enough for chuck wagon racing though?
They actually do a modified chuckwagon race inside the stadium in Houston.

It's weird if you're used to Calgary. Three wagons, no outriders, and two laps around the stadium...

If they were going to do it in Calgary, all they'd need to do is keep the ends of the stadium open and keep the track around the outside like there is now.

The chucks are an ongoing challenge anyway, so who knows how much life they have in them? Basically, the sport only survives because of the money they get from the Stampede.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:44 PM   #1576
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

The chucks in Houston are awfully lame IMO. It’s just a sideshow between the actual rodeo events and not a real competition. It’s nothing to aspire to IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:51 PM   #1577
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

CalgaryNEXT has EVERYTHING! It's the hottest place to be!

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 07:52 PM   #1578
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
The more that comes out the more I think it really just was poor timing. Which is okay. I understand it. But quit trying to pin the blame on the other side.

I’d have a lot more respect if both sides would have just come together, released a joint statement saying the project wasn’t financially viable at this time, and that the project would be re-evaluated in the future.

Instead we got a bunch of egotistical man-children slinging mud trying to sewer the other side and win the public’s favour.
I agree but oneside wasn’t on the hook for cost over runs so in terms of who is misrepresenting things it’s pretty one side.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2022, 07:58 PM   #1579
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

After 10 years or whenever the dome lease is up, just make them NHL's first road team. treiliving's travelling show.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2022, 08:04 PM   #1580
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Orphan wells actually have a fund set up by industry. The west end land is the City’s problem. Why would the province or the feds cover that?

CSEC’s plan was the best opportunity to deal with it in a development sense.
Wouldn't regulatory jurisdiction come into play to some extent? ie. The gov't failed to properly regulate the industry, so they bear some responsibility?

I believe the city also felt they had a strong court case against Domtar, though AFAIK that remains unresolved.

The process of purchasing that land certainly seems to smell, but that land should still end up as a net positive in the long run as long as they don't use half of it on a field of schemes.

Quote:
IIRC the Stamps are always scheduled on the road during Stampede week(s), often including a bye week, too. For example, 2016 they played:

Fri July 1 - Home
Fri July 8 - OTT (Day 1 Stampede)
Bye week (Stampede ended July 18)
July 21 - WPG
Fri July 29 - Home

So in that case 7 days pre, 11 days post.

Plenty of design options could make it work...ever seen a timelapse of Staples (MSG, etc.) converting from hockey to hoops in about 3 hours? FWIW about 4 NHL rinks would fit inside a CFL football field, or 10 NBA floors.

Considering they hold a lot of rodeos inside arenas, I suspect the Stampede infield may be larger than necessary (to accomodate the chuckwagon barrels?)
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good