Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #661
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Pulling out is for wimps. Just ask my old buddy George.

NSFW!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:23 PM   #662
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's hope the bounces go our way and perhaps the Flames can squeak into the playoffs.
Old 12-22-2021, 03:25 PM   #663
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
I believe that the value of the new venue was baked into the 2021 valuation of the Flames, which is why it increased 42% YOY, the 5th most among NHL franchises. Without a new building, why would the value of the Flames increase more than most other franchises?

I'm pretty sure the Flames would not be valued at $680M today.

And the league is more concerned about long-term revenues than current revenues. With the current facilities, the Flames have the lowest potential revenue of any NHL franchise, and that discrepancy will only increase over time.
Franchise valuations are a total crapshoot, and ultimately boil down to what someone is willing to pay and what someone is willing to accept.

Penguins were valued in the $650-685M range for the last 4 years, but suddenly sold for $900M.

We know the Yotes went for around $300M in 2019.

Is Murray's sell number less than Meruelo's?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
#1 Seems like an easy yes to me. The 200M is a third of the cost of a new arena. So again, Houston

#2 Never got the impression that Melynk wants to sell, everyone would probably be overjoyed haha

#3 Going forward without a new stadium, our revenues are not great. If someone was buying the team I'd wager they think they can be better than average long term.
Houston's arena is already 20 years old and it's Fertita or bust there. Do we think Meruelo is turning down $475 but Murray says yes to $480?

And the league has plenty of say in managing who can/can't join their exclusive club (and also who they might prefer to move on from, ie. the clown shows in ARI and Melnyk).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:30 PM   #664
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Calgary would be a relocation candidate. And honestly relocation might just best for the city to maybe, finally, get decent ownership.
Who dat? Brett Wilson & Theo Fleury?
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 03:32 PM   #665
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
They launch t-shirts with sexy selfies of Brett Wilson on the front?
Old 12-22-2021, 03:34 PM   #666
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I just puked in my mouth.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:36 PM   #667
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I stayed in Brett Wilson’s condo once. He left copies of his book everywhere. What a dbag that guy is.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:39 PM   #668
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I stayed in Brett Wilson’s condo once. He left copies of his book everywhere. What a dbag that guy is.
I tried to read Brett Wilson's book once before I realized he was such a dbag and I couldn't make it through. "I know all these amazing people and I am the greatest" is pretty much the TLDR of the book.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 03:45 PM   #669
Gemnoble
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
This Rajen Ruperall fella just indicated he'd be willing to be part owner.
Gemnoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 03:53 PM   #670
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
So, plenty of toilet paper?
Old 12-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #671
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
She had nothing to do with it. It was discussed with Administration and happened prior to her even being elected Mayor. And as Cllr Dhaliwall and Cllr Wong stated in the press conference, the Approval Authority, Calgary Planning Commission heard the application Nov 18, and no concerns were raised, and the applicant were supportive, even "boasting" about those climate mitigation conditions. Again, even if they had buyers remorse post approval, they could have appealed.

Even Further, The Mayor has offered, and offered again to seek provincial and federal funding to cover those costs. The structure of the condition enables that to happen.
So watching the full CSEC press conference, there was a question from Meghan Potkins (Postmedia) regarding this November 18 meeting. A paraphrase of the response was "CPC is a forum for development approvals matters, not for who is responsible for those costs. This would not have been discussed at that meeting."

Which to be fair, is correct. Who pays what is a commercial matter, of which CPC has no relevance to. Still, people on both sides should have seen these costs coming at that point....
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 03:55 PM   #672
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Is this guy legitimate or just trying to score some cheap Twitter likes?
It's a moot point, because it doesn't actually solve the problem - the team is already expecting to sell the naming rights, so "money for naming rights" is priced into their decision already.

(Sidenote: according to this Scotiabank has naming rights for the Saddledome for $1M/year until 2030. If that transfers to the new building the Flames may not even have naming rights available to sell.)
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:05 PM   #673
MonaTone
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
It's a moot point, because it doesn't actually solve the problem - the team is already expecting to sell the naming rights, so "money for naming rights" is priced into their decision already.

(Sidenote: according to this Scotiabank has naming rights for the Saddledome for $1M/year until 2030. If that transfers to the new building the Flames may not even have naming rights available to sell.)
Maybe they can sell the naming rights to the four streets surrounding the building.

Comfort King Blvd.
Cool Foam Slumber Street.
Serta Snore No More Ave.
Memory Foam Lane.
MonaTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:08 PM   #674
carmenshoes
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Good, no more welfare handouts for corporate bums and their hobbies.

It's time these losers learn to start paying their own way, carry their own weight, and stop relying on charity from the average Calgarian.
carmenshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carmenshoes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 04:10 PM   #675
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonaTone View Post
Maybe they can sell the naming rights to the four streets surrounding the building.

Comfort King Blvd.
Cool Foam Slumber Street.
Serta Snore No More Ave.
Memory Foam Lane.
They should just name it 'The Bio-Dome' and insist that its Eco-Friendly name makes it Net-Zero all by itself.

Its far more effective than just changing your Facebook profile photo, and awareness is what counts right?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:11 PM   #676
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hell yeah! Let's lose the team, AND be stuck with an old arena! That'll show 'em. Not sure exactly who "them" is, but whoever they are, they'll be shown! And every time we enter a crumbling saddledome to see a junior hockey team play we'll be secure in the knowledge that we did our part for global warming. Let Edmonton have frivolous things like concerts, world juniors, an NHL team, we're too smart and self satisfied to need those in Calgary! Whoever built Rogers Arena probably didn't even add solar panels to it, for shame.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2021, 04:14 PM   #677
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
Hell yeah! Let's lose the team, AND be stuck with an old arena! That'll show 'em. Not sure exactly who "them" is, but whoever they are, they'll be shown! And every time we enter a crumbling saddledome to see a junior hockey team play we'll be secure in the knowledge that we did our part for global warming. Let Edmonton have frivolous things like concerts, world juniors, an NHL team, we're too smart and self satisfied to need those in Calgary! Whoever built Rogers Arena probably didn't even add solar panels to it, for shame.
I'm sure the cost of solar panels aren't the reason for this
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #678
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:

The Calgary Heat can always play the Abbotsford Canucks.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:16 PM   #679
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
I'm sure the cost of solar panels aren't the reason for this
Now read the post again and see if that was the point of it.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2021, 04:17 PM   #680
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Who put in the money to build Rogers Arena, in the second most expensive city in Canada?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good