Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-14-2022, 06:30 AM   #3101
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post
Nick Caserio is not getting nearly enough credit for the job he has done with the Texans over the last year and it's clear not many are following the Texans closely enough to notice his work (understandable).

I posted this elsewhere a few days ago but will copy/paste for those interested who might not follow the Texans situation very closely. For the record, I graded his first year with the team as an A performance, have copied/pasted in NSFW due to length.

NSFW!

The Culley era was never going to be more than a year or two experience and he was hired to be fired. Everyone knew it. His job was to throw himself on the grenade that was the Texans HC job in that moment and lose games with a smile on his face/build a sense of culture within the lockerroom. He did a great job off the field and was in way over his head on the field as expected. He should be proud of himself for how he handled the entire situation but anyone saying that this firing reflects poorly on the Texans doesn't know what they are talking about.

Look for them to trade Laremy Tunsil next for a late first/early second and the same "LOL TEXANS DONT HAVE A CLUE" comments to follow. Only thing that is going to change this narrative is time but people should realize that this team with Caserio in charge is not anywhere close to where it was a year ago.
I don't want to rain on your parade but those aren't exactly earth shattering moves pointing to heading in the right direction. Being more competent than O'Brien was expected of any incoming GM that had a half functioning brain. The problem is clearly that the owner is one of the worst in the league and any GM is going to be handcuffed by that.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:09 AM   #3102
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I think it was the Senator several posts ago who said the Texans are right where they were a year ago which is wildly wrong.

They finally have their own picks, plus some others, salary cap flexibility and whatever they get from Watson. Should be able to attract a much stronger coach now and actually start moving forward.
What makes you think you'll get a "much stronger coach"? Your ownership is still a disaster, and having more picks is better than not having picks, but also not that important (the Giants have lots of picks, do you think they are an attractive job?). And since you're about to trade a top five player at the most valuable position in the league, the most appealing part of the job is about to be gone. If they are forced to settle for David Culley Jr. as their coach things will arguably be worse.
Old 01-14-2022, 07:23 AM   #3103
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
What makes you think you'll get a "much stronger coach"? Your ownership is still a disaster, and having more picks is better than not having picks, but also not that important (the Giants have lots of picks, do you think they are an attractive job?). And since you're about to trade a top five player at the most valuable position in the league, the most appealing part of the job is about to be gone. If they are forced to settle for David Culley Jr. as their coach things will arguably be worse.
O’brien is gone.
They have their picks plus what they get for Watson.
Culley was not an NFL head coach.

So yes the situation is obviously much better even though Cal remains. They should be able to hire an actual head coach. I’m not calling it some fantastic situation.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 07:26 AM   #3104
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I don't want to rain on your parade but those aren't exactly earth shattering moves pointing to heading in the right direction. Being more competent than O'Brien was expected of any incoming GM that had a half functioning brain. The problem is clearly that the owner is one of the worst in the league and any GM is going to be handcuffed by that.
Cal McNair is not competent but how has he handcuffed Caserio thus far?
Old 01-14-2022, 07:48 AM   #3105
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Cal McNair is not competent but how has he handcuffed Caserio thus far?
It's only one year in. A year where they just hired a coach and set him up to be fired. We have seen it with Al Davis, Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, Shahid Khan, Cal McNair, etc as the bad owners always get in the way.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:30 AM   #3106
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
O’brien is gone.
They have their picks plus what they get for Watson.
Culley was not an NFL head coach.

So yes the situation is obviously much better even though Cal remains. They should be able to hire an actual head coach. I’m not calling it some fantastic situation.
Not that I'm saying Culley was actually a genius coach, but they fielded one of the worst rosters in the league and even despite four wins felt like they overachieved. Also, you don't think other coaching candidates are going to see the Culley situation, that he was essentially set up to fail, and either a) look to avoid it; or b) try and get the same deal Culley got ($22 million for one year)? I know if I was some coordinator the thought of $22 million for one year is far more appealing than trying to actually turn the Texans around.
Old 01-14-2022, 08:58 AM   #3107
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Not that I'm saying Culley was actually a genius coach, but they fielded one of the worst rosters in the league and even despite four wins felt like they overachieved. Also, you don't think other coaching candidates are going to see the Culley situation, that he was essentially set up to fail, and either a) look to avoid it; or b) try and get the same deal Culley got ($22 million for one year)? I know if I was some coordinator the thought of $22 million for one year is far more appealing than trying to actually turn the Texans around.
Yeah that's what i keep coming back too as well.

If I am a sought after HC candidate, why in the hell would i even consider going to Houston?

If I am way down the pecking order among the league execs as a coach in waiting, then sure I would be all over it.

But taking the wrong job as a hot commodity in that small circle can put a kibosh on your goals quicker than losing games does.

Add in the McNair factor, the Watson debacle that is far from settled, and a really really spotty roster....its as about undesireable a spot to land as one could find.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:14 AM   #3108
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

exactly. I can appreciate the arguments of Texans fans that Caserio has been doing a decent job, but if I'm a HC candidate, I still see a really bad roster, a QB that wants out and a less than ideal ownership setup with McNair and Easterby. Then you factor in the fact that they just canned Culley after a year despite overachieving, and the prospect of being a terrible team for at least another year. What exactly would entice a HC candidate to go there? It's easily the least interesting vacancy out there, and in that regard, Senator is spot on that it's similar to last year.

now, maybe they can hire Mayo because of the Caserio link and his apparent desire to copy the Patriots. But we all know that hiring Belichick disciples is everything but a guarantee for success, so I guess we'll see.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:15 AM   #3109
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

If you're a younger Head Coach you will want to be careful. If you pick the wrong spot even one bad stint will type cast you as someone who can only be an assistant. So they will limit themselves to another Culley type where it's a long time assistant who's not likely to get a splashy job with a team that has a flashy new QB.

Even with the Draft capital this years QB class looks weak, so whoever goes there is likely saddled to Davis Mills again too regardless of what they might get for Watson. So even the teams who have good draft capital are still less attractive than one that has a viable QB in place.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:28 AM   #3110
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Culley firing really felt like they saw Brian Flores get fired and decided they wanted him as their head coach

Flores is said to be the guy who really wanted Watson in Miami, so I wonder if they are hoping that bringing in Flores could convince Watson to stay (Even for one year).
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 09:32 AM   #3111
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watsons problem was with ownership though, was it not? Don't think coaching was an issue. Doubt Flores would make a difference.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:47 AM   #3112
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The Culley firing really felt like they saw Brian Flores get fired and decided they wanted him as their head coach

Flores is said to be the guy who really wanted Watson in Miami, so I wonder if they are hoping that bringing in Flores could convince Watson to stay (Even for one year).
This is what I think happened as there's the obvious Patriots connection. The funny thing is that Flores got fired for not being personable in the building and butting heads with the GM. McNair is well versed in GM and head coach power struggles and last time sided with the head coach. If they indeed hire Flores, Casero better hope he makes him happy as it will possibly be him walking the plank if there's friction.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:51 AM   #3113
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's only one year in. A year where they just hired a coach and set him up to be fired. We have seen it with Al Davis, Jerry Jones, Dan Snyder, Shahid Khan, Cal McNair, etc as the bad owners always get in the way.
How did McNair handcuff O'Brien before him? That's not McNair's issue, there's no evidence of that

Anyway Culley was in way over his head as Head Coach and I challenge anyone who followed the Texans to argue otherwise. He was simply a caretaker to take off the O'Brien stink.

Caserio will get the former Patriot that he wants, I'm quite sure of that. Doesn't mean the Texans are a good organization but well ahead of 12 months ago.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:30 AM   #3114
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How did McNair handcuff O'Brien before him? That's not McNair's issue, there's no evidence of that

Anyway Culley was in way over his head as Head Coach and I challenge anyone who followed the Texans to argue otherwise. He was simply a caretaker to take off the O'Brien stink.

Caserio will get the former Patriot that he wants, I'm quite sure of that. Doesn't mean the Texans are a good organization but well ahead of 12 months ago.
McNair handcuffed Rick Smith when he sided O'Brien who clearly had no clue what the GM chair entails. How many years did we sit here and laugh at what he permitted O'Brien to get away with?
Old 01-14-2022, 10:31 AM   #3115
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Watsons problem was with ownership though, was it not? Don't think coaching was an issue. Doubt Flores would make a difference.
Watson's issue is with Easterby/McNair. They aren't going to be hiring a coach with the intention of keeping Watson around and hoping he changes his mind. That ship has sailed.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 10:45 AM   #3116
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1481727885501247489 (this says all you need to know about Culley as a HC)

Culley was not setup to fail. Everyone who follows the Texans knew this was the deal the second he was hired. He was brought in to coach for a season or two and not have the lockerroom implode further on itself. He was brought in to lose games with a smile on his face and to implement a culture of doing things the "right way" in the lockerroom. At no time was Culley ever hired with any sort of future in mind, that is how badly things were in Houston at the beginning of last offseason. They literally just needed someone to throw themselves on the grenade while Caserio worked to tear the team down to the studs so the rebuild could begin.

You need to give these coaches more credit. They know the deal. Culley is a 66 year old positional coach who had never even been a coordinator. You seriously think anyone who interviews for the job (who will no doubt already have a relationship with Caserio) doesn't know the deal there? no candidates are going to worry about their own potential job security because David Culley of all people was fired after one season.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2022, 11:22 AM   #3117
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan97 View Post

You need to give these coaches more credit. They know the deal. Culley is a 66 year old positional coach who had never even been a coordinator. You seriously think anyone who interviews for the job (who will no doubt already have a relationship with Caserio) doesn't know the deal there? no candidates are going to worry about their own potential job security because David Culley of all people was fired after one season.
Fair enough, but which up and comer is going to want to sewer one of his first chances at a coaching job with what the Texans currently have?

I get the idea of getting a guy in to undo some of the past disfunction. But at this stage is the job going to appeal enough to say an Eric Bienemy or even Brian Flores enough to make them jump on board. A guy like Flores only has one more shot until he's type cast as a guy who can be an assistant. So does he want to take a beating for another year on a team that's going to have a bad roster before he get's help and probably only has one more year to really turn things?
Old 01-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #3118
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean this time last year the Texans had a top QB in the league who wanted out and one of the worst rosters in the league. Currently they have....a top QB in the league who wants out and one of the worst rosters in the league. Last year they had the worst job opening. This year they have....either the worst job opening, or tied for worst with the Giants. This is still not a desirable job, it's still probably gonna be a first time coach who is currently coordinator, or failed retread. Maybe Jerrod Mayo is the next Belichick, maybe McDaniels or Patricia won't suck in their second go around. But there's a decent chance they end up not even upgrading on Culley. Again, not defending Culley at all, but if they do end up hiring a mild upgrade, or no upgrade at all, it will be absolutely hilarious (and on brand).
Old 01-14-2022, 01:57 PM   #3119
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

All Pro teams have been released.

------------------

QB: Aaron Rodgers (34), Tom Brady (16)

RB: Jonathan Taylor (50), NA

TE: Mark Andrews (41), Travis Kelce (9)

WR: Davante Adams (50), Cooper Kupp (50), Deebo Samuel (21), Justin Jefferson (20), Ja'Marr Chase (9), NA

LT: Trent Williams (46), Rashawn Slater (2), Orlando Brown Jr (1), Tyron Smith (1)

LG: Joel Bitonio (28), Quenton Nelson (13), Joe Thuney (6), Ali Marpet (2), Rodger Saffold (1)

C: Jason Kelce (21), Corey Linsley (11), Creed Humphrey (10), Ryan Jensen (5), Ryan Kelly (3)

RG: Zack Martin (46), Wyatt Teller (2), Shaq Mason (1), Brandon Scherff (1)

RT: Tristan Wirfs (37), Lane Johnson (10), Brian O'Neill (3)

EDGE: TJ Watt (50), Myles Garrett (29), Robert Quinn (9), Maxx Crosby (6), Nick Bosa (5), Joey Bosa (1)

IDL: Aaron Donald (50), Cam Heyward (19), Chris Jones (10), Jeffery Simmons (10), DeForest Buckner (5), Kenny Clark (2), Vita Vea (2), Jonathan Allen (2)

LB: Micah Parsons (46), Darius Leonard (44), De'Vondre Campbell (18), Demario Davis (10), Roquan Smith (10), Bobby Wagner (7), Lavonte David (3), Matthew Judon (3), Denzel Perryman (2), Foye Oluokun (2), CJ Mosley (1), Jordyn Brooks (1), Devin White (1), Matt Milano (1), Tremaine Edmunds (1)

CB: Trevon Diggs (33), Jalen Ramsey (32), JC Jackson (25), AJ Terrell (8), Darius Slay (1), Marshon Lattimore (1)

S: Kevin Byard (41), Jordan Poyer (12), Budda Baker (10), Justin Simmons (10), Micah Hyde (10), Derwin James (5), Quandre Diggs (3), Marcus Williams (3), Adrian Phillips (2), Antoine Winfield Jr (1), Minkah Fitzpatrick (1), Tyrann Mathieu (1), Harrison Smith (1)

K: Justin Tucker (40), Daniel Carlson (8), Nick Folk (1), Matt Gay (1)

P: AJ Cole (21), Bryan Anger (18), Michael Dickson (5), Logan Cooke (3), Sam Martin (1), Johnny Hekker (1), Cameron Johnston (1)

KR: Braxton Berrios (27), Andre Roberts (13), Kene Nwangwu (7), Isaiah McKensie (1), Jakeem Grant (1), Devin Duvernay (1)

PR: Devin Duvernay (28), Jakeem Grant (20), Braxton Berrios (2)

ST: JT Gray (18), Matthew Slater (10), Ashton Dulin (10), Miles Killebrew (3), Matt Adams (3), Frankie Luvu (2), EJ Speed (1), Nick Bellore (1), Derek Watt (1)

LS: Luke Rhodes (22), Josh Harris (12), Morgan Cox (4), Trent Sieg (4), Nick Moore (3), Joe Cardona (3)
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2022, 02:00 PM   #3120
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Pretty good indicator that MVP will come down to Rogers and Taylor.