Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-19-2022, 09:52 AM   #1241
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Celiac is covered off in the "Crohn's etc" comment.

Those with specific medical conditions are different.

I am speaking about the crowd that suddenly is "Gluten Sensitive" because it is en vogue.
You can usually pick them out as the ones who grill the wait staff over every detail, then order a normal beer with their GF pizza, and sneak a bread stick or 6.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 09:53 AM   #1242
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Sure but those with actual medical reasons are first bundled up into the joke crowd. I just don’t understand picking on people for food choices, and having them have to justify them to make others feel better about themselves.
That's fine.

I actually think their flippancy demeans those that actually face these difficult dietary restrictions.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 12:17 PM   #1243
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Sure but those with actual medical reasons are first bundled up into the joke crowd. I just don’t understand picking on people for food choices, and having them have to justify them to make others feel better about themselves.
You are correct that people who have Celiac get unfairly linked to the group of people who some random "nutritionist" or naturopath who has a bogus allergy test recommends that they stop eating gluten because they are "sensitive" to it. The good thing is that I think celiac people have better access to a variety of higher quality GF food that didn't really exist until snake oil salesmen convinced non-celiac people that they should stop eating gluten.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ben voyonsdonc For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #1244
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
You are correct that people who have Celiac get unfairly linked to the group of people who some random "nutritionist" or naturopath who has a bogus allergy test recommends that they stop eating gluten because they are "sensitive" to it. The good thing is that I think celiac people have better access to a variety of higher quality GF food that didn't really exist until snake oil salesmen convinced non-celiac people that they should stop eating gluten.
Bit of a double edged sword. We used to have 4 dedicated GF stores in Calgary with all sorts of niche products. As popularity increased, the grocery stores got in on it, eventually driving these GF stores away. There are now none that I know of in Calgary. I buy some stuff off Amazon now that I can't find anywhere else. Yes, you can go to Community Natural and Amaranth, but the GF stores had everything, and you didn't need to read labels or check for GF stickers on the shelf(that are often wrong). And fewer products.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2022, 12:53 PM   #1245
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Bit of a double edged sword. We used to have 4 dedicated GF stores in Calgary with all sorts of niche products. As popularity increased, the grocery stores got in on it, eventually driving these GF stores away. There are now none that I know of in Calgary. I buy some stuff off Amazon now that I can't find anywhere else. Yes, you can go to Community Natural and Amaranth, but the GF stores had everything, and you didn't need to read labels or check for GF stickers on the shelf(that are often wrong). And fewer products.
That's rough. Have you found that restaurants are better able to meet GF needs?
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2022, 01:00 PM   #1246
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben voyonsdonc View Post
That's rough. Have you found that restaurants are better able to meet GF needs?
Ya, there are more options now, for the most part. I don't expect everywhere I go to be able to serve me(it's not like it is a requirement), so I always do research first, and pretty much know what I'm eating long before I get to a restaurant. Travel can suck though, depending on the country. Just finding a quick breakfast can be a PITA. Anyway, waaaay off topic!
Old 01-20-2022, 01:14 PM   #1247
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

This seems fitting here...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 12:43 PM   #1248
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I had a girlfriend a few years ago get into the whole "gluten sensitive" train because her friends told her to do so.

She used to annoyingly grill the waitresses at every restaurant we went to about gluten free options. Then then one day at a restaurant, the waitress started grilling her back. It was kind of embarrassing for her and too funny for me.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to _Q_ For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2022, 07:53 PM   #1249
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I actually have a gluten sensitivity. It ruins my stomach from time to time. But all my favorite things have gluten so I eat a ####load of it.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:57 AM   #1250
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I think I actually have a gluten sensitivity. It ruins my stomach from time to time. But all my favorite things have gluten so I eat a ####load of it.
Samesies!
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 08:27 AM   #1251
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you guys ever get tested for celiac?

You can’t tell celiac from a gluten sensitivity by symptoms or frequency of symptoms.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:24 AM   #1252
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

It’s probably just as likely you’re simply getting old and eating a big greasy pizza, possibly with spicy toppings, is causing the issue.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:52 PM   #1253
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Pizza Culture again last night.

It's my favorite Neapolitan style in the city.
Old 01-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #1254
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't mean to derail the thread, but a lot of the gluten, stomach and other digestive issues we face here in North America are very much a North American problem overwhelming.

A lot of people who have issues with eating pasta, pizza and other such foods containing gluten here just don't have the problem overseas when eating the same foods. We've destroyed our food system with the crap we are doing to our food.

I am not saying these conditions don't exist in other countries, but here it seems a LOT more people have gluten and other food sensitivities here. The trend of millions of people not being able to eat breads, pastas, pizza and other such foods is just so foreign to certain European cultures like French, Italian's, Greek's, Spaniards etc
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 01:08 PM   #1255
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I don't mean to derail the thread, but a lot of the gluten, stomach and other digestive issues we face here in North America are very much a North American problem overwhelming.

A lot of people who have issues with eating pasta, pizza and other such foods containing gluten here just don't have the problem overseas when eating the same foods. We've destroyed our food system with the crap we are doing to our food.

I am not saying these conditions don't exist in other countries, but here it seems a LOT more people have gluten and other food sensitivities here. The trend of millions of people not being able to eat breads, pastas, pizza and other such foods is just so foreign to certain European cultures like French, Italian's, Greek's, Spaniards etc
That's not true at all. Italy has rates as high as 1.6%. They also are very good at recognizing it, testing children, and generally having the best GF food you can find. it's not a "foreign" concept at all in Europe, there is GF stuff everywhere. Have you traveled as or with a celiac? Now, if you want to argue the concept is more foreign in places like Cambodia then I'll accept that. But even Vietnam I found it was recognized. Just, uh, not really understood as well. No, you can't boil my rice noodles in wheat noodle water!

https://www.beyondceliac.org/researc...ng-prevalence/

If a country has lower rates, it's probably due to under-diagnosing.

This is an older graphic, but you get the point. I don't know why this myth exists, but it is just that, a myth.

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-25-2022 at 01:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
GGG
Old 01-25-2022, 01:17 PM   #1256
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

To chime in- I am not GF, but my wife is celiac, so I generally try a bite or slice of her pie whenever we order. I have tried a lot around Calgary and can say that the GF pizza that is closest to the non GF version is Spiros. The large majority of GF pizzas will be considerably thinner, crispier, and tougher than the regular version. Spiros is pretty close though with the same thickness, appearance, and texture as the regular. I would suggest that the average person would maybe not notice something was off if you didn't mention it was GF. Spiros is one of the few I am usually ok sharing a GF, as opposed to getting my own.

Off the top of my head, Howie's, Michael's, PZA, and Bow Tie are a few examples of places known for their GF pizza, but sorry- simply not as good to their regular. Btw, the 1st rule with ordering a GF pizza is asking if they make their own crust or if it is frozen. If it is frozen, usually tough to be any good.

Oh, and just to add as we decided to give another shot after several years- Tom's HOP, GF or regular, really kinda sucks.

edit- to add, the Neapolitan style GFs, such as Famoso and Una's are decent enough I guess, but usually very tough.

Last edited by Flabbibulin; 01-25-2022 at 01:23 PM.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 01:38 PM   #1257
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post

You are kind of onto something with this train of thought, but I wouldn't say it is because of the crap we put into our food as much as the differences in flour. The countries with the highest rates of celiac disease are likely to be A/ the ones that test for it the most, and b/ countries that typically use very gluteny flour and hard wheat. Take a look at this-

https://medium.com/the-cookbook-for-...u-673e1e3b14dd
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 04:34 PM   #1258
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
That's not true at all. Italy has rates as high as 1.6%. They also are very good at recognizing it, testing children, and generally having the best GF food you can find. it's not a "foreign" concept at all in Europe, there is GF stuff everywhere. Have you traveled as or with a celiac? Now, if you want to argue the concept is more foreign in places like Cambodia then I'll accept that. But even Vietnam I found it was recognized. Just, uh, not really understood as well. No, you can't boil my rice noodles in wheat noodle water!

https://www.beyondceliac.org/researc...ng-prevalence/

If a country has lower rates, it's probably due to under-diagnosing.

This is an older graphic, but you get the point. I don't know why this myth exists, but it is just that, a myth.

I really sympathize with people who have these type of conditions as it impacts quality of life and enjoyment like no other. The struggle is real.

That being said, I will stand by initial thoughts on the subject but will modify it somewhat. In a lot of countries in Europe and elsewhere where they are experiencing these issues, it's becoming a growing issue as a result of adapting a North American style diet and more modern, factory style farming and production of food sources.

It's not that these conditions don't exist in Italy, France, Greece etc, they do, they do to a lesser extent I would argue. The graph you posted I have no doubt is accurate from a global perspective but I have a feeling we are under diagnosing people here in North America! There are SOO many people that are suffering with gut and digestive issues across the board and continue to without getting diagnosed.

In a lot of countries where the traditional diet, farming, food production and other methods are followed, these issues, and a whole host of other health conditions just don't exist in the same prevalence as they do in North America.

I know that a lot of people who have these issues always swear by 00 Flour, the famous Italian flour that doesn't contain the GMO's and other items that people who suffer claim is in our food.

I see it first hands with my cousins in Greece when I visit. They can't wait to show me the latest burger, doughnut, American chain pizza etc. They are starting to eat a whole lot like us Canadian/American's and it's causing health issues. I stick to and love the traditional cuisine and a lot if the really healthy Greek vegetarian/ vegan dishes.

I am no expert in these conditions at all, but I do know food and I know how much our diet's have really changed and how traditional diet's have changed in a lot of countries. The older people talk about it daily and it's something we should pay attention to.
Old 01-25-2022, 04:37 PM   #1259
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flabbibulin View Post
You are kind of onto something with this train of thought, but I wouldn't say it is because of the crap we put into our food as much as the differences in flour. The countries with the highest rates of celiac disease are likely to be A/ the ones that test for it the most, and b/ countries that typically use very gluteny flour and hard wheat. Take a look at this-

https://medium.com/the-cookbook-for-...u-673e1e3b14dd

Funny I just posted about this 5 minutes ago and it's true. A million people swear by this and I think it's catching on.

I do think that a part of what is driving this gluten free trend and other things is part because of the demand for people who suffer but also people who think of it as healthy or trendy.
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2022, 05:02 PM   #1260
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

We have had our discussion shuffled to a new thread:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=186385