Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-21-2022, 07:19 PM   #1981
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I must be missing something... why does the event centre suddenly become much less expensive to build if built at Fire Park, Marlborough Mall, or on the Tsuut'ina reserve? Or why would the Tsuut'ina First Nation give CSEC a better deal than the City has offered? I don't really understand the logic behind any of these proposed alternative locations.
It’s called grasping at straws.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 07:29 PM   #1982
Calgary '89
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Guys how's this even a debate? Calgary has a massive geographical footprint, so large that people in the SE probably don't even know anyone in the NW and vice-versa.

If you want a huge gathering space you have to keep it central and it HAS to have mass transit connected. Lets also remember the city is dying to increase their downtown tax revenue so they don't have to keep on stiffing homeowners everywhere else.

With or without the Flames the City of Calgary needs to bring a big project downtown and get some money injected back into the area before it goes all Detroit on them.
Calgary '89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 01:22 AM   #1983
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
"the city should not give billionaires a dime! also, don't you dare build it more than 10 mins from my doorstep or else!"

people said the balzac mall would be a ghost town when it was built...now you can't find parking on a weekend
Did people say that about Balzac? I always assumed it would be busy. Mills malls in the US are always packed.
Old 01-22-2022, 05:25 PM   #1984
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Did people say that about Balzac? I always assumed it would be busy. Mills malls in the US are always packed.
Really? I honestly thought they were dying and losing their good tenants. Are there new ones being built?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 05:50 PM   #1985
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Really? I honestly thought they were dying and losing their good tenants. Are there new ones being built?
Bass Pro Shops is always packed.

Way more packed than Cabela's at Deerfoot City.
Old 01-22-2022, 06:28 PM   #1986
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Bass Pro Shops is always packed.

Way more packed than Cabela's at Deerfoot City.
Not talking about Balzac but the Mills malls in the US. I have only been in one in the last several years and it was trending in the wrong direction.
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 07:18 PM   #1987
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Kipper lived in Balzac and he made it to the games, you guys could manage the other way around!
Kiprusoff? Weren't the players always talking about how he lived down in the Okotoks/DeWinton area? I think I even saw a piece on him after he retired, fishing down there and talking about he liked the area.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 08:55 PM   #1988
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not talking about Balzac but the Mills malls in the US. I have only been in one in the last several years and it was trending in the wrong direction.
Perhaps one experience isn't quite enough to indicate a trend?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 09:13 PM   #1989
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Perhaps one experience isn't quite enough to indicate a trend?
You’re right. I’m sure if I came back the following week all those empty spaces would have tenants and the quality of the other stores and foot traffic would be entirely different.

Pretty sure my experience is indicative of the decline of the supersized suburban mall in the US. There is no shortage of data that supports this.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:01 PM   #1990
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You’re right. I’m sure if I came back the following week all those empty spaces would have tenants and the quality of the other stores and foot traffic would be entirely different.

Pretty sure my experience is indicative of the decline of the supersized suburban mall in the US. There is no shortage of data that supports this.
Outlet malls on the outskirts of cities have WAY outperformed suburban malls and downtown retail both before covid-19 and during the pandemic. That isn't to say tons of new ones will be going up next year, but they've been better than every retail asset class except grocery anchored strip malls.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2022, 10:23 PM   #1991
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Outlet malls on the outskirts of cities have WAY outperformed suburban malls and downtown retail both before covid-19 and during the pandemic. That isn't to say tons of new ones will be going up next year, but they've been better than every retail asset class except grocery anchored strip malls.
I believe this, insofar as outlet malls atleast where I live are quite a ways out of town, cheap land, predominantly outdoor shopping spaces where designer brands dump their out of style merchandise at discount. And they do seem to do well.

The Mills malls IMo weren’t intended as outlet malls. They were just supersized suburban malls but their decline has led to a variety of weird stores moving in to fill up the space. I’d be surprised if any malls of this concept get built again.

Maybe the Balzac one is a bit of a hybrid since there are no typical outlet malls in Calgary that I can think of. It’s one of the last Mills malls ever built I believe.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:36 PM   #1992
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is a “mills” mall exactly? Does something distinguish it from any other mall?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:38 PM   #1993
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What is a “mills” mall exactly? Does something distinguish it from any other mall?
Yeah, I'm confused by that as well. Strange Brew is in the US, maybe they have such a fascination with malls down there that there's a difference in mega/outlet malls?

It may be called Cross Iron Mills and there may be a thing called a "Mill mall", but in our world I'm pretty sure everyone and their dog saw Cross Iron as an outlet mall.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:47 PM   #1994
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah. if I go to Cross Iron, it’s the same, to me, as Market Mall, Chinook, or Sunridge.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 10:48 PM   #1995
jayswin

Exp:

Google says that a Mill Mall is

Quote:
A Mills property is a combination of traditional mall, outlet center, big box retailer, and entertainment use.
I guess I can kind of see that. Not sure how that would be any more or less successful than an outlet mall. I feel like individual city specifics and the quality of said mall would have more to do with it. But I'm also out of my depth on this subject.

For example in Calgary we don't have a line-up of outside the city mega malls competing like you do in the US, so I figure the "type" of mega mall factors in a lot less to the success when there is....one. And Cross Iron seems packed all the time when I'm up there.

Last edited by jayswin; 01-22-2022 at 10:51 PM.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:53 PM   #1996
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Yeah, I'm confused by that as well. Strange Brew is in the US, maybe they have such a fascination with malls down there that there's a difference in mega/outlet malls?

It may be called Cross Iron Mills and there may be a thing called a "Mill mall", but in our world I'm pretty sure everyone and their dog saw Cross Iron as an outlet mall.
LOL. Calgarians don’t love shopping malls? Funny how you see things in terms of “our world” and “Americans” “they have such a fascination”.

Mills was a brand of mall built by Mills Corporation in many major cities. Grapevine Mills, Katy Mills, Arizona Mills etc. A supersized suburban mall which I do believe is different than an “outlet mall”. But Balzac is kind of both I guess.
Old 01-22-2022, 10:56 PM   #1997
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Google says that a Mill Mall is

I guess I can kind of see that. Not sure how that would be any more or less successful than an outlet mall. I feel like individual city specifics and the quality of said mall would have more to do with it. But I'm also out of my depth on this subject.

For example in Calgary we don't have a line-up of outside the city mega malls competing like you do in the US, so I figure the "type" of mega mall factors in a lot less to the success when there is....one. And Cross Iron seems packed all the time when I'm up there.
Sounds like you spend a lot of time at that mall, you must have some “American” in your blood.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:03 PM   #1998
jayswin

Exp:

That was weird. Just meant that clearly there's a huge market for outskirt/outlet style malls in the US where as we don't really have a lot of them, hence Calgary having one for 1.5mil people.
Old 01-22-2022, 11:14 PM   #1999
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'd be sweet if they built one of those malls, -- and I get it, I'm dreaming, around the Springbank Airport.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2022, 11:25 PM   #2000
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That was weird. Just meant that clearly there's a huge market for outskirt/outlet style malls in the US where as we don't really have a lot of them, hence Calgary having one for 1.5mil people.
I don’t think there’s this big difference that you believe there is.

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good