Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-17-2022, 08:50 PM   #3141
browna
Franchise Player
 
browna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Calgary
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Maybe. The Raiders have requested an interview with Colts AGM Ed Dodds who just happens to have a history with Harbaugh. This firing is not really surprising as Gruden/Mayock badly mishandled early round draft picks. I expect Basaccia will not get the head coach job because as I said in my other post there are too many coaches on the team that needed to be replaced such as Cable and Olson. I suppose it's possible he stays on as special teams coach if the new coach is okay with it and Basaccia wants to stay.
Harbaugh wanted more control at SF which lead to his demise and firing.
Michigan of course he ran the show.

This move is clearing the decks for him to have that NFL roster control via an administrative GM of his choosing.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:43 AM   #3142
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension
 
Sylvanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just outside Enemy Lines
Exp:
Default

Re: Kupp and the MVP, there might be a plausible argument to be made that a top Wide Receiver should be given a bit more credit to teams overall offensive success. Arizona has looked really off ever since Hopkins got injured. The Titans were 11-2 with A.J. Brown in their lineup and 1-3 without him. Plus if you have watched many Rams games, Kupp is a bit unique in that when he's not getting the ball he's one of the better blocking wide receivers in the run game or on bubble screens.

I still think Rogers will get the award, but these days teams miss a top WR from their lineup a lot more than they miss a running back.
__________________
"Some guys like old balls"
Patriots QB Tom Brady
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:51 AM   #3143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Re: Kupp and the MVP, there might be a plausible argument to be made that a top Wide Receiver should be given a bit more credit to teams overall offensive success. Arizona has looked really off ever since Hopkins got injured. The Titans were 11-2 with A.J. Brown in their lineup and 1-3 without him. Plus if you have watched many Rams games, Kupp is a bit unique in that when he's not getting the ball he's one of the better blocking wide receivers in the run game or on bubble screens.

I still think Rogers will get the award, but these days teams miss a top WR from their lineup a lot more than they miss a running back.
Not even debatable IMO. Packers finished 13-4 which is tied for tops in the league. You only have to watch the tape of the game Jordan Love started against the Chiefs to realize that would be a 4-6 win team without Rodgers. No WR is worth 5+ wins like an Elite QB is.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 09:55 AM   #3144
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player
 
SuperMatt18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Calgary, AB
Exp:
Default

The weird part with me about Rodgers getting MVP is that I have a hard time saying he's head and shoulders better than any of the other QBs this season.

Was he more valuable to his team than Joe Burrow? or Tom Brady?

I know people say the other guys have better weapons but Adams is a top 5 WR in the league, Dillion and Jones both had 800 yards which ranked them both about 20th in the NFL for RBs and Packers had a better rushing game than Tampa or Cincinnati. Rodgers has the offensive weapons to work with too.

I've never liked Brady but the guy led the league in passing yards, passing TDs, passes for 20+ yards, only took 22 sacks, and his team didn't really have any sort of running game this year.

Honestly the only stat that Rodgers truly ranks above his QB peers this year is interceptions. His overall numbers most closely resemble Kirk Cousins this year.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 01-18-2022 at 10:06 AM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 10:11 AM   #3145
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Here's the thing about Packers receivers. They never do well after leaving Green Bay. None of them. Adams is probably good enough to break that but I would expect this numbers to decline in any other offense. I don't like Rodgers but he's probably the one QB in the league that makes receivers look much better than they are.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 12:40 PM   #3146
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player
 
KelVarnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Apartment 5A
Exp:
Default

https://twitter.com/user/status/1483506703308292097
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 01:05 PM   #3147
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player
 
Erick Estrada's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: San Fernando Valley
Exp:
Default

Glad he's okay. I hated Akers gesture after seeing him down on the turf. NFL should fine his ass for that.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:30 PM   #3148
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The weird part with me about Rodgers getting MVP is that I have a hard time saying he's head and shoulders better than any of the other QBs this season.

Was he more valuable to his team than Joe Burrow? or Tom Brady?

I know people say the other guys have better weapons but Adams is a top 5 WR in the league, Dillion and Jones both had 800 yards which ranked them both about 20th in the NFL for RBs and Packers had a better rushing game than Tampa or Cincinnati. Rodgers has the offensive weapons to work with too.

I've never liked Brady but the guy led the league in passing yards, passing TDs, passes for 20+ yards, only took 22 sacks, and his team didn't really have any sort of running game this year.

Honestly the only stat that Rodgers truly ranks above his QB peers this year is interceptions. His overall numbers most closely resemble Kirk Cousins this year.

The simple answer is that Rodgers did what he did with an offensive line who's starters still havent played a snap together this year. The best LG in the game made his season debut last Saturday night. His #1 TE caught 18 passes before being lost for the year. It was both an amazing coaching AND QB performance this year to get what they did out of the passing game.

Voters are all quite aware of that stuff as well.

Other than that though, I agree that others are right there with AR in terms of the seasons best players.
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 03:37 PM   #3149
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Here's the thing about Packers receivers. They never do well after leaving Green Bay. None of them. Adams is probably good enough to break that but I would expect this numbers to decline in any other offense. I don't like Rodgers but he's probably the one QB in the league that makes receivers look much better than they are.
To be fair, it's pretty uncommon for WRs to put up good numbers after they leave the teams that drafted them, unless they're traded in their prime years. Rookie contracts and the franchise tag make it pretty easy for teams to keep their WRs through most of their elite production years.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:10 PM   #3150
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension
 
Sylvanfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Just outside Enemy Lines
Exp:
Default

The Packers play very slowly as well which keeps Roger's numbers down. I think they were 16th in plays run, 10th in yards and points, and 3rd in time of possession, and first in turnovers.

Basically Rogers does not put up as gawdy of numbers as other teams because he is doing more to help his defense allow 21 points per game than Burrow, Allen, Brady or Mahomes.
__________________
"Some guys like old balls"
Patriots QB Tom Brady
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:24 PM   #3151
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

Yeah the Brady/Rodgers debate is basically a total value vs. efficiency debate. Brady led Rodgers in DYAR by nearly 400 DYAR, which is a fairly huge gap. But Rodgers was the leader in DVOA.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 04:30 PM   #3152
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension
 
ResAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Exp:
Default

Which one was the leader in DVDA?
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 04:39 PM   #3153
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player
 
Senator Clay Davis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Maryland State House, Annapolis
Exp:
Default

Hillary Scott and Jenna Jameson are in a real battle for that title.
__________________
"Think I'm gonna be the scapegoat for the whole damn machine? Sheeee......."
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Senator Clay Davis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2022, 05:02 PM   #3154
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Quote:
The Seattle Seahawks have fired defensive coordinator Ken Norton Jr. and defensive passing game coordinator Andre Curtis, a significant shake-up to Pete Carroll's coaching staff on the heels of the team's worst season in more than a decade.
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...t-andre-curtis
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2022, 07:10 PM   #3155
transplant99
Fearmongerer
 
transplant99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:
Default

Before the Raiders hired Mike Mayock as their General Manager in 2019, they interviewed Trey Brown for the position.

Mayock was fired on Monday and the Raiders are interested in speaking with Brown again. Tom Pelissero of NFL Media reports that they have requested an interview with Brown, who currently works as a scout for the Bengals.

Brown worked for the Eagles as their director of college scouting before stints in both the Alliance of American Football and the XFL during their brief existences. He joined the Bengals last June.

The Raiders have also requested interviews with Patriots director of player personnel Dave Ziegler and Colts assistant G.M. Ed Dodds.
__________________
Quote:
Tkachuk is more like Marchand than the other guys though. He's really ****ing good. He's just a total butthole.
Unknown Kings fan
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transplant99 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2022, 05:15 PM   #3156
Hot_Flatus
First Line Centre
 
Hot_Flatus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Uranus
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Not overly surprising. Norton was able to turn this around somewhat each of the last 2 years, but after back to back horrendous starts to the season defensively, the Seahawks were left with no choice.
__________________
I hate to tell you this, but Iíve just launched an air biscuit
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 11:37 AM   #3157
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

Texans interviewing Josh McCown for their HC vacancy this year is as embarrassing as it was last year. Like, WTF.

Giants have found a new GM in Bills assistant GM Joe Schoen. Candidates for their HC vacancy include Flores, Quinn and Daboll, per Schefter.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:06 PM   #3158
rubecube
Franchise Player
 
rubecube's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Victoria
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Texans interviewing Josh McCown for their HC vacancy this year is as embarrassing as it was last year. Like, WTF.
McCown is actually really highly regarded around the league. The Eagles wanted him for a coordinator position last year, too.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 02:13 PM   #3159
devo22
Franchise Player
 
devo22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Austria, NOT Australia
Exp:
Default

dude has zero coaching experience. It's fine to hire him as QB coach or a position like that, and let him work his way up. But HC? Laughable. This isn't the NBA.

then again, the Panthers have just hired Ben McAdoo as their new OC, so everything is possible I guess.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:05 AM.

Calgary Flames
2021-22




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021