Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2022, 11:13 AM   #21
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
The eye test wouldn't have normalized for 5v5 vs all situations.

When you add all situations it was much closer first period. (Also the % can be misleading in small samples...3 HDCF vs 4 HDCF and it's 42.9% HDCF)

Corsi: 18 vs 20
Shots: 10 vs 11
HDCF: 3 vs 4
xGF: 0.93 vs 1.17
GF: 2 vs 0

So when you look at all situations Florida had the slight edge in Corsi, Shots, High Danger, and xGF...but it was really close and 1-2 shot/chance difference in all categories. Plus when the team is also winning 2-0 that's going to overcome those slight differences when looking at how the period went as a whole.

And I think this is a big gap in eye test vs. 5v5 advanced stats sometimes. Sometimes I'll watch a game an go "Man the Flames got outplayed that period" then check Natural Stat Trick and they have 60% 5v5 Corsi / xGF. But then you look back and they spent 5 minutes on the PK and gave up a PP goal, which makes it all make more sense.
And so many things go into an eye test.

A Florida player that gets set up in the slot but doesn't get a shot off wouldn't register as any type of shot attempt but you still cringe as a viewer.

Plus I would think it possible that a person could have a bias when it comes to anxiety of a scoring chance against being higher than the excitement for a scoring chance for skewing the eye test. This of course could be the opposite in a different viewer.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote