Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2021, 08:59 PM   #261
dying4acup
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Karlsson put up 78 points as a 21 YO.

What are the chances that Kylington has a single 78 season? I would say pretty low, but would it ever be awesome if he proves me wrong!
I think he can. Offence was never in question. Defence and decision making. He has the right coach and D-partner to guide him through that.
dying4acup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 09:20 PM   #262
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icarus View Post
Was Iggy really in beast mode? I don't remember. But he didn't seem to start to break out until the following season IIRC.

I remember riding high on the hot start but don't recall what was behind it. Would be interesting to revisit some post-mortems on that season.

I'm sure the Marc Savard/Greg Gilbert feud was just a symptom of something bigger wrong in the locker room which must have been a cause in the wheels coming off so catastrophically.
He had been a last minute invite to the team Canada training camp prior to the regular season starting, which seemed to be the catalyst for reaching a new level of play that year leading into the 02 olympics.

And Turek was really good for 15 games or so.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan Coke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 10:09 PM   #263
Loudog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Why didn't the crowd get on the sexual assault apologist duo of Kane and Toews?
I wasn't sure what to do... felt like booing the hawks every time they touched the puck
Loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:14 PM   #264
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
I was fully suckered in by that team but curious to know what some of the underlying metrics would have looked like--- clearly Iginla was in beast mode, but Turek was getting by a bit on smoke and mirrors likely
Turek and Iggy were good but they were fluking out a lot...even young me thought it wasn't sustainable

nothing like this season IMO

I look at the Flames record now and think its a bit unlucky TBH

Most of those OT losses the Flames were the better team...Preds game should have been 5-1 after the first.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:31 PM   #265
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Turek and Iggy were good but they were fluking out a lot...even young me thought it wasn't sustainable

oh I agree nothing like this season, otoh even if things seemed a bit flukey it was hard to imagine from late November 2001 how brutal the cratering would be- although I think if we had better tools at our disposal then we wouldn't have been so surprised
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 10:34 PM   #266
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blender View Post
Yes, he was. I remember a buddy saying that when you have the best scorer and the best goalie at the same time its hard not to be tops in the league. Alas, the goaltending came undone.
on the other hand heading into the playoffs in 04 that is why I felt we had a chance - we did have the best goalie and the best forward in the league

I remember doing/posting here an analysis at the time and I believe every team (at least of the modern era) with the goal scoring and GAA leader made it to at least the semifinals, and the Flames outdid even that despite what looked like long odds

but alas that was not Turek
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 12:44 AM   #267
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
on the other hand heading into the playoffs in 04 that is why I felt we had a chance - we did have the best goalie and the best forward in the league

I remember doing/posting here an analysis at the time and I believe every team (at least of the modern era) with the goal scoring and GAA leader made it to at least the semifinals, and the Flames outdid even that despite what looked like long odds

but alas that was not Turek

Oh, they had a chance. Not only that…

It was in
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 12:54 AM   #268
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

I look at the Flames record now and think its a bit unlucky TBH

Most of those OT losses the Flames were the better team...Preds game should have been 5-1 after the first.
Doesn't matter, every team gets points robbed from them.

What matters is despite that they're 12-3-5

What will matter most is how they stack up against Carolina and Florida, and the likes of that tier of teams. That will tell you how far they can go in the post season.

Toronto might be the top team they've faced. Hung with them but weren't imposing their will or controlling play 5 on 5 like they have with many other opponents.

Mind you, I'll give them that they were coming out of a lull/rut and weren't playing their best to begin with, while TO was on a burner at the time. So, despite that, the game had MTL upset vibes to it as the Flames bent but didn't break, like the Habs (3 on 3 OT isn't a good playoff simulation, so I omit the losing goal from evaluation).

In terms of teams in the west I'd be interested to see how they stack up to Vegas when they get healthier. Of course they need to be able to show they can shut down the oil with their systems too.

Great start but their mettle needs some proper tests still to ensure we have the system and parts here that will go a distance in april/may.

Show you can do the same thing vs top teams and direct playoff competition.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 12:58 AM   #269
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah yes that's right 01-02 was the SLC Olympic year and Iggy's break out season, my bad.
Old 11-25-2021, 12:58 AM   #270
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudog View Post
I wasn't sure what to do... felt like booing the hawks every time they touched the puck

The puck consented
Old 11-25-2021, 01:04 AM   #271
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
The puck consented
Yikes.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2021, 01:15 AM   #272
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yikes.
Old 11-25-2021, 01:17 AM   #273
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Toews looked frustrated all night which was good.

He deserves nothing good.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 01:23 AM   #274
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Yeah, I always remember his penalty box meltdown as being quite contrary to the ‘captain serious’ narrative that everyone was fed

Decently skilled player, but not bulletproof
Old 11-25-2021, 06:34 AM   #275
jessnuts
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
.............and barely played on the road, where they don't get non-stop last changes.
"Changes? We don't need no stinkin, Changes"
- Blazzing Saitls
jessnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jessnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 11-25-2021, 10:23 AM   #276
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Doesn't matter, every team gets points robbed from them.

What matters is despite that they're 12-3-5

What will matter most is how they stack up against Carolina and Florida, and the likes of that tier of teams. That will tell you how far they can go in the post season.

Toronto might be the top team they've faced. Hung with them but weren't imposing their will or controlling play 5 on 5 like they have with many other opponents.

Mind you, I'll give them that they were coming out of a lull/rut and weren't playing their best to begin with, while TO was on a burner at the time. So, despite that, the game had MTL upset vibes to it as the Flames bent but didn't break, like the Habs (3 on 3 OT isn't a good playoff simulation, so I omit the losing goal from evaluation).

In terms of teams in the west I'd be interested to see how they stack up to Vegas when they get healthier. Of course they need to be able to show they can shut down the oil with their systems too.

Great start but their mettle needs some proper tests still to ensure we have the system and parts here that will go a distance in april/may.

Show you can do the same thing vs top teams and direct playoff competition.
I agree on assessing vs the best teams.

But yeah, the team I want to see them against, more than any other, is Vegas. They have always struggled with Vegas' team speed, forecheck, and work ethic. So how they handle those things now, will be intriguing to see.

And the Oilers too. They have not been able to contain McDavid as well as some teams, and they need to figure it out. The teams that have really shut him down have done it with a good skating Dman. Heiskanen did a fantastic job on him, for example.

The Flames used Brodie a lot, but I found him too passive. And I don't recall who they used in game 1, but I think the answer may be Kylington.

If it were up to me, I would be prepping Kylington for the job.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-26-2021, 03:04 AM   #277
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Post game links
https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/games/2366908
http://sportsstats.cbc.ca/hockey/nhl...cap139860.html
https://scores.nbcsports.com/nhl/rec...=04&final=true
Old 11-27-2021, 12:53 AM   #278
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a great win!
Old 11-27-2021, 01:34 AM   #279
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I agree on assessing vs the best teams.

But yeah, the team I want to see them against, more than any other, is Vegas. They have always struggled with Vegas' team speed, forecheck, and work ethic. So how they handle those things now, will be intriguing to see.

And the Oilers too. They have not been able to contain McDavid as well as some teams, and they need to figure it out. The teams that have really shut him down have done it with a good skating Dman. Heiskanen did a fantastic job on him, for example.

The Flames used Brodie a lot, but I found him too passive. And I don't recall who they used in game 1, but I think the answer may be Kylington.

If it were up to me, I would be prepping Kylington for the job.
Yup. They need to figure out their McDavid deterrent. Sadly. you need a special plan of attack playing those two guys just cause those cherry pickers are 100% focused on offense, trying to get that odd man rush any chance they get.

Have a heat seeking Kylington on McDavid at all times. His stick checking work has been fantastic this year, and he's broken up different rushes without getting penalized. And that's what Heiskanen did all night for Dallas.

Shutting McDavid down is the single key to dismantling the team. Draisaitl does things too, but on his own/his own line, he doesn't do enough to make the same difference.

I'd really be curious to see what Gaudreau's line could do against the Oilers, knowing their GF/GA is top of the league. Does Tippett try to get McDavid away from that matchup again? Probably. I feel like now that we have a proper 200 foot second line set that they would line up with the Oil very well.

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good