Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-14-2021, 03:50 PM   #21
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

People don't actually think they are watching clean athletes at the Olympics, do they?

I just assumed everyone knows that the entire thing is tainted and rigged.
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 10:46 PM   #22
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/tok...pics-v79e82fbb

Technology improvements have also played a factor - but the fact that many 40 year old records set by Soviet Bloc countries are still standing despite 40 years of technological improvement in sports training and equipment and nutrition really says something about that.
Depends on the equipment. I was watching a video clip about javelins which mentioned that they re-designed the balance point of a javelin so that it could not go as far.

I wonder if other sports ran into the same issue. For instance, swimming a few years ago had that shark skin stuff everyone was wearing and I think rules got rid of it. I think those carbon fibre sole shoes may also get removed due to rules.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-18-2021, 12:20 PM   #23
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The doping tests are more like an idiot test at this point. There's all sorts of drugs you can take that will be out of your system by the time you get tested. Even then, the IOC allows absurd fluctuations in hormone levels above normal before an athlete is found to be conclusively dirty.

It's more or less a self-selecting process for drug cheats. At the highest level everyone is talented and trains beyond belief. One of two things is going on. Either the best athletes are so good that they can beat their competitors who are using drugs (the drugs btw are extremely effective and powerful), or most of the top athletes are cheating. If you don't cheat, you don't advance in many sports.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 10:39 PM   #24
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The doping tests are more like an idiot test at this point. There's all sorts of drugs you can take that will be out of your system by the time you get tested. Even then, the IOC allows absurd fluctuations in hormone levels above normal before an athlete is found to be conclusively dirty.

It's more or less a self-selecting process for drug cheats. At the highest level everyone is talented and trains beyond belief. One of two things is going on. Either the best athletes are so good that they can beat their competitors who are using drugs (the drugs btw are extremely effective and powerful), or most of the top athletes are cheating. If you don't cheat, you don't advance in many sports.
Plus you can take the drugs while out of competition and still reap the benefits during competition once they are out of your system.
One of the reasons a lot of cycling teams train in tenerife is there is one airport in and out so they know when the drug testers are coming