Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-22-2010, 09:08 PM   #461
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bonkers
Old 07-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #462
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The 2&7 newsflash music

Wow, shoulder pad city. Looks like a riders linebacker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanolic
Kinda reminds me of the big thick plastic slush-cat superhero cups from Mac's .... I think I had about 10 of each!
When I was a kid, sev used to have slurpee cups in the form of MLB team helmets. Obviously the idea was to collect all of the teams. Ahhh...the good old days.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #463
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slushcats at Macs before Frosters.

I remember when they made the change to "Froster", they gave out free tshirts or really cheap. Our elementry school was close tp the Macs, and lots of kids had them, but got in trouble for doing so, as techincally not supposed to leave the school grounds at that age.

Shoppers Drug Mart Flames calenders.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #464
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Can anyone old enough to remember describe, or if anyone has any pics of, what Calgary (and highway traffic) was like before Deerfoot Trail?

I read up on a preliminary study on 4 feasibility options for Deerfoot, basically, it was mostly the same until you got just past the calf robe bridge, and then south it had 3 other designs (being more easterly) then it currently is. I can remember one of them being about where 18th st SE is now, and running through, I think, Queensland, so, kind of far east to what it ended up being. I think the costs had more to do with land purchase than anything else.

I'll have to see if I can find that copy I ready in the archives at work...
Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #465
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricosuave View Post
Can anyone old enough to remember describe, or if anyone has any pics of, what Calgary (and highway traffic) was like before Deerfoot Trail?

I read up on a preliminary study on 4 feasibility options for Deerfoot, basically, it was mostly the same until you got just past the calf robe bridge, and then south it had 3 other designs (being more easterly) then it currently is. I can remember one of them being about where 18th st SE is now, and running through, I think, Queensland, so, kind of far east to what it ended up being. I think the costs had more to do with land purchase than anything else.

I'll have to see if I can find that copy I ready in the archives at work...
Well...no pics, but I can remember when Blackfoot was the main artery into the south end of town. The alignment was different from the river, as it went where the current road is south of the Blaackfoot truck stop and that Centex gas station. It continued on north of that old school through the residential area there, and I think joined up somewhere just before where the Alyth overpass is. It was always gridlock through there. I was just a little kid, but can remember tagging along with my dad at work, sitting in the traffic on the alyth overpass with the constant smell of the stockyards which were on the west side of the tracks. Ahhh...the good old days!

Anyone old enough to remember the trailer court that would have been NE of the Cushing bridge, along the river west of Deerfoot? Just thought of that as I was recalling the old Blackfoot trail.

Last edited by Buzzard; 07-22-2010 at 09:52 PM.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:47 PM   #466
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I got my pic taken with Kent Nilsson and Eddy Beers picking those up.
Oh, that reminds me. One day, I was walking through Chinook Centre and at A&A Records (remember them?) Gary Suter and Neil Sheehy were signing autographs and selling a new charity fundraiser the Flames were involved with.

That's right, somewhere I have a signed 45RPM record of Red Hot:

I also have it on VHS somewhere too.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #467
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Oh, that reminds me. One day, I was walking through Chinook Centre and at A&A Records (remember them?) Gary Suter and Neil Sheehy were signing autographs and selling a new charity fundraiser the Flames were involved with.

That's right, somewhere I have a signed 45RPM record of Red Hot:

I also have it on VHS somewhere too.
If you find it, let the Flames know. I had emailed them a couple years back suggesting they use this on the Jumbotron, and they said they would if they could find a good copy of it somewhere, as the master no longer exists.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:19 PM   #468
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Flames broadcasts on CFAC always started with a five second showcard blurb for Jade Palace restaurant. (Now it is Harbour City).

Wow, that is ancient. I remember "Old" Harbour City (now it's New Harbour City)
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:26 PM   #469
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

St. Louis Hotel is gone. Movie is a goldmine for some 1983 downtown Calgary. I love the serendipity of the C-Train going by. I doubt it was planned.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 07-22-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2010, 11:32 PM   #470
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
St. Louis Hotel is gone. Movie is a goldmine for some 1983 downtown Calgary. I love the serendipity of the C-Train going by. I doubt it was planned.
Considering they weren't actually filming a guy flying and they just placed him their with CGI I'd say yeah, they meant to get that shot. They could have filmed whatever they wanted and choose to use that.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #471
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Considering they weren't actually filming a guy flying and they just placed him their with CGI I'd say yeah, they meant to get that shot. They could have filmed whatever they wanted and choose to use that.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #472
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss the civil defence siren tests in the 80's
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MelBridgeman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2010, 12:30 AM   #473
teamchachi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Woodwards Food Floor @ Chinook and the crazy "parcel pickup" conveyor belt system for transporting your groceries to the curb.

Birthday parties @ Shakey's Pizza at Westbrook Mall. They had the disco version of the Star Wars them in the juke box. Awesome. Everyone got a helium balloon and it was a given that you would release it in the parking lot after the party.

Running home at lunch to watch Buckshot on TV.

Listening to Peter Maher doing commentary under the covers when my parents thought I was sleeping.

Spending all my spare time (and quarters) at Space Amusements on 17th ave and 10 st SW. I loved Galaga and Zaxxon.

Buying fake Rayban sunglasses at the "Head Shop" on Stephen Avenue Mall.

Turning 18 and hitting the Fox & Firkin on Electric Avenue for my first official beer.

teamchachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:32 AM   #474
teamchachi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Slushcats at Macs before Frosters.

I remember when they made the change to "Froster", they gave out free tshirts or really cheap. Our elementry school was close tp the Macs, and lots of kids had them, but got in trouble for doing so, as techincally not supposed to leave the school grounds at that age.

I'd think of any excuse to get my Mom to take me to Shoppers to see if the new calendars were in.

Old 07-23-2010, 12:34 AM   #475
teamchachi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
Legends. I believe.

Was great. Had my first and only personal box there at a comic shop. Probably had Punisher War Journal and Groo the Wanderer put aside.
It was in the Devinish (the brick building) directly across the street from Mt Royal Village. It was indeed called Comic Legends. I blew all my allowance there for years...

Old 07-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #476
teamchachi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I still remember this place, I think... Didn't it have all sorts of old instruments and stuff on the walls? Always went there for our hockey wrap up parties.
Mother's Pizza was an awesome chain of restaurants. Good food. Only problem was the birthdays. They would turn the lights off completely (it was already pretty dark) and you couldn't see your food until the sparklers and singing was over...

Old 07-23-2010, 03:11 AM   #477
icarus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Birthday parties at Bullwinkles.

Great entertainment as a kid. I remember the cheesy pizzas and jugs of root beer. The water fountain show in the 'intermissions' set to the music of Frank Mills' "The Dancer" and Hot Butter's "Popcorn". Bullwinkle playing the banjo. Snidley Whiplash behind bars in the corner. Bowling down the lane with the little jump at the end and the targets, and scoring blue token tickets. Playing Double Dragon to no end. Bullwinkles was awesome; Schanks South is just not the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamchachi View Post
I'd think of any excuse to get my Mom to take me to Shoppers to see if the new calendars were in.
I had a Shoppers Drug Mart Flames calendar for 2009. Was interested in getting one for 2010 but I guess the window on getting them is short. Can't believe the Flames FanAttic does not sell Flames calendars.
Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 AM   #478
Aeneas
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamchachi View Post
Woodwards Food Floor @ Chinook and the crazy "parcel pickup" conveyor belt system for transporting your groceries to the curb.

Birthday parties @ Shakey's Pizza at Westbrook Mall. They had the disco version of the Star Wars them in the juke box. Awesome. Everyone got a helium balloon and it was a given that you would release it in the parking lot after the party.

Running home at lunch to watch Buckshot on TV.

Listening to Peter Maher doing commentary under the covers when my parents thought I was sleeping.

Spending all my spare time (and quarters) at Space Amusements on 17th ave and 10 st SW. I loved Galaga and Zaxxon.

Buying fake Rayban sunglasses at the "Head Shop" on Stephen Avenue Mall.

Turning 18 and hitting the Fox & Firkin on Electric Avenue for my first official beer.
I remember many a Saturday going down to 8th Ave and playing that football "x's and o's" game with the four rollers for what seemed hours. Also "Rip Off" my other favourite game.

Then we'd eat at some fast food restaurant on 8th that had everything. Can't remember what it was called started with P I think.
Aeneas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:54 AM   #479
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

- Trudeaumania
- welcoming draft dodgers
- Canada Savings Bonds paying 20%
- Reporter, Ralph Klein, covering City Hall
- picnics at Glenmore Park
flamesfever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:03 AM   #480
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Talking about slurpees/slushcats/frosters...who else remembers when the slurpee machines were behind the counter? You had to ask them to make you one. And oh man...if you wanted a 'mix' good luck getting it
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time