Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-03-2024, 07:16 AM   #3881
Geraldsh
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not as strong as a potato but more longevity. We have nickel mines and diamond mines so I don’t know why we are waiting for china to make them.
Geraldsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:11 AM   #3882
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I have successfully got my work to book a trip to Toronto for me on April 8th.

I land at Pearson at 1:20pm eastern time, and I need to get ~45 KM south, and parked somewhere before 3:20pm. Not sure if anyone has any suggestions?

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8

I know I am very much running the risk of getting delayed, and I guess if it doesn't work out I have to wait 20 years for Calgary.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:36 AM   #3883
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the spirit of this being the science news thread.... have you tried looking into how to create a portal? That may solve your schedule dilemma!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 09:47 AM   #3884
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Ongoing important Science news thread

2 hours to drive 45km does sound like it’s cutting it pretty close. I’d suggest biking or jogging.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 11:17 AM   #3885
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
2 hours to drive 45km does sound like it’s cutting it pretty close. I’d suggest biking or jogging.
Well I could go for a 20 KM drive to the Beach, then a 14 KM swim down the shoreline of Lake Ontario. Like I said, I am fully expecting to get to see an eclipse in Calgary in 20 years. But when I got invited to a meeting in Toronto that week, I arranged the flight schedule so that I can get out their just in time for the eclipse. And if I miss it, that would kinda suck, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I'm travelling alone for work, so I should be able to get a single seat in the first 15 rows with just a light backpack, and will have a preferred member car rental. I assume if the plane lands on time at 1:20 I'll be in the car by ~1:40. Google is predicting 30-40 minute drive to a mall parking lot inside the path of totality. ~ 1 hour to spare for the various things that could go wrong.

I was just wondering if anyone would have any advice. would the 407 or 403 south from the airport be better at 2:00 in the afternoon?

If I don't get away, how good is a 99.4% eclipse at the Toronto Airport, vs a 100% eclipse in Oakville.?

Anywhere good in Oakville to Park for free for 30 mintues?
Old 02-08-2024, 11:47 AM   #3886
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
Well I could go for a 20 KM drive to the Beach, then a 14 KM swim down the shoreline of Lake Ontario. Like I said, I am fully expecting to get to see an eclipse in Calgary in 20 years. But when I got invited to a meeting in Toronto that week, I arranged the flight schedule so that I can get out their just in time for the eclipse. And if I miss it, that would kinda suck, but it wouldn't hurt my feelings.

I'm travelling alone for work, so I should be able to get a single seat in the first 15 rows with just a light backpack, and will have a preferred member car rental. I assume if the plane lands on time at 1:20 I'll be in the car by ~1:40. Google is predicting 30-40 minute drive to a mall parking lot inside the path of totality. ~ 1 hour to spare for the various things that could go wrong.

I was just wondering if anyone would have any advice. would the 407 or 403 south from the airport be better at 2:00 in the afternoon?

If I don't get away, how good is a 99.4% eclipse at the Toronto Airport, vs a 100% eclipse in Oakville.?

Anywhere good in Oakville to Park for free for 30 mintues?
Plan a route with Google for that time of day on a Moday to get an idea what would be the best route. I do wonder though, if all of Toronto will be heading that way that day.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 11:54 AM   #3887
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Plan a route with Google for that time of day on a Moday to get an idea what would be the best route. I do wonder though, if all of Toronto will be heading that way that day.
Yeah that's what I did, I used time of day and Google said use the 427, usually 28-40mins.
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 12:08 PM   #3888
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

My wife was there a few months ago and the 403 and 407 were jammed, so she went down to Lakeshore. She said locals hate it because of all the stop and go, but when the freeways are stop and go...anyway, it turned out to be less busy and a lot nicer drive. Maybe keep it in mind as a bail out route.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 12:09 PM   #3889
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Totality doesn’t last very long in Oakville. I would maybe keep driving south as much as you could to get closer to the centre of the path. I am sure once it begin people will start slowing down or parking wherever they are. St. Catharines is an hour away, so maybe make that your target, and pull over at 3:15 or something.
Old 02-08-2024, 12:46 PM   #3890
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
The difference is night and day. You don't see the corona at 99.4%.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cube Inmate For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2024, 12:57 PM   #3891
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Totality doesn’t last very long in Oakville. I would maybe keep driving south as much as you could to get closer to the centre of the path. I am sure once it begin people will start slowing down or parking wherever they are. St. Catharines is an hour away, so maybe make that your target, and pull over at 3:15 or something.
Will depend on traffic, The parking lot I was looking at said 50 seconds. Might Aim for Burlington or Hamilton if I am way ahead, I could get as much as 2 minutes. But if the plane does land on time, and I get the car fast, I will probably drive until 3:00 max then find somewhere to park with 15+ minutes to spare.
Old 02-08-2024, 01:02 PM   #3892
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

I’m headed to Texas to try and catch this eclipse. 4 mins of totality there!

Hoping for clear skies

surferguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:09 PM   #3893
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I visited Cheyenne Wyoming to view the last eclipse a few years ago. Small city in the middle of nowhere and roads everywhere were a parking lot.

Plan to arrive the day before.

I guarantee traffic will be an absolute gong show. You'll be watching it out the window of your rental car while stopped in traffic.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 01:14 PM   #3894
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug View Post
I visited Cheyenne Wyoming to view the last eclipse a few years ago. Small city in the middle of nowhere and roads everywhere were a parking lot.

I guarantee traffic will be an absolute gong show. You'll be watching it out the window of your rental car while stopped in traffic.
Especially in such a populated place as Toronto and area. We got into Idaho Falls the day before the eclipse, the place was packed.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2024, 02:16 PM   #3895
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by firebug View Post

That's kind of the answer I was expecting.

Not sure why, I was booking flights to Toronto on April 9th, remembered there was an eclipse coming, saw it was the day before, so I made up an excuse with work to send me out 1 day earlier.

I'll see what I can do to get as far south as possible as fast as possible.
Old 02-08-2024, 02:46 PM   #3896
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Suppose you could fly out early and eat the hotel costs and the Monday as a vacation day, if your company is flexible enough to allow that.
Old 02-08-2024, 04:41 PM   #3897
firebug
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Suppose you could fly out early and eat the hotel costs and the Monday as a vacation day, if your company is flexible enough to allow that.
Yep, if it costs you $1K out of pocket for the hotel room and other arrangements it'll be worth, it I promise you.

Totality is an absolutely unreal experience.

~P^2
firebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firebug For This Useful Post:

Tags
biology , chemistry , physics , research , science