Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2024, 08:29 AM   #141
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoman View Post
Agreed on the in-game inconsistency. Baffling. That said, to have three straight losses on 1. A video review like I’ve never seen before 2. A behind the net ricochet like I’ve never seen before and 3. A deflected skip shot on a one on two with under a minute to go…that’s a really tough stretch of luck. Gotta create your own luck though and our refusal to shoot on slot chances is just one area that has to change in that regard.
Almost like the hockey gods want calgary to get the hint.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 08:54 AM   #142
Scrambler
One of the Nine

Exp:

My blood boiled with that 4th goal when it happened. Cooler head prevails this morning. Missed opportunity for sure but what can you do. Past three games the Flames have been victims of their own fate; bad bounces, bad calls, etc, all while playing pretty good.

Next two games are key I think, lose one or both before the break and the tank is really on. Win both and go into the break with a positive spin, keep the faint hope clause going.
Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 08:58 AM   #143
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

That last goal - I’ve never seen a deflection off a pad continue to the net so hard. There was zero time to react to the change of direction.

I didn’t see any goals that were Markstrom’s fault myself. He and Binnington were both beaten on great shots plus Markstrom had the one piece of bad luck (whereas a number of open nets on Binnington were plain missed by Mangiapane, Backlund and Zary).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:49 AM   #144
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Someone on the forum tried to make a case to me the other week that this team was solid defensively, or at least not in the lower end of the pack based on some advanced metrics.

I still vehemently disagree. The eye test can't be ignored with this group.. nothing about their structure instills confidence. Probably because there is little structure to be observed.
Watching the game on TV is totally different than watching the stats on the monitor. Flames D is soft and a push-over in their own zones. It's like they're playing to block shots and getting hurt rather than doling out the hurt. Then, in the offensive zones, they don't have point guys that can blast the damn puck!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 09:55 AM   #145
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

No complaints with Huska, but it was disappointing to see Oesterle out there in the last minute, as he hasn't been very good at all this season, and of course the puck finds a way to touch him.

In the post game Huska was more concerned with what got them to that spot, poor gap control, which still makes me question why Oesterle was out there then. Maybe more.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:20 AM   #146
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm not cheering for losses but... I'm not mad.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 11:37 AM   #147
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Our bottom D pairing is replacement level. It's not their fault. They should be in the AHL.

We lack #1 D, and a #1 forward line, and there are no game-breakers on this team.

Our goaltending is way better than expected and has floated us well above where we should be in the standings.

As a fan, I'm fine with trading our middle of the pack guys for assets that have the potential to fill those holes.

This team has pluck thanks to it's youth, but isn't going anywhere.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 11:50 AM   #148
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
I'm not cheering for losses but... I'm not mad.
-Regulation loss against a team we're chasing
-Huberdeau/Sharangovich continues to produce
-Weegar beginning his run at 20 goals
-Hanifin ups his trade value
-Kadri continues his strong play
-Markstrom made some big saves, he'll be fine

Don't threaten me with a good time.
Old 01-24-2024, 12:37 PM   #149
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

you make your own like to a certain degree but the Flames have the worst luck ever...like half the goals against are flukes or off our own guys