Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-07-2023, 05:21 PM   #121
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

While to some extent, a lot of the best movies I've ever watched were from the mid 2000s (V for Vendetta, Kill Bill, Shutter Island, The Dark Knight, Return of the King, Inception, Interstellar, 500 days of summer, and Brokeback Mountain come to mind as some of my favez), I actually reject the idea that filmmaking his declined.

Here are the things I would say have changed on the ~1.5 decades since The Dark Knight dropped:

- my transition into adulthood. I don't go to the movies with my group of friends anymore. I don't dream of asking my crush to x movie. The reality is, movies are no longer the default thing to do, they're a thing to do. If we're invested in a series, for instance the MCU, we might still make time for them, but then we have to go online and hear about how much people hate superhero movies, even though Infinity War / Endgame were probably two of the best experiences of the last decade. You're treated like a pleb for enjoying them because they have CGI or one-liners.

- the availability of things to do. I can pull out my phone and search for creative activities on the spot. Fifteen years ago most places to hang out did not even have a website or google review.

- this is the big one to me, but the limitation of the feature film format makes movies feel like a waste of time. I don't want to wade through 9 mediocre movies to find one subtitled masterpiece from the Cannes Film Festival. It's tedious. Movies are rarely long enough to create poignancy, because the intermission does not exist. Even "long" movies tend to be long because of directors self-indulging on action sequences due to massive budgets, not because the contents were meant to be long. How often do we leave a movie and say "yeah... okay... that was fun.. but couldn't they have added another fourty minutes to actually pad out the plot" or "yeah... okah... that was boring... I liked some parts but i wish x or y scene did not drag" or "they cut x or y scene from the book... totally changed the tone and meaning of that scene!"

that is the reality with movies... unless executed to perfection, they are not the right length for what they are trying to convey. They NEVER have been. Not in the 70s, 80s, 90s, 00s, 10s. But prior to the 00s they were the only "serious" medium to watch something. And then the HBO and Streaming happened. Shows like The Sopranos, The Wire, The Americans, Breaking Bad, Sherlock, The first four seasons of Game of Thrones before it deviated from the books, Agents of Shield Seasons 2-5, Queen's Gambit, Doom Patrol, True Detective ... the list really goes on forever. We saw what could be done in fiction that wasn't necessarily needing extended action scenes to be rivetting, yet wasn't limited by an arbitrary 97 minute decree that wasn't even remotely sufficient to really tell an overarching plot worthy of its writers' vision.

The Golden Age of TV is why movies have lost their lustre. Novels can actually be adapted without lost detail. Original works don't need A-list celebrities/directors to be massive hits. There's still a lot of trash out there, but at least if something is good, I can spent four straight weekends binging it, instead of just a fleeting friday evening. Even if I waded through nine uninteresting first episodes, the pauoff four that tenth first episode exuding quality is orders of magnitude more worthwhile.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 08-07-2023 at 05:28 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 10:50 AM   #122
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Songwriting and skill at playing an instrument are only loosely related. Plenty of songwriters can't play well, and plenty of technically proficient musicians can't write well. I'd rather hear a good song played sloppily, or sequenced and not "played" at all, than some turgid jazz or speed metal show-off creating intricate but ultimately masturbatory compositions lacking impactful emotive components.

Can I recognize amazing musicianship? Certainly, especially vocalists, as a great singer can elevate a song from decent to amazing. Yet if the core of what they are performing is hollow, it doesn't matter how well it is performed.
Old 08-09-2023, 03:04 PM   #123
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I feel like movies have a lot more competition and aren't always where some of the best ideas and talent first land. There's been TV shows in the last decade or two, which are far better than some of the biggest movies during the same time frame.

But it's laughable to think there's been nothing of note, movie wise, since certain titles like Jackie Brown or the Dark Knight. Like, how does that thought even form in your brain??
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 03:15 PM   #124
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

When long form podcasts get more consumers than theatrically released films, it's time that the industry take a long hard look in the mirror. There are plenty of excellent films still being made, but not enough.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:06 PM   #125
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think it’s just over saturation. There are dozens of great films on every streaming service. It takes me an hour to pick one, and normally by the time I do I’ll just settle on the latest show I’m watching instead.

What’s been lost are the lower budget indie films, or if those types of films are released it’s straight to the streaming platform, which loses its lustre for me as a traditional movie goer/blockbuster card holder.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 05:19 PM   #126
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Also, I’d argue the quality of production has migrated from cinema to series and short series, ala Queen’s Gambit, Game of Thrones, White Lotus, etc. The quality of series now absolutely blows away 10-20 years ago by comparison.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 10:08 PM   #127
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'd argue that Howard The Duck was the true, last great movie.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 06:17 AM   #128
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
I'd argue that Howard The Duck was the true, last great movie.
Go on then….

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 09:50 AM   #129
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post

What’s been lost are the lower budget indie films, or if those types of films are released it’s straight to the streaming platform, which loses its lustre for me as a traditional movie goer/blockbuster card holder.
I really think the state of indies is more or less unchanged in contrast to mid budget studio movie that the indie director could easily transition to.

Take Nolan, he makes Memento for under 10 mil, gets buzz, and follows it up with a 46 mil budget Insomnia.

Now he'd make Memento and be hired to helm Untitled Marvel Project slated for release in 2029.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post: