Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2021, 12:56 PM   #61
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Should parents be responsible for other forms of homicide?

- Suicide where they missed the signs?
- Vehicular homicide where they purchased a vehicle for a child that subsequently killed people through DUI, incompetence, etc?
BoLevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:00 PM   #62
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Should BoLevi constantly troll by purposely extrapolating ridiculous hypotheticals from nuanced, contextually complex situations?
Old 12-04-2021, 01:01 PM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Should BoLevi constantly troll by purposely extrapolating ridiculous hypotheticals from nuanced, contextually complex situations?
You just try and stop him!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #64
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoLevi View Post

- Vehicular homicide where they purchased a vehicle for a child that subsequently killed people through DUI, incompetence, etc?
Can you present your full opinion first as opposed to just asking questions.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #65
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

This is from today. Yes, this is real. Congressman from Kentucky. That country has a sickness and it's not going to get better any time soon. It's probably going to get a lot worse.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1467197523127422979
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 01:24 PM   #66
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes and they are already if they are grossly negligent, if you know your son is drunk and you give them the keys or if you know your kid is cutting but you dont bother to call an ambulance
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 01:25 PM   #67
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
I'm able to comprehend just fine, you just made a silly comparison.

The law and school code of conduct are different.

It's why Rittenhouse wouldn't have been able to carry that gun onto school property.
You don’t comprehend, because the comment wasn’t about the law and the code of conduct, it’s about the culture that informs both of those things. Don’t you owe someone $5000? Maybe pay up before taking another stab at taking about something you haven’t a clue about.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #68
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

What the parents did wrong, where they were grossly negligent is by not informing the school the kid had a gun and taking the gun away from the kid at the school then driving home and cleaning out every other gun and putting them in a secure place, they knew he was thinking about going on a spree as the mum texted him to stop when they announced an active shooter without a name at his school, she knew it was her kid shooting up the school without being told the name of the shooter.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:32 PM   #69
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
This is from today. Yes, this is real. Congressman from Kentucky. That country has a sickness and it's not going to get better any time soon. It's probably going to get a lot worse.

The US is broken beyond repair at this point
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #70
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:

That’s insane.

Vaccines are dangerous, but automatic weapons in the hands of kids? Totally fine.
Tron_fdc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:45 PM   #71
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Can you present your full opinion first as opposed to just asking questions.
I'm taking my time assessing the relative merits of the various thoughts and opinions surrounding this "complex and nuanced" issue.

I'm satisfied with contemplating for a period of time rather than working myself into a tizzy. People here enjoy being apoplectic about this or that and so end up anchored to a position. A lack of objectivity and a whole bunch of goal seeking on the facts follows. The Kyle Rittenhouse thread is a good example of that, where people went to bizarre lengths to rationalize their incorrect pre conceived notions.
Old 12-04-2021, 01:57 PM   #72
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

This is cult behaviour.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:59 PM   #73
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
You don’t comprehend, because the comment wasn’t about the law and the code of conduct, it’s about the culture that informs both of those things. Don’t you owe someone $5000? Maybe pay up before taking another stab at taking about something you haven’t a clue about.
I comprehend just fine and no I won the bet maybe you didn't comprehend that. Also don't know why you make things personal? By now I thought after your other accounts chill cosby and strombad were banned you'd have learned by now. This is the post you replied to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Sorry, it looks like they caught him searching for ammo on his phone. I think that should be suspendable, pending further review.

https://www.npr.org/2021/12/03/10611...oxford-charged
Like I said I comprehend just fine, its you who said that if Rittenhouse could legally have a gun do you think a search could warrant any punishment. So yes looks like your comparison was silly.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #74
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
This is cult behaviour.
Yes, you can be pretty sure they also belong to a church.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 02:08 PM   #75
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
I'm taking my time assessing the relative merits of the various thoughts and opinions surrounding this "complex and nuanced" issue.
Or, just possibly, you already have an opinion and you are trying to guide people into it by twisting the Socratic method. If your conclusion isn't some version of "this a slippery slope that endangers liberty", I will entirely flabbergasted.

If you were really unbiased and looking for other people's thoughts, you wouldn't have picked the specific examples you did to "question". Try not being constantly ingenuous, it's tiring and, worse, boring.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:12 PM   #76
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm satisfied with contemplating for a period of time rather than working myself into a tizzy. People here enjoy being apoplectic about this or that and so end up anchored to a position. A lack of objectivity and a whole bunch of goal seeking on the facts follows. The Kyle Rittenhouse thread is a good example of that, where people went to bizarre lengths to rationalize their incorrect pre conceived notions.
That isn’t what you posted. You were asking people if parents should be held responsible for a variety of things. You were asking people to speculate of facts not known.

So what is your position on parental responsibility for the actions you asked about in your post.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:13 PM   #77
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
Or, just possibly, you already have an opinion and you are trying to guide people into it by twisting the Socratic method. If your conclusion isn't some version of "this a slippery slope that endangers liberty", I will entirely flabbergasted.

If you were really unbiased and looking for other people's thoughts, you wouldn't have picked the specific examples you did to "question". Try not being constantly ingenuous, it's tiring and, worse, boring.
You're disagreeing with comments I have not even made
Old 12-04-2021, 02:17 PM   #78
BoLevi
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
That isn’t what you posted. You were asking people if parents should be held responsible for a variety of things. You were asking people to speculate of facts not known.

So what is your position on parental responsibility for the actions you asked about in your post.
I haven't decided yet.

Or more accurately maybe we should revisit the assumptions we made in the past on these issues.
Old 12-04-2021, 02:23 PM   #79
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I haven't decided yet.

Or more accurately maybe we should revisit the assumptions we made in the past on these issues.
Or you are waiting for others to post their opinions so you can criticize them rather than stake out your own claims.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 02:33 PM   #80
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

Such a strange take.

I think even in this case, where the parents appear to have actually been very negligent, the prosecution will still have to present a rock solid case to establish that their negligence directly lead or contributed to the kid going to school with a gun and shooting people.

We already know there are mental issues at play, and defense will obviously argue it that way too.

I'm no lawyer, but one could conclude that in order to establish a legal case for these charges, the burden of guilt will need to be definite.

Which is why I'm fine with it, and it is about time we focus on holding parents responsible for the actions of their child as they have by far the greatest impact.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post: