Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #301
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Someone want to explain that from a legal perspective?

I assume both the defense and prosecution were able to exclude jury members for various reasons, and then they had 18 left?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:35 AM   #302
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I literally can't stop laughing.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #303
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
How is this typically handled? Did they just happen to have a raffle drum in the courtroom?
It sounds like yes. There's 18 jurors in attendance, and then 6 are randomly chosen to not partake in the actual decision. The only unusual aspect is that it's not normally the accused that pulls the names from the drum. Apparently it's unusual to have the defendant draw the names, but it's not against the rules either:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...urors-81191279

Quote:
There’s no prohibition on having the defendant draw the numbers of alternate jurors, but the general practice is to have the clerk of courts do it, said Ion Meyn, an assistant professor at the University of Wisconsin Law School.

“This is not really a well-litigated area,” Meyn said.

If it is common practice for that judge, prosecutors may decide it’s not worth objecting to, Meyn said.
Typically, there's 20 jurors to start, but 2 have already been dismissed in this case.

Quote:
The Rittenhouse jury pool had started at 20, but one juror was dismissed for health reasons and another was let go after he told a joke related to the case to a bailiff.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 11:37 AM   #304
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Jambois said alternates were designated by picking numbers from a tumbler but the clerk of courts pulled the numbers from it, not Jensen.

“I’ve never heard of a defendant pulling the names,” Jambois said. “That’s done by a member of the court.”

Julius Kim, a former Milwaukee County assistant district attorney, said he’s never seen a judge allow a defendant to draw the numbers to determine who the final members of a jury will be.

“It’s not unusual to select alternates by lot,” Kim said. ”(But) I’ve never seen a judge allow a defendant to draw those names. That might be a little unconventional but there’s nothing wrong with it that I could really see."

Milwaukee-based defense attorney Tom Grieve also said he’s never seen a defendant do that, “but it's a shoulder shrug for me.”

“I don’t really care," Grieve said. "The point is they have some system to arrive at 12 jurors. It’s certainly unusual but I don’t see anything wrong with it.”

There’s no prohibition on having the defendant draw the numbers of alternate jurors, but the general practice is to have the clerk of courts do it, said Ion Meyn, an assistant professor at the University of Wisconsin Law School.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...urors-81191279

I would assumed there were only 12 jurors to begin with, but I guess they can exclude at random up to the end to get down to 12.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:39 AM   #305
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Actually seems like a decent idea to have 18 sit through the trial, do a raffle to remove 6, and then go with the 12 remaining for the final verdict.

Kinda dumb to make the defendant do it though. Makes it seem like a spectacle.
Old 11-16-2021, 11:40 AM   #306
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Someone want to explain that from a legal perspective?

I assume both the defense and prosecution were able to exclude jury members for various reasons, and then they had 18 left?
You would exclude jurors at the beginning before the trial starts. Both sides would typically be allowed to choose a certain number of jurors to exclude from the initial large pool. Many jurors can exclude themselves too, for various reasons.

Then you have your 20 jurors who hear the case. Then it gets whittled down, apparently via lottery system, to the final 12 that decide the case. That's a lot of randomness to insert into the system IMO. At the start of the trial both sides have a say in who is on the jury. Then the lottery system could randomly result in a jury made up of almost all jurors favorable to one side.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 11:42 AM   #307
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Fair enough. I would imagine the 18 that are left have been picked over by both sides, especially with such a high profile case.

The randomness isn't an issue, is it?. Not a lot of room for manipulation if you just get excluded by a completely random event that nobody can anticipate.
Old 11-16-2021, 12:07 PM   #308
OptimalTates
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

There was 20 to start. One was dismissed for health reasons, the other made a Jacob Blake joke that got him removed.

Nevermind, Blankall's on it.
OptimalTates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:10 PM   #309
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
There was 20 to start. One was dismissed for health reasons,the other made a Jacob Blake joke that got him removed.

Nevermind, Blankall's on it.
Which this judge hilariously asked the guy to tell again.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:11 PM   #310
Mayer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
It does look a little too cozy, what do you think the jurors may be getting from this. It is bad optics for someone that's on trial for murder.

I don't think Rittenhouse will be doing much time if any, even if he does get convicted on one or some charge there will most likely be an appeal.
The other thing to note is that when this picture was taken, the jury had been asked to leave the courtroom, so they wouldn't have observed that. And if they follow the guidelines of the Judge to not read about or talk to anyone about the trial, then they wouldn't have seen the picture at all.

I am beginning to question the moral character of those who cheer for Vancouver.
Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:14 PM   #311
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think allowing him to draw the jurors compromises the integrity of the jury, but it does (combined with the cozy photo) create a positive image of the defendant as being helpful, trustworthy, and engaged in justice, an image that is at the heart of his defense. It's fine for the defense attorneys to paint that picture, but the judge seems to be doing his best to help out which I don't believe should be his role. I think that is an issue.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 11-16-2021 at 12:17 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 12:23 PM   #312
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How is this typically handled? Did they just happen to have a raffle drum in the courtroom?
Who doesnt? I've got a Raffle Drum right here! You never know when you're going to need one for a raffle emergency!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 12:24 PM   #313
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Who doesnt? I've got a Raffle Drum right here! You never know when you're going to need one for a raffle emergency!
Now you've gone and reminded me of my pocket sized disco ball.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:29 PM   #314
fulham
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Which this judge hilariously asked the guy to tell again.

So now that its clear the evidence will exonerate Rittenhouse, all thats left is trying to make it out to be a sham trial. Very trump-esque tactic.

The judge wanting to confirm what was said so he could kick the juror out is now- "The judge wanted to laugh again at the inappropriate joke, so he asked the juror to repeat it for the lolz before he kicked him out"
fulham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #315
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulham View Post
So now that its clear the evidence will exonerate Rittenhouse, all thats left is trying to make it out to be a sham trial. Very trump-esque tactic.

The judge wanting to confirm what was said so he could kick the juror out is now- "The judge wanted to laugh again at the inappropriate joke, so he asked the juror to repeat it for the lolz before he kicked him out"
Where did I say any of that?
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:46 PM   #316
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Now you've gone and reminded me of my pocket sized disco ball.
You bring the Disco Ball, I'll bring the Raffle Drum. We can meet at The Legion.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2021, 12:47 PM   #317
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You bring the Disco Ball, I'll bring the Raffle Drum. We can meet at The Legion.
And it will still be less weird than this trial.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 12:49 PM   #318
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And it will still be less weird than this trial.
We'd probably run into that Judge if it was Wing night.

Old 11-16-2021, 01:10 PM   #319
wwkayaker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Pre-party drinks around the arcade game?
wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 01:12 PM   #320
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwkayaker View Post
Pre-party drinks around the arcade game?
Shuffle Board!

Tags
guns , kenoshawisconsin , usa