Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2020, 08:30 PM   #121
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Tomorrow & Wednesday don't surprise me much, considering it's nuking out.

I was there today, and lasted front/back/larch/back/front, & home. Just pandemonium, too many people.
It was busy (as expected). I just stayed on the front side, though. Was worried I'd get to the back and it'd take forever to get back out front. Conditions were good, though. Booked for Wednesday and it should be awesome.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:31 PM   #122
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tomorrow & Wednesday don't surprise me much, considering it's nuking out.

I was there today, and lasted front/back/larch/back/front, & home. Just pandemonium, too many people.
Any summit? The chutes off the summit were amazing on Saturday with little snow. Mostly wind blown. But we did 5 laps of knee to thigh.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:32 PM   #123
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I did mine. Tomorrow wednesday, then a couple next week. Almost wonder if it's going to be worth what will no doubt be an awful drive.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 08:34 PM   #124
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, I did mine. Tomorrow wednesday, then a couple next week. Almost wonder if it's going to be worth what will no doubt be an awful drive.
I’d be on the road about 430. Get to the parking lot and have a nap.

Further to this it’s going to be ridiculous. Things are going to be shut down in the main area. People kept in the parking lot.

Last edited by Weitz; 12-21-2020 at 08:58 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #125
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'll be more like 5:15, but yeah. I'll probably pay for parking.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 12-21-2020, 08:59 PM   #126
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Any summit? The chutes off the summit were amazing on Saturday with little snow. Mostly wind blown. But we did 5 laps of knee to thigh.
Vis was meh, and was much more chopped. Did find some pow, in a few faithful fishing holes.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 09:12 PM   #127
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

The reservation system is much needed. They'll work through some kinks (passholder priority) and everyone will stop complaining. We tried on Sunday and got turned around at the hill. Stopped at Nakiska on the way home to find pleasant snow and no lines but it would have been nice to not drive all the way to Louise first.

COP's reservation system was a wreck at first but as soon as they capped it a bit I thought it worked well. Well until they pulled the rails and ruined everything...
kevman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:18 AM   #128
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

we checked out the Lake louise campground and we're wondering if anyone knows what those residence houses near the campground are? I know some are hostels and staff accommodations but others had pretty high end vehicles in front. Are any of them residences?
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:30 AM   #129
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
we checked out the Lake louise campground and we're wondering if anyone knows what those residence houses near the campground are? I know some are hostels and staff accommodations but others had pretty high end vehicles in front. Are any of them residences?
Yeah that’s the Pinnacle. Know a prominent family who lives in one of them. Like any of the Banff/Jasper park homes, there is the requirement “need to reside”.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:35 AM   #130
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do you need reservations for Sunshine? I was planning on trying to go tomorrow. Their website seems overloaded right now, so I can't see if reservations are required.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:44 AM   #131
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Do you need reservations for Sunshine? I was planning on trying to go tomorrow. Their website seems overloaded right now, so I can't see if reservations are required.
Some friends left as 6 am this morning. By the time they got there they got turned away. Took almost 3 hours.
Old 12-22-2020, 09:46 AM   #132
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Some friends left as 6 am this morning. By the time they got there they got turned away. Took almost 3 hours.
it is posts like this that make me doubly happy that my wife got us a Nakiska family pass.

An assured day of skiing at Nakiska is better than what your friends just did, and LL is now requiring reservations which sell out immediately.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 09:51 AM   #133
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Just a bit busy going to Sunshine:
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 10:30 AM   #134
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow that is a really slow drive but not unexpected based on awful road conditions. I was at Sunshine yesterday and luckily the roads were perfect going out there. It was a standard 1.5 hour drive. I left at 6:30 and pulled into the parking lot at 7:55. Gondola line was really long though and we didn't get our first run until 9:30.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2020, 03:16 PM   #135
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why were they turned away? Didn't make reservation?
Old 12-22-2020, 03:19 PM   #136
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why were they turned away? Didn't make reservation?
They closed the road because they were full.
Old 12-22-2020, 04:53 PM   #137
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll say this, for people going to Louise tomorrow, you're still fine to get parking if you're there by 8:30 or so. I don't think I'd want to get there much after 9, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 04:56 PM   #138
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I'll say this, for people going to Louise tomorrow, you're still fine to get parking if you're there by 8:30 or so. I don't think I'd want to get there much after 9, though.
I'm way too lazy for an early start. I'm going to go for noon...get there and score a great parking spot and start riding when everyone goes for lunch. Take no breaks and have a good day, plus a sleep in. #seasonpasslife
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2020, 05:03 PM   #139
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeeeeeah, I'd be with you if it wasn't the holidays, but I'm not sure you'll get that parking spot without a search. And given that a lot of the day is spent standing in lines, the late start doesn't allow as many laps as usual. I went 830 to 3pm minus 45 minutes for lunch and did I think 9.
Old 12-22-2020, 07:32 PM   #140
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Yeeeeeah, I'd be with you if it wasn't the holidays, but I'm not sure you'll get that parking spot without a search. And given that a lot of the day is spent standing in lines, the late start doesn't allow as many laps as usual. I went 830 to 3pm minus 45 minutes for lunch and did I think 9.
You could be right for sure. I'm putting my money on Banff and Louise locals getting to the hill early for the best runs and leaving when it gets busy, thus freeing up a spot for me to park. Could end up screwing me over, but I usually have good luck with this strategy. With COVID, I also like eating in the car at 11 on my way there since you can't eat in the lodges.