Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2017, 04:12 PM   #221
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimbl420 View Post
It's a grey area. I know many people that have met their partners at work. Some after hooking up at work functions. I was my wife's subordinate when we started dating, better lock her up and brand her as a sexual predator now.
Was her first action to ask to #### you on her desk? Do you not understand the difference of hooking up at a work function after I assume conversation and flirtation and asking to masterbate in front of your production assistant in the middle of work?

I'm not splitting hairs here am I.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #222
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You can't in a work place ask to #### your coworker at work in the office without any other relationship. If you ask to #### your coworker at work your should be fired.

You can't walk up to a stranger on the street and say Nice shoes wanna ####?
I agree you should be fired. I don't agree it's criminal.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #223
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Was her first action to ask to #### you on her desk? Do you not understand the difference of hooking up at a work function after I assume conversation and flirtation and asking to masterbate in front of your production assistant in the middle of work?

I'm not splitting hairs here am I.
no you're just assuming none of this happened.
Grimbl420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #224
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I agree you should be fired. I don't agree it's criminal.
Why the difference?
Old 11-10-2017, 04:16 PM   #225
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
no you're just assuming none of this happened.
Let's see what Louis CK thinks

Quote:
These stories are true. At the time, I said to myself that what I did was okay because I never showed a woman my dick without asking first, which is also true. But what I learned later in life, too late, is that when you have power over another person, asking them to look at your dick isn’t a question. It’s a predicament for them. The power I had over these women is that they admired me. And I wielded that power irresponsibly.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:17 PM   #226
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I understand people here are from various different locations so I certainly do not purport to tell anyone what they can or cannot do, but anybody here in Alberta should go read this page:

https://www.albertahumanrights.ab.ca...arassment.aspx

Most jurisdictions will have similarly available resources.

It seems like there is a lot of misinformation out there unfortunately.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:18 PM   #227
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Let's see what Louis CK thinks
so you know for a fact there was no flirting going on between them.

- this is the problem with the court of public opinion. We do not have all the facts.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:19 PM   #228
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
so you know for a fact there was no flirting going on between them.
No but I know that Louis CK believes what he did was harasssment.
Old 11-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #229
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
No but I know that Louis CK believes what he did was harasssment.
and I don't disagree with him, and like silver said his actions at work are grounds for dismissal as it was harassment. But hardly criminal
Old 11-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #230
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Why the difference?
I can tell my boss to fata off if I want, too. I'll get fired for that as well. Doesn't make it criminal.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:30 PM   #231
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I can tell my boss to fata off if I want, too. I'll get fired for that as well. Doesn't make it criminal.
Based on what I've read today depending how your boss takes it and if they are traumatized, it could be.

I agree with you, inappropriate, gross, weird etc, but it isn't criminal.
AFireInside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:35 PM   #232
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
This kind of stuff is part of the problem.

Why do you feel the need to stifle discussion and insult people?

Not to mention your post isn’t even consistent for someone who is a know it all. How can you possibly manage wanted vs unwanted advances? Are you a precog?

These types of civil, respectful discussions should be encouraged. It’s real ####ty that some people use these type of events to feel morally superior and berate others. Why does anyone feel the need to take sides? What are you accomplishing?
There's some posters in this thread clearly being obtuse. Consent in any form is a grey area. So there's no way to come up with a strict definition of what's acceptable or not.

Anyone defending what Louis CK has done is in the wrong. I have not mentioned anyone personally or called anyone names.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #233
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Three of the women did not consent. They didn't explicitly say no because they thought it was a joke. That doesn't equal consent and still falls within the realm of criminal sexual harassment. I can't walk up to a woman and ask if she wants to see me jerk off and then if she does a nervous giggle just whip my junk out. That's insane.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 04:49 PM   #234
Grimbl420
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
There's some posters in this thread clearly being obtuse. Consent in any form is a grey area So there's no way to come up with a strict definition of what's acceptable or not.
Bingo!!

Quote:
Anyone defending what Louis CK has done is in the wrong. I have not mentioned anyone personally or called anyone names.
I don't see anyone defending what he did as right. Just that his transgressions while inappropriate are not criminal.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:02 PM   #235
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon47

Quote:
There's some posters in this thread clearly being obtuse. Consent in any form is a grey area. So there's no way to come up with a strict definition of what's acceptable or not.

Has anyone actually defended him though? I think everyone thinks it's wrong. Seems to me like most are arguing that it isn't criminal for him to ask consent and stop when the woman said no.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he should be able to just whip it out if they don't consent. If he asked and they said no and that was it, its inappropriate not criminal.

Just because people are arguing its not criminal doesn't mean they support or defend Louis, can we please stop acting like that's what's happening? This type of response is what shuts down constructive conversation about these issues and escalates it into a stupid argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Three of the women did not consent. They didn't explicitly say no because they thought it was a joke. That doesn't equal consent and still falls within the realm of criminal sexual harassment. I can't walk up to a woman and ask if she wants to see me jerk off and then if she does a nervous giggle just whip my junk out. That's insane.
I don't think anyone is arguing in favour of the scenario you're describing here. Unless I missed it. They are saying if you ask and someone says no you deserve to be fired but it isn't criminal.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:14 PM   #236
AFireInside
First Line Centre

Exp:
Icon47

Quote:

Has anyone actually defended him though? I think everyone thinks it's wrong. Seems to me like most are arguing that it isn't criminal for him to ask consent and stop when the woman said no.

I don't think anyone is arguing that he should be able to just whip it out if they don't consent or whenever he wants. If he asked and they said no and that was it its inappropriate not criminal.

Just because people are arguing its not criminal doesn't mean they support or defend Louis, can we please stop acting like that's what's happening? This type of response is what shuts down constructive conversation about these issues andy escalates it into a stupid argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I don't think anyone is arguing in favour of the scenario you're describing here. Unless I missed it. They are saying if you ask and someone says no you deserve to be fired but it isn't criminal.
The Following User Says Thank You to AFireInside For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 05:22 PM   #237
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think Louis CK's career is over. Not because nobody will hire him but because when he does come back his jokes which were crude and everyone thought were funny...were actually things he was doing in real life and judging by his recycled sex jokes 30 times a show i wonder if he can even be funny without going to his patented go to "jizz" sounds or "whipping it out" jokes.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2017, 05:27 PM   #238
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:28 PM   #239
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
I think Louis CK's career is over. Not because nobody will hire him but because when he does come back his jokes which were crude and everyone thought were funny...were actually things he was doing in real life and judging by his recycled sex jokes 30 times a show i wonder if he can even be funny without going to his patented go to "jizz" sounds or "whipping it out" jokes.
Yeah, and just being a comedian makes it harder even without the connections between his jokes and real life. An actor or musician can just do what they do and see if people are willing to accept them.

As a comedian you're whole career is based on walking out to a bunch of smiling faces ready with anticipation to laugh at your jokes. And that connection is KEY to jokes going over. A crowd of people off put to varying degrees by what you've done (even if they've paid to come see you) or just feeling awkward looking at you is a disastrous way to try to come back.

I guess he could just start with a small screen/film project to remove the face to face connection and go from there.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:31 PM   #240
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Stand-up wise I would say definitely. I'd say he had peaked in that regard a few years ago anyways.