Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2020, 07:14 AM   #3241
gasman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, I was there on Friday, but they all have a wall wart.
I have under cabinet led pucks, they had to be wired to a spot under the sink where they installed a controller/transformer. The wiring up to the cabinets is low voltage wire.

I think you will be hard pressed to find direct wired 120v led lights. That will fit in your cabinet
gasman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 08:50 AM   #3242
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

But I did, they Honeywell ones from Amazon fit the bill. I'm mostly buying time until I redo the kitchen, but some more light would be nice.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #3243
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What's the best option for dimable LED bulbs. I've got since 75W incandescent in my basement theater room that I run at a pretty low level when watching TV. I tried a dimable LED flood bulb before, but it didn't dim past about 25%.

I'm fine with replacing fixtures if I need to, but a good standard bulb would be preferable. I've already got an LED compatible dimmer installed. Anyone found an LED that dims really low?
With what you're trying to achieve, I think you should consider smart bulbs instead. Less time, effort and materials.

I use Sengled as cheap ones ($10-14 each other than hub cost) and I pair it up with an Amazon Echo in my nursery which allows me to yell commands like: on, off, 1-100% brightness. Or you could use the app to do something similar.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 11:24 AM   #3244
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was just at Rona and all they have is GE, so I wasn't going it to risk it. I was also looking for some under cabinet lighting, and some 2" pucks to replace the crappy halogen ones I have, but there selection is not good at all. I also wanted a carpet runner, but the carpet rack was bare. Trying to give you guys money here, you aren't making it easy.

Since we are on lights, I'd like some hard wired under cabinet lights, but all the ones I find have a wall wart plug. I've already got fluorescent tubes hard wired, I'd just like to replace the setup. Anyone know a good place to look for that? I don't want to just replace the tubes with LED ones, as there are only 2, and I want more.
Why not use strip lights? I guess the pucks will work fine though.
Old 11-18-2020, 11:25 AM   #3245
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
With what you're trying to achieve, I think you should consider smart bulbs instead. Less time, effort and materials.

I use Sengled as cheap ones ($10-14 each other than hub cost) and I pair it up with an Amazon Echo in my nursery which allows me to yell commands like: on, off, 1-100% brightness. Or you could use the app to do something similar.
I'm not sure how that is less effort that swapping in new bulbs. I've already got a dimmer with a remote. I do not have an Alexa, nor want her anywhere near my house. I just need bulbs that dim to a low level.
Old 11-18-2020, 12:34 PM   #3246
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not sure how that is less effort that swapping in new bulbs. I've already got a dimmer with a remote. I do not have an Alexa, nor want her anywhere near my house. I just need bulbs that dim to a low level.
Oh, misread sorry. I addressing the part about you replacing a fixture.
Smart bulbs can be controlled via phone or tablet, but that seems like a moot point.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 03:05 PM   #3247
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would like to put laminate or vinyl over an existing tile floor in my basement.

Should I use laminate or vinyl? Is one better than the other in this application?

Also, is there a minimum thickness to consider? (so that there's no flex between tiles at the grout)

Thanks!
Old 11-18-2020, 03:09 PM   #3248
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You will at least want to use some sort of underlay that will take care of the gaps. Even the really thin foam stuff is fine for that. I laid some about 5 years ago and it has been great.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2020, 10:35 PM   #3249
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty2hotty View Post
I would like to put laminate or vinyl over an existing tile floor in my basement.

Should I use laminate or vinyl? Is one better than the other in this application?

Also, is there a minimum thickness to consider? (so that there's no flex between tiles at the grout)

Thanks!
Laminate can get damaged with moisture. Go vinyl.
Old 11-18-2020, 10:44 PM   #3250
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Laminate can get damaged with moisture. Go vinyl.

Isn’t this why they recommend laminate for basements? Because it is less prone to damage from moisture?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 12:02 AM   #3251
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Isn’t this why they recommend laminate for basements? Because it is less prone to damage from moisture?
Isn't it just less prone to something like real hardwood? I'd assume Vinyl is superior to laminate for moisture resistance.

That being said, I had hardwood in a basement before and it was fine other than it creaking a little in some areas from the day it was installed. Adding a good underlay for an air gap helped greatly to keep the floors from being too cold.
Old 11-19-2020, 12:22 AM   #3252
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Other way around.

Laminate can swell with moisture, damaging itself.

Vinyl is impervious.
Old 11-19-2020, 01:04 AM   #3253
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Other way around.

Laminate can swell with moisture, damaging itself.

Vinyl is impervious.

Not that vinyl isn’t fine, but I understood that laminate was suitable for basement installations. Obviously not somewhere as exposed to moisture as a bathroom or sauna, but generally good for other areas.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 03:54 AM   #3254
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Thanks for all the input, guys!
Old 11-19-2020, 06:31 AM   #3255
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I put laminate in my basement bathroom, because I got it for free. I don't have a shower there, so moisture isn't an issue, unless something really goes wrong. No signs of any damage at all. Now, if I had a choice I'd pick vinyl these days.
Old 11-19-2020, 07:55 PM   #3256
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I put laminate in my basement bathroom, because I got it for free. I don't have a shower there, so moisture isn't an issue, unless something really goes wrong. No signs of any damage at all. Now, if I had a choice I'd pick vinyl these days.
Why the preference for vinyl?

Vinyl seems to be more expensive on average ...but I actually find that it looks/feels cheaper.
Old 11-19-2020, 08:04 PM   #3257
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just because laminate is less water friendly, and the newer luxury vinyl actually can look pretty good. But ya, if price is an issue, the laminate is probably cheaper.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:38 AM   #3258
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, I had a humidifier installed and it has a hose from the unit to a floor drain. When the furnace runs the humidifier runs (so far so good).

The problem is that the water runs almost constantly in winter. Is it necessary for all the water to be running down the drain? I talked to my installer who said that this is a necessary price of having humidity, which I don’t know if that’s so.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #3259
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Okay, I had a humidifier installed and it has a hose from the unit to a floor drain. When the furnace runs the humidifier runs (so far so good).

The problem is that the water runs almost constantly in winter. Is it necessary for all the water to be running down the drain? I talked to my installer who said that this is a necessary price of having humidity, which I don’t know if that’s so.
It really is a significant waste. I’d like to recapture mine to an underground greywater tank and use it for gardening in the summer, but that kind of setup would cost many times more than my lifetime water bill.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #3260
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
It really is a significant waste. I’d like to recapture mine to an underground greywater tank and use it for gardening in the summer, but that kind of setup would cost many times more than my lifetime water bill.
Yours does the same? Would a different humidifier work differently or do they all work the same? I’m a water miser and this bothers me.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote