Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #1081
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
I’m putting food down my gullet constantly, providing the materials for growth and regeneration of all my cells, including follicles. What’s the equivalent process for grass? I spread fertilizer every 6 weeks and a bit of topsoil in trouble spots at the start of the growing season, but that’s a tiny amount of material compared to what I’m removing by mowing and bagging.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Ever see a big bright yellow thing in the sky?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yup, photosynthesis turns CO2, water and sunlight into sugars, so it's creating mass that way.
Looks like I’m late, but it’s an excuse to post one of my favourite expalinations ever, by one of the greatest minds to ever be. He just touches on it briefly, but I love this clip.

Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #1082
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
We had a new fence installed recently using 4x6 pressure treated posts. Looked good initially, but noticing some splitting on some of them. Is this something that I should to worry about, or is this just a natural process?
I suppose it depends on the crack. Ours did the same thing but the cracks were fairly small and didn't impact anything structural.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #1083
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

They aren’t huge, but they are noticeable. My only find on the internet was that it’s called “checking” and shouldn’t be a problem. I am a bit worried about water migrating into the crack during winter freeze-thaw periods.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:49 PM   #1084
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
They aren’t huge, but they are noticeable. My only find on the internet was that it’s called “checking” and shouldn’t be a problem. I am a bit worried about water migrating into the crack during winter freeze-thaw periods.
Have you stained/oiled/painted the fence?

You could always put some Cut-N-Seal in the cracks. Probably doesn't hurt.
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/cut...6ml/1000493766

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 02:53 PM   #1085
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
North facing section of lawn that's shady almost all day. Grass grows long and fast, but it's sparse and damp. Any options for alternative green ground cover? Clover etc.?

This is also the best flat space for our toddler, so hoping for something forgiving, hardy, and non-toxic!

Artificial turf seems somewhat inevitable, but would be keen to explore clover or something else first. The rest of the yard is a big deck and lots of rock (big pea gravel/small river rock), so don't really want to go with more stone/mulch.
I was thinking about it for a while, but clover doesn't seem right. If you want something natural, maybe plantain?

It's not toxic either, technically edible and I've even heard that some farmers turn it into a poultice for cuts.

https://northernbushcraft.com/topic....=edible_plants

It think astro turf or maybe a sort of sandbox might work best.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #1086
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I was thinking about it for a while, but clover doesn't seem right. If you want something natural, maybe plantain?

It's not toxic either, technically edible and I've even heard that some farmers turn it into a poultice for cuts.

https://northernbushcraft.com/topic....=edible_plants

It think astro turf or maybe a sort of sandbox might work best.
Will definitely check out plantain. Thinking monoculture is unlikely to be the solution, but also don't want it to look patchy and lame...I really just need to go chat with someone at a garden centre, but simple errands aren't so simple these days with COVID and a toddler.

I've been looking into Irish/Scotch Moss...probably night the right answer, but intriguing. Anyone played around with those locally?

I've also been noticing a lot of different plants/grasses/weeds used to fill barren spaces beside sidewalks...have a few pics on my phone I'll have to try to upload. There's one particular short grass I've noticed that seems really hearty, but not sure how well it would do in shade.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 08:18 AM   #1087
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Will definitely check out plantain. Thinking monoculture is unlikely to be the solution, but also don't want it to look patchy and lame...I really just need to go chat with someone at a garden centre, but simple errands aren't so simple these days with COVID and a toddler.

I've been looking into Irish/Scotch Moss...probably night the right answer, but intriguing. Anyone played around with those locally?

I've also been noticing a lot of different plants/grasses/weeds used to fill barren spaces beside sidewalks...have a few pics on my phone I'll have to try to upload. There's one particular short grass I've noticed that seems really hearty, but not sure how well it would do in shade.
We put Irish Moss and Creeping Thyme in between the flagstone path from our house to the garage. Just planted it this year so we'll see how it fills in.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 02:06 PM   #1088
JoseCuervo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Retaining Wall

My neighbours yard is about 5 feet above ours. A section of the retaining wall is really starting to lean into our yard and needs to be replaced. It is like a fence where it is joint responsibility to pay? I have read that sometimes it is the responsibility of the upper neighbour? I likely will ask them to split the cost but just wanted to check.
JoseCuervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 04:13 PM   #1089
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just an fyi, if it is that high I think you need a permit, and possibly an engineer. Search the city site on retaining walls.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 05:59 PM   #1090
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://lub.calgary.ca

Part 5: Low Density Residential
Division 1: General Rules

Retaining Walls
342 (1) A retaining wall must be less than 1.2 metres in height when measured from the lowest grade at any point adjacent to the retaining wall to the highest grade retained by the retaining wall.

(2) A minimum horizontal separation of 1.0 metre must be maintained between retaining walls on the same parcel.

Anything over 1.2m requires land use approval.

Building permit requirements: https://www.calgary.ca/_layouts/coci...edirect=1&sf=1
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #1091
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We put a small patch of Irish moss, which isn't in the picture, but it has done OK. The other 2 are a kind of succulent, my wife will ID it and I'll let you know. On the right is creeping thyme, which has done very well. In the background is creeping Lucy, probably hunting a moth.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2020, 12:50 PM   #1092
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Like a lot of folks my wife and I are not travelling for our vacations this year, so we are looking into a properly designed and landscaped outdoor space. We live in the ne and don't need some amazing backyard, just a nice space to bbq, hangout and have a fire and eventually entertain again. I've had a couple of landscape companies come in and give me a rough estimate on basically creating our dream space.

The kicker for me is we plan to have moved on from this place in under 5 years. My concern is if I spend the $15k and do all this work creating this space, what kind of value would I be adding to my property if any. I just want to know id at least make my money back when it came time to sell the house.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:11 PM   #1093
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deviaant View Post
Like a lot of folks my wife and I are not travelling for our vacations this year, so we are looking into a properly designed and landscaped outdoor space. We live in the ne and don't need some amazing backyard, just a nice space to bbq, hangout and have a fire and eventually entertain again. I've had a couple of landscape companies come in and give me a rough estimate on basically creating our dream space.

The kicker for me is we plan to have moved on from this place in under 5 years. My concern is if I spend the $15k and do all this work creating this space, what kind of value would I be adding to my property if any. I just want to know id at least make my money back when it came time to sell the house.
What would you guys normally spend on a vacation?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 10:41 AM   #1094
DylanScores
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Made the decision to put artificial turf on our backyard this summer. We got a dog last year and tired of spending $$$ to make the lawn lush and green after the spring and throughout the summer. Also tired of repairing urine spots! Great to see “green grass” during the hot weather and not worry about watering , mowing, fertilizing and weeding!
DylanScores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:12 AM   #1095
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
What would you guys normally spend on a vacation?
I'd say $5k - $10k/year range. The money itself is not even really the issue, I'm just concerned with resale of the house.
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 02:03 PM   #1096
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Moving to a new place and want to take down a few spruce trees that are about 6 ft tall to extend the yard and law sod. These aren't massive trees by any stretch so ideal I would cut it down and hack away at the root bulb and lay 6" of top soil over too before laying the sod. Any issues with this? Are there better ways to do this?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:09 PM   #1097
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Moving to a new place and want to take down a few spruce trees that are about 6 ft tall to extend the yard and law sod. These aren't massive trees by any stretch so ideal I would cut it down and hack away at the root bulb and lay 6" of top soil over too before laying the sod. Any issues with this? Are there better ways to do this?
I’ve done some of this. I’d cut the trees down as close to the ground as you can and get a stump grinder in to finish the job.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:21 PM   #1098
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post

How old are those trees? Must be pretty young. You could dig them out at that size.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:24 PM   #1099
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A 6 ft tall spruce isn't going to have much of a root ball, you should be able to dig around it and get it out.
Old 08-23-2020, 05:54 PM   #1100
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah maybe not 6 feet exactly but I worry about the top soil settling so would prefer to not have to remove it all. Haven't taken possession yet so will assess when we've moved in.

Last edited by red sky; 08-23-2020 at 05:57 PM.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies