Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-19-2012, 08:55 PM   #41
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a maple tree which has a ~10cm diameter wound on the main trunk, where the bark is peeling away. The tree is alive, but doesn't look happy.

Any idea how to help the tree, and "dress the wound"

thanks
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 11:01 PM   #42
Leon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
So if you can't get data from roundup that is left behind, how are they able to to test the residue that they claim if left for several years?

That first quote contains quite a few weasel words, enough for me I seriously doubt it has a basis in study.
There's plenty of studies on the effect of glysophate. Here's one: http://www.scribd.com/doc/57277946/R...BirthDefectsv5

Google brings up a plethora of other goodies on the stuff. Haven't Monsanto products recently been banned in France?

''The Phaneuf - Regehr pairing reminds me a lot of when I'm having sex with a new partner'' -malcomk14
''Not only is he a good player, but I enjoy his company'' -Pierre Mcguire on Phaneuf

"I'm only watching now for the chance to see brief close-ups of White's moustache." - rockstar
</br>
Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #43
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I figured I would try this thread before making a new one.

Does anyone know where I can buy raised gardening bins or where I might be able one similar to the below built?

Well its November and time to start thinking about Christmas gifts.

I am looking at getting a custom made gardening container for my grandma for her condo. I would build this myself however I too live in a condo and just dont have the space nor the tools.

The below is an example of what I am looking for. Sizing 8ft*3ft*2.5-3ft

Last edited by mykalberta; 11-05-2012 at 11:43 AM.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 PM   #44
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

How much are you looking to spend? I just built something pretty similar last spring and wouldn't mind a winter project.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 12:47 PM   #45
moncton golden flames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post

Does anyone know where I can buy raised gardening bins or where I might be able one similar to the below built?

I am looking at getting a custom made gardening container for my grandma for her condo. I would build this myself however I too live in a condo and just dont have the space nor the tools.

if you can, build it as a wicking bed. here is a diy from a good friend of mine, and fellow permaculture designer, rob avis, from verge permaculture.

http://www.vergepermaculture.ca/blog...o-wicking-beds

moncton golden flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to moncton golden flames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2012, 01:02 PM   #46
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I guess it depends on the build quality. And what gets built.

Initially I was thinking $350ish

This site in the US has some good ones, They are just simple boxes with no bottoms.

http://eartheasy.com/yard-garden/rai...-kits-planters
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #47
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post

Not sure how big of boxes they order in for sale but Garden Retreat (a few blocks east of Chinook Shopping Center) has similar boxes that hold at least 3 tomatoes.

I have no idea if Garden Retreat takes custom orders.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:11 AM   #48
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump.

What's the latest point in the year that one should have new grass put in? Our lazy-ass developer still hasn't got around to doing the landscaping (grass and planting a tree), and I'm worried that there won't be enough good weather for it to hold.

Then again I have zero gardening knowledge, so I'm not even sure it's an issue.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 11:39 AM   #49
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've heard either spring or fall is best for new sod.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #50
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Bump.

What's the latest point in the year that one should have new grass put in? Our lazy-ass developer still hasn't got around to doing the landscaping (grass and planting a tree), and I'm worried that there won't be enough good weather for it to hold.

Then again I have zero gardening knowledge, so I'm not even sure it's an issue.
When I put my sod in a few years ago it was the end of September. As long as there is no killing frost you should be okay. Just don't let the sod get dried out before roots go down.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:17 PM   #51
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys, appreciate it. Do you have to give new sod more water than usual? Do I have to use any kind of fertilizer? Can you tell Ive never had a yard?
Old 08-11-2014, 01:47 PM   #52
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks guys, appreciate it. Do you have to give new sod more water than usual? Do I have to use any kind of fertilizer? Can you tell Ive never had a yard?
lots more water. Water it daily for the first two weeks.

I wouldn't worry about fertilizer at first. After a few weeks, you could put down a good fall fertilizer focused on root growth (potassium), not green (nitrogen).
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2014, 01:58 PM   #53
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
Who woulda thunk that Mr. Urban table5 would someday be asking about the exciting world of lawns here.
Hey, liking denser, more vibrant, neighborhoods does not mean that we don't like parks and green stuff, ha. It's a pretty small yard though...kind of too small to really do anything too exciting in, but something that still needs to be maintained (with my nonexistent yard tools).
Old 08-11-2014, 06:06 PM   #54
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Basically, if the sod dries within the first two weeks then you've failed as a lawn owner.

Don't fertilize until roots have formed or you risk burning your grass before it has a chance to take root. If you want you can thrown down some coated grass seed before you lay the sod as it will help keep the roots of the sod moist as they stretch down to the topsoil.
Old 03-31-2015, 03:29 PM   #55
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

BUMP.

Looks like winter will stay away (fingers crossed) and spring/summer is just around the corner.

I was wondering if you guys had a recommendation of a landscaper that I could use. I have a small project that I need to get done (installing fences and black fabric filled with stones) for my house. I was looking to get cost estimates for such a project and landscaper recommendation.

Any help is welcome!
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:25 AM   #56
BlurstOfTimes
Draft Pick

New to Calgary. Moved up from Texas.

I wanted to get some info on fertilizer, pre-emergent, seeding schedules, and general lawn/yard maintenance. I was a decent green thumb in Texas but I'm not familiar with the types of grasses here or the types of plants suited for this zone.

The weeds are already starting to pop-up so I assume it's too late to put down a pre-emergent herbicide. Any recommendations on a herbicide spray or granules to use to kill the stuff that is already popping up?

Is it too early to put down a slow release fertilizer? Some of the city websites mentioned doing this in May but since it's been a warmer spring and the grass is already greening up I guess fertilizer can be used now.

Any advice on grass seed or sod and where to get it. I assume HD is the standard place to go. There are a lot of dead patches in the yard I'd like to fill in.

Thanks
BlurstOfTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #57
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have a costco membership you can get a big bag of seeds there for a decent price, I think they have fertilizer too. Given Calgary's lack of stable climate, I've never had an issue fertilizing early or late. I tend to overseed and fertilize and the seeds always sprout well.

If you find a secret for the weeds, let me know!

As for any veggie stuff, its always a gamble here. May long weekend is usually considered fairly safe, but around her,e it can still snow or frost after. Last year I planted my potatoes in April and the tops got frosted out once or twice, but they did fantastic.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:35 PM   #58
TKB
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlurstOfTimes View Post
New to Calgary. Moved up from Texas.

I wanted to get some info on fertilizer, pre-emergent, seeding schedules, and general lawn/yard maintenance. I was a decent green thumb in Texas but I'm not familiar with the types of grasses here or the types of plants suited for this zone.

The weeds are already starting to pop-up so I assume it's too late to put down a pre-emergent herbicide. Any recommendations on a herbicide spray or granules to use to kill the stuff that is already popping up?

Is it too early to put down a slow release fertilizer? Some of the city websites mentioned doing this in May but since it's been a warmer spring and the grass is already greening up I guess fertilizer can be used now.

Any advice on grass seed or sod and where to get it. I assume HD is the standard place to go. There are a lot of dead patches in the yard I'd like to fill in.

Thanks
Bluegrass in Balzac (North of calgary) has all the landscape supplies you would need. It's never to late to put down fertilizer. I usually do my lawn once every six weeks, granted I like having a ridicules green and thick lawn.
TKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:23 PM   #59
Schraderbrau
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Just built a new house and was going to try to sod this summer though I have heard to wait a year before doing so to allow the ground to settle. Any truth to waiting?
Schraderbrau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:42 PM   #60
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schraderbrau View Post
Just built a new house and was going to try to sod this summer though I have heard to wait a year before doing so to allow the ground to settle. Any truth to waiting?
I've never heard anything about waiting to sod so that things can settle. I would get it done right away so that I don't have to look at a yard full of dirt and weeds.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:

Tags
flowers , garden , green thumb , landscaping , veggies