Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #61
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Jarvis bay at Sylvan lake has been fantastic. No one really seems to be giving a #### over about covid over here, maybe 0.5% of people are wearing masks
Why is this fantastic? Green text?
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 08:01 AM   #62
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Fantastic in the sense that hot days at the beach are awesome.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 09:30 AM   #63
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
the outbreak in kelowna is a result of a group of individuals from the lower mainland and alberta that went to parties/'gatherings' around canada day. a lady from calgary was positive for covid. she was sick enough BEFORE she came here to get a covid test and still traveled even though she didn't have her results. as a result of that one lady causing an 'exposure event', there are currently close to 1000 people self isolating.
How do you know this? Nothing I've seen in the news has said anything more than that the outbreak involved partiers from Vancouver and Alberta.

I don't mean to call you out, but a story like that seems like the type of thing that may have been embellished through rumour.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:36 AM   #64
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Read the Canmore pages on FB.
Well there’s your first mistake.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:40 AM   #65
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been to Fernie and Coldstream and Kelowna. Fernie is the same as always, just busier it seems. The lower, easier trails were like going to West Bragg. Kelowna was just to buy a car. Planning on going back to Fernie/Rosen Lake because some Fernie friends just bought a cabin at Rosen and they invited us out.
Also going to Jasper and staying at JPL for their 2 for 1 deal. Golf is $99 with a $25 credit and my son golfs for free.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 09:49 AM   #66
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
How do you know this? Nothing I've seen in the news has said anything more than that the outbreak involved partiers from Vancouver and Alberta.

I don't mean to call you out, but a story like that seems like the type of thing that may have been embellished through rumour.

i have two different sources that are completely independent of each other (by that i mean i've heard it from 'x' and 'y' and 'x' and 'y' have absolutely no connection to each other). both sources are very reliable. if a mod wants to pm me i'd be more than happy to provide more info.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:07 AM   #67
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Well there’s your first mistake.
I know. I was right in the process of getting rid of Facebook when COVID started shutting everything down. One of my new found biological brothers joined & 1 brother of the sibling group I grew up with (adoptive family) also joined. So I've stuck around for the time being, just to keep in contact with them, the bio brother in particular, since it's pretty much the only form of communication I have with him for the time being. I stayed on a few pages, mainly to keep up to date on a couple of things - some of the new bio family had planned to come north this summer, but COVID & the border remaining closed obviously put a stop to that, so I had been keeping up with those pages to get some activity ideas, blah blah blah.

Last edited by Minnie; 07-28-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2020, 12:13 PM   #68
vegasbound
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i have two different sources that are completely independent of each other (by that i mean i've heard it from 'x' and 'y' and 'x' and 'y' have absolutely no connection to each other). both sources are very reliable. if a mod wants to pm me i'd be more than happy to provide more info.

I've also heard the exact same thing from someone who had to get tested from that outbreak.
vegasbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:49 PM   #69
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

we wound up sticking with Fernie because it was a really smoking deal when I booked, and the place we went to in Canmore last time is literally double the price and no free breakfast. Hopefully the Jets decal on my van shields me from BC violence
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 12:53 PM   #70
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

The living room
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:03 PM   #71
Bindair Dundat
Scoring Winger

Exp:

All the way...
...to the FBI.
Actually, going fishing up by Hinton for a couple of weeks...
Bindair Dundat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:45 PM   #72
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Read the Canmore pages on FB. People crap bricks daily about anyone from Calgary coming out. Not just a COVID thing though, they're always crapping bricks about "out of towners", it's just a bit more brick crapping than usual. The ToC/mayor have had to regularly ask Canmore-ites (Canmorons?) to refrain from verbally accosting anyone they think is not from Canmore & there have been accounts of vehicle vandaliam, especially to out of prov/out of country plates. I have read on those pages, of people recently moved there to work, having to tape stuff to their cars saying they're recent transplants, they live there, please don't damage the vehicle, they're getting things changed over. Very entitled bunch without COVID, always bitching about every little thing, online. I mean, it's truly ridiculous - "that person doesn't live in Canmore because they eat apples" or "that person can't possibly live in Canmore because they're walking with a backpack, people who actually live here wouldn't be caught dead walking around with a backpack" - how would you know?
I guess I should have said that with COVID people are unusually fearful and resentful of people coming from other places, and that after COVID things will return to a more usual level of fear and resentment. Same as I hope will happen with the spike that's been seen in racism since COVID that we may see revert to normal levels of racism after COVID.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 07:51 PM   #73
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
we wound up sticking with Fernie because it was a really smoking deal when I booked, and the place we went to in Canmore last time is literally double the price and no free breakfast. Hopefully the Jets decal on my van shields me from BC violence
If there's anything us backwoods BC folks hate more than a dirty Abertan it's a dirty Abertan with a Jets decal on their van.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2020, 08:53 AM   #74
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Trip to the island went off without a hitch. Even without mandatory masks, grocery stores were 2/3+ people wearing them and all staff. The couple of restaurants we went to had good setups for distancing.

Nary a comment or even a dirty look from anyone. Not a lot of AB plates out there, so I was a bit concerned. The couple of businesses we talked to were happy to have folks visiting as long as they were taking things seriously.

Aside from the masking up (which we would have done at home anyway) and having a few more meals in the condo rather than going out, it was a pretty typical vacation for us. Easy to maintain distancing on hikes etc.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:33 PM   #75
Bongo
Farm Team Player

Exp:

My family consists of me. So I'll do the same thing I've done every year for the last 15 years, take no vacation.

Travelling as a solo person is expensive and it seems to be pretty lame to be a hanger-on to someone else's vacation plans.
Bongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 10:09 AM   #76
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Trip to the island went off without a hitch. Even without mandatory masks, grocery stores were 2/3+ people wearing them and all staff. The couple of restaurants we went to had good setups for distancing.

Nary a comment or even a dirty look from anyone. Not a lot of AB plates out there, so I was a bit concerned. The couple of businesses we talked to were happy to have folks visiting as long as they were taking things seriously.

Aside from the masking up (which we would have done at home anyway) and having a few more meals in the condo rather than going out, it was a pretty typical vacation for us. Easy to maintain distancing on hikes etc.
Glad to hear you had no issues. Friends of our moved to the island last year and their 20 year old son has not changed his plates yet (I know). He was on the ferry and some dude tore a strip up one side and down the other because he was from Alberta, spreading Covid, endangering everyone's lives etc. Guess there are a-holes everywhere.

I just effectively took my two days summer vacation. Went to Bow Valley Prov Park with the wife. Weather was fantastic but man that is one noisy campground and we slept like crap. Highway and train noise 24 hours/day.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 03:58 PM   #77
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I can’t believe that anyone would change their plans to bc because of a news story. There were a couple incidents (maybe 5 in all of bc). A journalist picked up on it and got a whole bunch of clicks. Congratulations on scaring Albertan’s away.

I went to the Kelowna area this summer for a week and not a single incident. I know a guy who has a cottage and has been in bc all summer. Says not a single incident.

I think in total i’ve spoken to and read posts on maybe 60 people that have been to bc and all, literally all, say they were fine or felt welcomed. No i don’t take into a account a friend of a friend who neighbors uncle went and got screamed at cause we all know that’s a made up story for attention.

What a joke that anybody would let the media get into their heads and actually change their summer plans.

Last edited by stampsx2; 08-19-2020 at 04:01 PM.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 08:01 AM   #78
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
I can’t believe that anyone would change their plans to bc because of a news story. There were a couple incidents (maybe 5 in all of bc). A journalist picked up on it and got a whole bunch of clicks. Congratulations on scaring Albertan’s away.

I went to the Kelowna area this summer for a week and not a single incident. I know a guy who has a cottage and has been in bc all summer. Says not a single incident.

I think in total i’ve spoken to and read posts on maybe 60 people that have been to bc and all, literally all, say they were fine or felt welcomed. No i don’t take into a account a friend of a friend who neighbors uncle went and got screamed at cause we all know that’s a made up story for attention.

What a joke that anybody would let the media get into their heads and actually change their summer plans.
In some cases reservations were unilaterally cancelled forcing people to change plans.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 09:24 AM   #79
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
My family consists of me. So I'll do the same thing I've done every year for the last 15 years, take no vacation.

Travelling as a solo person is expensive and it seems to be pretty lame to be a hanger-on to someone else's vacation plans.

I've done quite a bit of single travelling. My experience is so different. I found travelling by yourself makes it easier to pivot on travel plans and you can get some great deals that way. I've also met a lot of people on these trips from all over the world whom I keep in touch with. Previously travelling with my wife would have made that much more difficult.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rotten42 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-20-2020, 09:31 AM   #80
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any suggestions on more of an exotic, lazy beach vacation, under these circumstances?

Preferably quiet.. usually when I plan vacations, it’s with adventure in mind. This one needs to be a relaxing reset. I appreciate value, but won’t be restricted by cost.

TIA
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote