Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-30-2020, 09:06 AM   #141
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Man, am I glad that I didn’t grow up with some of you guys as neighbours.

Regarding thou shalt not cast, NTA. That’s the risk you take when you knowingly go against the policies of someone else’s wireless network. A network administrator could have done the same thing, really.
I'm fairly certain by that comment many of us are glad your were not our neighbor either.
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:49 AM   #142
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
Huh. That is some kinda example you got there. Is there something you want to discuss here?
Yes. Sleepovers. Don’t invite the fat kid in your circle
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #143
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pre-Covid, I hated the thought of getting some kind of communal food at restaurants. People would be like, “how about some nachos or something to share” and then you’d have some jerk act like they’re their own personal plate of nachos.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 12:52 PM   #144
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Pre-Covid, I hated the thought of getting some kind of communal food at restaurants. People would be like, “how about some nachos or something to share” and then you’d have some jerk act like they’re their own personal plate of nachos.
Sounds like NTA, but sounds like you occasionally hang out with a bunch of ass wipes.

Like non tippers who basically ride off everyone else's coat tails on non-split bills.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 12:56 PM   #145
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Ongoing "Am I the %^&hole?" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Sounds like NTA, but sounds like you hang out with a bunch of ass wipes.

Like non tippers who basically ride off everyone else's coat tails on non-split bills.

Not my friends per se, but they will bring along their poor student sibling that goes nuts over paying 1/nth of the bill, but get to pig out.

Usually I am “no thanks, I am just going to order my own thing”.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 01:10 PM   #146
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

my old man does that with wings and 95% preferentially takes the drumstick portions. leaves the tips. literally uses his finger to "flick" through to the pieces he wants instead of taking the wings on top/sides. Then acts indignant when called out. At least he is ok to pay his share or even a bit more (of both bill and tip).
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 04:55 PM   #147
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
This a thousand times, audio, especially second hand is a small niche area, and Calgary and Vancouver are two cities where if you have half a brain you make sure you have a contact in your opposite city, you pass clients on to them and they back to you.

He may not be a dick but he is a moron, he isnt losing any business because it wasnt there in the first place, what he has done though is lost a potential referral from a grateful shop in Vancouver (well Surrey, again go to Innovative Audio) returning a favour and the possibility that he builds a good reputation and more referrals from people in Calgary, this story could just as easily be in the 'hey I found a great shop, you guys should go there' than in the 'Hey guys was he being a dick?' section.
I agree with this 100%. We walked into the Old Retro Store in Inglewood a few years ago with a turntable from my step dad that was from the 70s, not anything special at all but I would hate to just throw it away.

The first guy we brought it to who works there said it wasn't worth fixing (needed a new belt and cartridge), it would have been like $75 for the diagnosis and then for the parts, so like $130ish to fix. So we took it home and then finally cleaning out our house and decided to just go donate it to them, we had no need for it (looked for parts online to do it ourselves but same thing, a bit too expensive). Anyway, went down to donate, someone else was in that day, they replaced the belt and cartridge, was up and running and only cost us $60. They for sure would have bought the thing form us but only for about $50 or so, then sell it for about $150 is my guess.

Anyway, when we originally went it they recommended other shops that might be cheaper or have parts or would by it for a higher price. That is kind of the response I would expect from niche markets like this, but not every is the same!

Also, depends who you talk to at any given store. Try calling back another day and see who answers and what kind of response you might get. I also feel people are more willing to give advice over the phone than in emails.

What we learned from this experience is that apparently new turntables (like the cheap ones on amazon) are not good for old vinyl, creates a deeper grove and will eventually ruin them. So if you do have an old one kicking around, it might just be worth it to fix it up.
Old 07-31-2020, 11:09 AM   #148
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

AITAH: Permanent Road side memorials..

Max should be 6 months in my opinion until they are removed. It is sad that your loved one passed at that location but kind of selfish for the whole world to be bummed out every time they drive by.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 11:10 AM   #149
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post

Max should be 6 months in my opinion until they are removed. It is sad that your loved one passed at that location but kind of selfish for the whole world to be bummed out every time they drive by.
Till up the cemeteries too. What a bummer.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 11:21 AM   #150
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what the rules are in other places, but permanent roadside memorials aren't allowed in Alberta.

In Calgary, you can put up something for a maximum of a year, and it may be removed by the city before that if it poses a hazard. They also aren't allowed on roads with a speed limit of 70 km/h or higher.

You can get a discreet marker installed on a streetlight location near the site of the incident or have a permanent marker placed on a bench or something nearby.

https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...memorials.html
Old 07-31-2020, 02:54 PM   #151
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I don't know what the rules are in other places, but permanent roadside memorials aren't allowed in Alberta.

In Calgary, you can put up something for a maximum of a year, and it may be removed by the city before that if it poses a hazard. They also aren't allowed on roads with a speed limit of 70 km/h or higher.

You can get a discreet marker installed on a streetlight location near the site of the incident or have a permanent marker placed on a bench or something nearby.

https://www.calgary.ca/transportatio...memorials.html
Tell that to the memorial on southbound Deerfoot at the Southland overpass. That memorial has been up for 25 years. It's totally obnoxious and selfish.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:02 PM   #152
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Tell that to the memorial on southbound Deerfoot at the Southland overpass. That memorial has been up for 25 years. It's totally obnoxious and selfish.
Well, it was. They moved it this year I think.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 04:44 PM   #153
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post

YTA. I don't disagree with roadside memorials being removed—they're distracting, which is dangerous and could serve to cause another crash at the same location—but you have a-hole reasoning.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2020, 04:47 PM   #154
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always found it very ironic to have a memorial for an officer killed in a high speed chase in a place where maintaining the memorial put one at risk for being killed in a high speed incident.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 12:21 AM   #155
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

That's been gone for awhile, but I've always identified with it as a nearly life long Calgarian. To me that memorial represented a young, innocent Calgary brought into the present, beyond the loss of an officer to a senseless tragedy. I think there's some meaning in many of us in our thirties knowing exactly who his name is and what happened.

We're older, colder and less connected now as a city, but that was always a reminder to me of what Calgary was and more importantly a life lost (yes, I know lives are lost everyday, but our brains are wired to give meaning to individual events and people, and that's one for me, and if you think you're different you're likely fooling yourself).

Last edited by jayswin; 08-02-2020 at 12:26 AM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2020, 08:16 AM   #156
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's been gone for awhile, but I've always identified with it as a nearly life long Calgarian. To me that memorial represented a young, innocent Calgary brought into the present, beyond the loss of an officer to a senseless tragedy. I think there's some meaning in many of us in our thirties knowing exactly who his name is and what happened.

We're older, colder and less connected now as a city, but that was always a reminder to me of what Calgary was and more importantly a life lost (yes, I know lives are lost everyday, but our brains are wired to give meaning to individual events and people, and that's one for me, and if you think you're different you're likely fooling yourself).

That story was a big deal.

If it happened now, people might be sad for about 10 minutes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:44 AM   #157
Flashpoint
Not the 1 millionth post winnar

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

What was the story?

Oilers give up a pick and a player to take on 5.5 mil."
-Bax
Flashpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 08:46 AM   #158
metallicat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Uh no, it would still be a huge deal.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7014911/c...ck-sonnenberg/
Old 08-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #159
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah a cop being killed in the line of duty is extremely rare in Calgary. There's actually only been two since then, and both of them were accidents. So he was actually the last police officer in Calgary murdered by a criminal.

https://www.calgary.ca/cps/tribute-t...-officers.html
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 09:55 AM   #160
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bump.

Not quite AITA but a moral dilemma. Neighbor's package arrived at my doorstep. I get a package from Amazon almost daily so didn't think much of it and opened it without looking who it's addressed to. It's a vibrator. The next day, another package arrives. Essential oils. In that house there is a couple with 2 girls. I don't know any of their names so can't tell who it's for but both are addressed to the same person. I guess she's doing some early Christmas shopping for herself.

Should I: knock on their door and explain and give it to them, or just leave it on their doorstep (it's opened so they'd know someone saw it) without knocking, or keep it? if I give it to them it's guaranteed to be embarrassing for at least one of them.

But keeping it doesn't seem 100% right - it's not mine and it's not addressed to me. Or send it back to Amazon? That sounds like a pain.

Or - a friend suggested - bundle it all in a gift bag with a bottle of wine and leave it on their doorstep. The wine would be fitting in this case but again would be embarrassing for someone.
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
"what am i?"