Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #381
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
These all sound like great reminders of the fact we should never forget: Nature is always trying to kill you. Let’s kill it first.
We do seem to be moving pretty quickly in that direction...
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2019, 11:21 AM   #382
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whatever it takes to make the mosquito extinct.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #383
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This actually happened to me once when I was up north (also, don't eat the wild mushrooms):

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 08-09-2019 at 11:33 AM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2019, 09:12 PM   #384
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://theprovince.com/news/crime/b...box=1565123183

Quote:
Nathan Neckoway, a councillor for Tataskweyak Cree Nation, about 87 kilometres southwest of Gillam, posted online that he believed the boat belonged to a family member. He said it was already damaged and he doubts whether anyone could have used it.
Not new news, but easily missed the first time through. Of course there is no guarantee that this family member lived on Split Lake (or that the boat was theirs), but it would be really interesting if the damaged boat originated in relative proximity to York Landing.

It would be strange for them to travel all the way to Split Lake area, only to end up right back where they started, but the boat discovery timeline is also strange...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2019, 09:25 PM   #385
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
Horse flies tried to kill me hiking today. You can take your mosquito spray and huck it in the garbage if you have to deal with horse flies. Horse flies don't give a f. They've either figured out how to dive bomb in and out before it takes effect, or they literally don't care about deet. You have to use bear spray on them. I have three knee caps on each leg now. The bites swell up hideously. Is that even normal?
Ah thanks for clearing that up. As a "fly" i was wondering why they are so annoying. I didn't know they bite. I just thought they annoyed you like the common flys in Calgary. Like land on your food or buzz by your ears... haha

So i'm guessing there are no horse flys in Calgary? flies? Shows you how much i know about insects. Not even sure what is the plural for fly....

Last edited by Johnny Makarov; 08-10-2019 at 09:27 PM.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 12:57 AM   #386
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
After hearing about the insects I’m wondering how the fur trade ever got going. Did the natives and early Europeans have some type of insect repellent or were men just a lot tougher back then?
As I recall from a Jack London short story they would cake themselves in mud, head to toe
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 04:53 AM   #387
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Ah thanks for clearing that up. As a "fly" i was wondering why they are so annoying. I didn't know they bite. I just thought they annoyed you like the common flys in Calgary. Like land on your food or buzz by your ears... haha

So i'm guessing there are no horse flys in Calgary? flies? Shows you how much i know about insects. Not even sure what is the plural for fly....
Horse flies don't really bite. They slice you open and then lap up the blood. They use some kind of anesthetic so you don't feel them doing it. They are also big enough to survive multiple swats. They leave a large welt.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2019, 10:55 AM   #388
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horse/deer flies are brutal. I don’t believe you can apply spray to ward them off like skeeters.

Two years ago I biked frisby ridge in revelstoke. As we were getting above the tree line they became worse and worse. When I was done riding I had over a dozen bites on my back.

Having a mechanical issue on that trail would have been no fun due to them attacking
Old 08-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #389
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

My first job after high school was doing some tree-wrapping and noxious weed removal for an Alberta conservation non-profit, Basically, wading through the bush along the Bow River south of Calgary in one of the worst horse/deer fly seasons in Albertan history.

You learn really quickly that you need to wear tough canvas trousers and long sleeves in the bush, and something to cover your head, but for the first little while, I would just go out with bug spray in shorts and tee and was coming back covered in giant horsefly welts.

In addition to the pain, they also inject you with some kind of blood thinner, so the wounds take forever to close and would open up again really easily.

Goddam, they are the filthiest of creatures.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 02:55 PM   #390
guzzy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That sucks. I was hoping it was the elements that got them. At least they would have suffered a little bit.
guzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #391
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://globalnews.ca/news/5740372/b...topsy-results/

I have to assume the elements wore them down a bit. At least they were probably hopeless in the end. I'm pretty sure this isn't how they planned things to go...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 04:48 PM   #392
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://globalnews.ca/news/5740372/b...topsy-results/

I have to assume the elements wore them down a bit. At least they were probably hopeless in the end. I'm pretty sure this isn't how they planned things to go...
CBC news is saying suicide by gunfire.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...date-1.5243741
Old 08-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #393
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

They died like sad pathetic numpties, nothing heroic or laudable about them, I'm ok with that
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2019, 12:24 PM   #394
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They use some kind of anesthetic so you don't feel them doing it.
Well the one that got me must have skipped that step, hurt like a MF. Nice welt to boot. Least I killed him when I felt the searing pain in the back of my leg. On par with a hornet sting.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 05:06 AM   #395
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

"In the first of three videos, Mr. Schmegelsky, 18, said the two were responsible for the deaths of Chynna Deese, Lucas Fowler and Leonard Dyck. They planned to make their way to Hudson Bay, hijack a boat and go to Europe or Africa, he said. In the second video, Mr. Schmegelsky said they have reached a big and fast-moving river and may have to kill themselves, to which Mr. McLeod, 19, agreed. They again took responsibility for the murders and showed no remorse. In a third, the pair say the video is their last will and testament and ask to be cremated." https://www.theglobeandmail.com/cana...they-recorded/

"The young suspects of three murders in northern B.C. this summer admitting to the killings shortly before their own deaths, but did not say why they committed the violent crimes. RCMP released the information Friday along with its exhaustive investigative findings into the murders, including several other pieces of evidence that linked Bryer Schmegelsky and Kam McLeod to the deaths." https://globalnews.ca/news/5961627/northern-bc-murders-rcmp-findings/
The Following User Says Thank You to Tsawwassen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2020, 06:33 AM   #396
Tsawwassen
Franchise Player

Exp:

A year after manhunt for teen murder suspects, some in Manitoba town (Gillam) are forever changed

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...id=mailsignout
Old 07-27-2020, 11:59 AM   #397
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kinda expected we might know a few more details by now. In a normal summer, the anniversary would probably be a good prompt for journalists to dig in a typically slow news time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote